Thread: How much better is the PSP 3000 over the 1000?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default How much better is the PSP 3000 over the 1000?

With the upcoming release of Tactics Ogre on the PSP, and Kmart's $129.99 sale, I've been thinking of upgrading my launch day model PSP-1000. I've read a few things about the PSP-3000 having a brighter screen, extended battery life, lighter, etc.

Just curious if anyone has any personal experience, anecdotes, or opinions on whether it's worth the upgrade.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    With the upcoming release of Tactics Ogre on the PSP, and Kmart's $129.99 sale, I've been thinking of upgrading my launch day model PSP-1000. I've read a few things about the PSP-3000 having a brighter screen, extended battery life, lighter, etc.

Just curious if anyone has any personal experience, anecdotes, or opinions on whether it's worth the upgrade.
    I haven't used a PSP3000 but I can tell you the 2000 is a lot better. The battery life isn't really extended much. It's a smaller system so it has a smaller battery, so in the end it has about the same usage available.

Also on the Phat PSP has the speakers on the very bottom of the system, a lot of times drowning out the sound, so they are now located on the front of the system to the sides of the screen(two small holes.) better color screen(3000,) possibly better refresh rate(3000,) and also noticeably lighter are correct. Don't forget about the TV out though as an additional feature.

One thing about the PSP Slim, either version I assume, is the amount of load time it reduces on games. While it won't effect all games by much, it will effect all games, and some of the longer load time games might actually have reasonable load times. Example. Ys6 Ark of Napishtim Phat has about 6-10 seconds of load times per room, while Slim will have between 1-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjkGo3SMbYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pa-Siu2kZA

*edit*

What sales date for the $129.99 PSP3000 btw? I currently need another as my UMD drive no longer works. Happened to my phat first and now my slim.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What sales date for the $129.99 PSP3000 btw? I currently need another as my UMD drive no longer works. Happened to my phat first and now my slim.
    The Kmart sale ends tomorrow (Feb. 5th). Amazon has pricematched, and I assume they'll go back to $169.99 by Sunday too.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

So I assume that emulators are playable on the 3000? If so I'm severely tempted by this deal as the DS really hasn't lived up to my portable classics expectations...
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    So I assume that emulators are playable on the 3000? If so I'm severely tempted by this deal as the DS really hasn't lived up to my portable classics expectations...
    Kupo can help you with that.

I've been reading several methods, but it's all just too confusing.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

To me..it's not worth shelling out the money for the same thing u already have.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

As far as play-time goes, the official Sony extended battery + cover (adds about two milimeters to the back battery plate) will add a few hours of play time.

http://www.buy.com/prod/psp-extended...210935357.html

You'll trade off the ability to put the 3000 in form-fitting cradles or docks, but for the extra play time it's worth it IMO.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I'd say it's worth it. After I sold off my PSP-1000 last year, I happened to get my hands on a used (That being the keyword, with how beat up it was) PSP-3000 for $20. That was a major upgrade; the D-Pad was far superior, the screen was much nicer, and it was much lighter. I tried to go back to the 1000, when I was getting it updated for my brother-in-law, whom I sold it to, but I couldn't; 3000 is better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a 1000, 3000 and Go.

The 3000 isn't much smaller but is much lighter. I was surprised how light it is. The screen is a bit brighter, but the psp has always had a nice screen.

People complain about some screen issues on the 3000 (ripping or tearing or something). The screen is great, the complainers are nitpickers.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post

The 3000 isn't much smaller but is much lighter. I was surprised how light it is. The screen is a bit brighter, but the psp has always had a nice screen.

People complain about some screen issues on the 3000 (ripping or tearing or something). The screen is great, the complainers are nitpickers.
    It suffers from significant interlacing. Actually took mine back twice thinking they were defective and then the articles started popping up online with others having the same problem.

You can see examples of the effect here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threa...read_id=127717

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If you spend a significant amount of time with a 1000 or 2000 it's pretty easy to notice the interlacing issues with the 3000.

Ultimately it's something that you can get used to and it's not the end of the world. Indeed there are nit-pickers.

I never got a 3000 but I have a Go which has the same screen, so I've adjusted.

Personally the 2000 has my favorite screen, slightly brighter with similar "soft" resolution to the 1000, no microscopic tearing between each line of resolution.

I'll take a bit of blur over a hard tear any day.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But some people seem to act as if the screen interlacing is so bad that its distracting, or that it interferes with normal use.

I dunno, it looks fine to me. I can only see if it I actually look for it.

I've never noticed it on the Go, but since the screen is a little smaller, maybe its just harder to see.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

But some people seem to act as if the screen interlacing is so bad that its distracting, or that it interferes with normal use.

I dunno, it looks fine to me. I can only see if it I actually look for it.

I've never noticed it on the Go, but since the screen is a little smaller, maybe its just harder to see.
    It is distracting, especially if you were accustomed to both the 1000 and 2000 models. I think Daxter came with the 3000 if I remember right, and as soon as I got home to play, I noticed it. As the camera spun, the image broke up severely across the entire background. Sadly, my 2000 had sold BiN on eBay and I was stuck with it. I'm playing through Ghost of Sparta this week and when you get into those really kinetic action scenes, the image is a mess of lines.

While the 1000 and 2000 had the usual array of LCD blurring problems, it was a stable image.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is there any variations between 3000 models?

I've got a white psp 3000 and don't have any issues with it. I can really only notice the screen tearing when navigating the XMB quickly. In game, I have no issues whatsoever.

In fact I just fired up LBP just to confirm and it looks fine.

My first PSP was a 1000 and I found the blurring annoying. I much prefer this.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

All the screens are exactly alike to replace, right? So heybtbm could swap out his 1000 screen with the 3000 screen or buy a new screen off Amazon which are probably the old LCD versions and not the new versions. I ordered a PSP3000 from Amazon for $130 after he mentioned Amazon price matched so I hope I'm happy with the PSP3000 screen and hope it isn't too noticeable. My PSP2000 even before the UMD went out I started to noticing quite a bit of ghosting on certain games so I hope the interlaced issue doesn't bother me as much as the ghosting.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSP 3000 doesn't have tearing or interlacing. It just has a weird visual artifact for which there is no commonly accepted terminology. Perhaps that's the cause of the confusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

All the screens are exactly alike to replace, right? So heybtbm could swap out his 1000 screen with the 3000 screen or buy a new screen off Amazon which are probably the old LCD versions and not the new versions. I ordered a PSP3000 from Amazon for $130 after he mentioned Amazon price matched so I hope I'm happy with the PSP3000 screen and hope it isn't too noticeable. My PSP2000 even before the UMD went out I started to noticing quite a bit of ghosting on certain games so I hope the interlaced issue doesn't bother me as much as the ghosting.
    No, they're not universal and all three have different connection hardware.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if youre buying new you might as well go with the 3000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're buying new it's really the only option, unless you include PSPGo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found out the hard way that they aren't when I broke my brother's PSP 2000 screen. PSP 1000 screens were easy to find cheap, but for some reason the 2000 screens were more expensive so I just saved the hassle and bought him a new 3000.

I only have a 3000 but I'm not distracted by any interlacing problems. I have to look really hard to even see it.

You can also hook a 2000 or a 3000 to a TV. The image is a little blurry and ugly from being blown up, but it's kind of a neat feature.