Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ-Flash IV GBA version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EZ-Flash IV GBA version

Anyone have one of these? Could someone do a quick test for me and tell me if they fit into a normal GBA cart? I wanted to swap it with an import gba game
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.....you'd have to do some Dremel cutting I think....otherwise the memory card would stick out a little. Other than that, should be about the same size....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean "memory card"? I've been getting this response on a few sites and I've been looking for an explanation. The EZ Flash 1-3 doesn't use an SD based memory card.. The game is written to the EZ by the DS.
    Click Me!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought an EZ-Flash 2 without knowing what it does. How do you download games to it?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52282791@N03/5413816354/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    What do you mean "memory card"? I've been getting this response on a few sites and I've been looking for an explanation. The EZ Flash 1-3 doesn't use an SD based memory card.. The game is written to the EZ by the DS.
    Ahhhh.....but the EZ Flash IV DOES use a mini-SD card There's a big distinction between the 1-3 (which fits flush into the DS Lite Slot 2) and the EZ Flash IV which is the same size and shape as a GBA cart already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I bought an EZ-Flash 2 without knowing what it does. How do you download games to it?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52282791@N03/5413816354/
    You need a slot-1 cart that can run homebrew, you run the homebrew form the flashcart and it writes a game (whatever one you have on the cart along with the homebrew) onto the EZ Flash

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Ahhhh.....but the EZ Flash IV DOES use a mini-SD card There's a big distinction between the 1-3 (which fits flush into the DS Lite Slot 2) and the EZ Flash IV which is the same size and shape as a GBA cart already.
    Whoops, I meant the 1-3! here's a picture.

I've been told that this DOESN'T fit inside a normal GBA sized cart and I have no idea why. It looks exactly the same.
    Click Me!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Happy, that's not an EZ Flash V. The V was designed solely for the Nintendo DS and was the form factor of the DS carts. Like a square. The last one they did for the GBA size was the IV, which is what I have. What you have is the 3 in 1 expansion for the DS. At least the early form of it, they've since made it smaller. That will not work on the GBA.

This is where I bought my EZ IV, it's still there and $35 (real hot stuff). The pain with it is getting the mini-sd in and out. Loading GBA roms is easy, just google for some FAQ's. There are also emulators for every classic system; however, the drawback is that you have to use an exe to basically compile all the roms you want of the old stuff into a single file. But it works.

There was a better GBA Flash cart, forget the name, but it went out of print.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Happy, that's not an EZ Flash V. The V was designed solely for the Nintendo DS and was the form factor of the DS carts. Like a square. The last one they did for the GBA size was the IV, which is what I have. What you have is the 3 in 1 expansion for the DS. At least the early form of it, they've since made it smaller. That will not work on the GBA.

This is where I bought my EZ IV, it's still there and $35 (real hot stuff). The pain with it is getting the mini-sd in and out. Loading GBA roms is easy, just google for some FAQ's. There are also emulators for every classic system; however, the drawback is that you have to use an exe to basically compile all the roms you want of the old stuff into a single file. But it works.

There was a better GBA Flash cart, forget the name, but it went out of print.
    I have an EZ Flash IV, good stuff. For a GBA sized cart, I recommend it.

Most importantly it has enough ram to handle games that use a lot of memory, mode 7 type scaling, etc. with no slow-down.

That's the biggest problem I found with the GBA flash carts, to reduce cost most of the manufacturers at the time would use substandard levels/types of of on-board ram. They work fine for the less memory intensive games, but drop something like Mario Kart on there and you'll find that the software just chugs.

NDSCardsale.com (DealExtreme's sister site, reliable also faster shipping than DX) also has them.

$24

http://www.ndscardsale.com/product/E...for-GBA-SP-NDS
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use my IV daily in my GB Micro. Works like a cham. And to get around removing the mini sd everytime, I use a mini sd adapter with a micro sd card. Don't have to remove the adapter, just the micro sd card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright everyone, cool information but are you reading my OP? All I want to know is if they fit inside another DS shell and if not why and what needs to be shaved down..
    Click Me!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Why wouldn't it fit in a DS? It's made for the DS. You should be able to unscrew it and see how big the board is inside, but I doubt it will fit in a DS game case. Otherwise they would have used a DS shell.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit. This thread must have some sort of reading comprehension suppression field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Alright everyone, cool information but are you reading my OP? All I want to know is if they fit inside another DS shell and if not why and what needs to be shaved down..
    Did you read your original post?

You want to fit it in a GBA shell, not a DS shell.

GBA cartridge shell =/= DS cartridge shell.

As far as your question is concerned, I don't see why it wouldn't fit, you'll probably just need to do a bit of surgery to the internals of the GBA shell, the center screw post will probably need to go and some other means of getting the board to stay put would be needed, also you'll lose the ability to swap out the mini SD card.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that you're confused?

1. They won't fit in a DS game cart shell no matter what of course...but I don't think that's what you're saying.

2. They'll fit into a DS Lite Slot 2, but will stick out...and the board is too big to cut down.

3. The board inside SHOULD fit into another GBA cart (which is what you originally asked) but you will have to do some dremel cutting on the side to accomodate for the memory card slot on the right side of the EZ Flash IV GBA cart as the memory card sticks out beyond the edge of the cart's PCB and if you didn't cut a slot, you'd not be able to install a card in it...making it useless. I did answer that in my first response...

If you buy one you'll see...there's a cart slot on the right side of the cartridge case that fits a mini-SD card. You'll have to cut a slot of the same size into your replacement GBA cart. I'm not sure if the internal structure is the same as a regular GBA cart either...so you might have to do some tweaking there...which begs the question....why bother?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Did you read your original post?

You want to fit it in a GBA shell, not a DS shell.

GBA cartridge shell =/= DS cartridge shell.

As far as your question is concerned, I don't see why it wouldn't fit, you'll probably just need to do a bit of surgery to the internals of the GBA shell, the center screw post will probably need to go and some other means of getting the board to stay put would be needed, also you'll lose the ability to swap out the mini SD card.
    I don't remember asking to put a DS game in a GBA shell? I'm looking to put the 1-3 inside a GBA shell which is a slot-2 device. But it looks like I missed your first post, I think you got what I was looking for.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 02-06-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Okay, lol.

In my OP I said i was looking for a EZ Flash IV GBA and by that I meant the EZ Flash IV 1-3 that is the GBA sized cart. In my next post I specified that I meant the 1-3, and I included a picture of what I was actually taking about. Everyone seems to think I'm talking about the EZ Flash IV But what I'm actually talking about is the EZ Flash IV 1-3
    Right. And you showed a picture of the fat version.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with shell swapping, but again, I'd expect the necessity for modifications to the inside of the GBA shell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah, sorry everyone. I was very confused with the EZ Flash V 3in1 and the EZ Flash IV and apparently I was seeing things as well (I could of swore I saw an EZ Flash IV 1-3). Looking back everyone knew what I had mixed up except me, I had no idea I was so ignorant.. I'm really sorry!

I thought that the EZ Flash V 3in1 was for GBA because it was shapped like a GBA game, but it doesn't.

Now that I'm done being stupid (hopefully) What I'm understanding is that the EZ Flash IV does fit inside a normal GBA Cart with a little cutting because of the SD cart that sticks out, so what exactly do you cut off safely to get it to fit? Also, if you only have one rom on the SD cart will it directly boot to the game, this is very important to me.

Thanks for sticking with me.
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 02-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread's gotten me thinking.

I've had one of these for awhile now. I have no idea how to use it. I recall having some software at one point but it never worked.

Any ideas on how to get it working?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    This thread's gotten me thinking.

I've had one of these for awhile now. I have no idea how to use it. I recall having some software at one point but it never worked.

Any ideas on how to get it working?

I recall that most of the early generation GBA flash cartridges need Windows OS'es earlier than XP to be recognized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah, sorry everyone. I was very confused with the EZ Flash V 3in1 and the EZ Flash IV and apparently I was seeing things as well (I could of swore I saw an EZ Flash IV 1-3). Looking back everyone knew what I had mixed up except me, I had no idea I was so ignorant.. I'm really sorry!

I thought that the EZ Flash V 3in1 was for GBA because it was shapped like a GBA game, but it doesn't.

Now that I'm done being stupid (hopefully) What I'm understanding is that the EZ Flash IV does fit inside a normal GBA Cart with a little cutting because of the SD cart that sticks out, so what exactly do you cut off safely to get it to fit? Also, if you only have one rom on the SD cart will it directly boot to the game, this is very important to me.

Thanks for sticking with me.
    Ok...gonna try to dive in....again. :P

Are you talking about THIS slot 2 cart for DS Lite?:

Or this GBA flash card:

As you can see, the EZ Flash IV in the 2nd picture has an inset slot on the side for a mini-SD card, and would require room for the miniSD card on a different cart if you wanted to take the circuit board out and put it in a different cart. It also does NOT boot directly to the game...ever. It boots to a bizarre Chinese and symbol laden main menu and you kind of have to figure out how to get it going from there...

I still don't understand why you'd WANT to do that though....the cart casing it comes in fits fine in any GBA....

If you're trying to get the one in the FIRST picture into a GBA....I have no idea. I don't even know if that one would work in a GBA....