Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AtGames Genesis clones at Walgreens

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default AtGames Genesis clones at Walgreens

Just picked one of these up, they're pretty cool even if the sound emulation is bad...

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/atg...046677-product

Cool that you can take .bin files and put them on an SD card and they will work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Did it work for you?

I purchased one last week for $25 and returned it because it was quite bad detecting the motion on the motion games. I tried tennis and the damn thing would not register correctly, starting a match or not.

Sound emulation was terrible. Some games sounded "acceptable", but many were grinding to my ears.

I did like the small Sonic logo on the left side of the unit, but it wasn't worth the $25 I spent. I exchanged it for a Microsoft Xbox 360 1600 points card.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can one of you guys post up the UPC barcode for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Sound emulation was terrible. Some games sounded "acceptable", but many were grinding to my ears.
    This now makes me want to buy one and play Shadow of the Beast on it. The music in that game was so grating on my ears, I couldn't imagine it being any worse. Maybe this machine will challenge that notion.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Those are infrared controllers are they not?

How terrible is the lag on those?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

The motion games were pretty much crap on those units.

The Genesis games, however, actually played properly. Quite responsive.

I did find out how they, the company, took each game and basically 'divided" them into levels or segments...similar to a level select of sorts.

Now, can someone clarify what the hell were the buttons on the side of the controllers, near the directional pad? Those NEVER worked for me...but I admit, I have no idea what they were used for anyway.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Near the top of the remote? They are for plugging in those "attachment" things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FINALLY, a way to play Sonic at home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Walgreens is clearing them out as xmas inventory now. fifteen bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This is a quality product for $20.00 or so. ZERO lag with the input for Genesis games, it's pretty crazy that it works as well as it does.

There was a pretty big thread over at KLOV about these starting back in mid December when they were in the weekly ad. Lots of information there.

Genesis play is pretty decent, the usual clone sound issues but solid performance and the controllers work really well for Genesis games. In other words the sound is fine, it's not perfect but come on - an SD slot all in one Genesis clone for twenty bucks? Honestly if you bought this to play the "motion" games you really are missing the point.

The only big issue is that the system always thinks there's a six button controller connected. The controllers themselves have four face buttons so you get A, B, C and X. If you shake the controller it registers that as the Y button. There is no Z button. So games that use the six button controller are pretty much unplayable. That's how the "motion" games work, it's looking for that Y button press from shaking the controller.

Here's one of my posts from the KLOV thread, I suggest everyone interested in these read that thread.

Still working great, here are some incompatibilities I came across.

Contra Hard Corps has a background scrolling problem which makes it unplayable.
    Super Monaco GP / GP II have a screen tearing effect on the left side, still play fine.
    Comix Zone will develop problems like Contra where the background isn't matching the platform detection.
    Rockman Megaworld doesn't always want to load.
    Streets of Rage 3 is a pain in the ass to play since the game thinks you have a 6 button pad connected. So every time you move the controller it does the function of the Y button I believe.

Games like OutRun and Ghosts N' Goblins have slow audio but again, audio emulation is always the catch with these clones. Castlevania, Micro Machines, Shinobi III, all fine.

The SD card submenu is buried at the bottom of the second menu from the title screen. The system will write an index file the first time it reads the card. If you add / remove games make sure you delete the index file so that it'll update the menu on the next pass. It also doesn't like SDHC cards for the most part. I would also recommend removing the wrists straps as it makes the controllers far more comfortable to hold.

I've played Moonwalker and Golden Axe III front to back on it without any issues.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 02-02-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Neat ... good to know that the IR controllers actually work decently.

Tempting at that price however between the plug & play Hong Kong Genesis controllers with the SD card input and the Gopher portable system (which also has SD card input and TV out) I think even I'll pass on this one.

Unless I need to go across the stree to Walgreens for some toilet paper or something.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Unless I need to go across the stree to Walgreens for some toilet paper or something.
    When I noticed the thread on KLOV (I was pretty late to the party on this one) I had nothing going on that night and my girlfriend was visiting some friends and had the car. So I decided I'd walk to the nearest Walgreens and pick one up. I walk a lot, it's good for me, it's good for the environment, everyone wins. It's about a mile and a half to the Walgreens, all city blocks, and I checked availability online before leaving. Most interesting thing about the walk was about 30 blocks were completely blacked out at the peak of rush hour and holiday shopping. The blackout began on the block down from my apartment. Crossing the expressway under those conditions, with no traffic lights, was an experience.

Anyway, it was also misting rain occasionally, the kind an umbrella doesn't do much to help with. I get to the Walgreens and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I show them the ad, have an employee scour the store with me, but no game system. I hang my head and begin the journey home. The traffic jam from the blackout meant that hopping a bus would have taken hours to cover what I could on foot in twenty minutes. I get home, soaked, cold and tired. But I was determined. I called the next closest Walgreens and they said they had a ton of them. I ask to have one put on hold and head out. By now the rain had stopped and I caught the last bus down in the other direction to get to the other Walgreens as it was quite a bit farther away. I get there, buy my system and catch the last bus back home. Got inside, dried off, turned the heater on and filled up an SD card with Genesis ROM images.

Was it worth it? Yeah. I love stuff like this and it was an interesting evening adventure that would have otherwise been spent sitting at home playing Subspace or procrastinating about writing I should have been doing. I ended up buying a second one before they went off sale, just for the hell of it as a possible gift idea.

Strange as it sounds, if the damn thing wasn't shaped like Sonic's head I probably wouldn't have been as interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Since I trust David and I don't typically care much about Genesis clone audio issues I went across the street to pick one up from Walgreens.

I do NOT believe that the controllers are strictly IR. I completely blocked the IR sensor and was still able to move in Sonic the Hedgehog.

That is to say I'm completely impressed with this little thing. For $30 (that's what they ring up at now), with the SD slot and a BIN formatted Genesis full-set I'm happy to have it in my clone collection.

Audio stinks, but the controllers are WAY WAY above my expectations, especially after the nightmare/laugh-fest that is the Retron 3's IR controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

That is to say I'm completely impressed with this little thing. For $30 (that's what they ring up at now), with the SD slot and a BIN formatted Genesis full-set I'm happy to have it in my clone collection.

Audio stinks, but the controllers are WAY WAY above my expectations, especially after the nightmare/laugh-fest that is the Retron 3's IR controllers.
    Have you tried playing the motion games? Those are TERRIBLE with the controller. At least the one I returned, it would "work" whenever it felt like it.

I may pick this up again if it hits $15 or less. Just gotta wait.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the walgreens I was at had them for $14.99, i got myself 1 and a backup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
    When was it? This week?

I may need to check to see what I can find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Have you tried playing the motion games? Those are TERRIBLE with the controller. At least the one I returned, it would "work" whenever it felt like it.

I may pick this up again if it hits $15 or less. Just gotta wait.
    Hmm. Wonder why my Walgreens had it for $30. No big deal as far as I'm concerned since I like it.

As far as the motion side of the controllers go, well, those things are just silly, and I have a few of those HK Wii clones and Ping-Pong paddle games, It's on par with those IMO.

There's no real sensitivty in the motion recognition, so compared to a real Wii yes, it's crap, but as far as it recognizing each flick move that I did I didn't have any problems.

But, honestly I'm never going to play those games, as far as the Genesis side of things I'm floored at how responsive the controller is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg View Post
    I think it might be a regional clearance thing for $14.99. A couple days ago I found one and it was ringing up at $29.99. Back when the thread started up at KLOV they were on sale for $19.99.

You can also get away with using extensions other than .BIN if I remember correctly. It's been awhile since I've played around with the SD card but I'm pretty sure it ran the other formats fine. .SMD and .GEN if I'm remembering correctly? Controller range is REALLY good. I think due to the amount of IR emitters on the controllers (something like five) it can throw out signal in a wide enough band that the technology isn't an issue.

If you remove the two screws on the controller nearest to the bottom you can pull it apart enough to yank out the wrist strap - far more comfortable. I also like that the battery compartment screws can be completely removed and the battery doors will remain on. I HATE the Fort Knox battery door screws that nearly everything uses these days. Of course if the old 80's Coleco tabletop VFD arcade games used those, they probably wouldn't be missing all the time.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I guess our Walgreens has their head in the sand.

That same clone unit was $15 around Christmas time but after the 25th, the price on it went back up to $45 and has stayed there ever since. I've continued to check and it hasn't gone down yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Just checked to one of the Walgreens close to me. It's still for $29.99. Of course, prices do vary depending on the Walgreens. So I may check the other two locations to see if there is any price change.