Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopgoodwill.com What do you think of them?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shopgoodwill.com What do you think of them?

Personally I think the prices are outrageous, as with the whole profiteering off free merchandise. It may be an open auction place, but I do doubt every bid is 100% honest on it.

It is nice though to browse through and lol when people are paying more on shopgoodwill then the going ebay price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by kirbykirb View Post
    ...the whole profiteering off free merchandise.
    Goodwill's a charity. They're not profiting, the money goes to support their non-store operations.

Anyway, isn't Shopgoodwill.com an auction site? If the prices go up high it's because that's what people are choosing to bid.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    Goodwill's a charity. They're not profiting, the money goes to support their non-store operations.

Anyway, isn't Shopgoodwill.com an auction site? If the prices go up high it's because that's what people are choosing to bid.

Nonprofit organization
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit_organization

While they are able to earn a profit, more accurately called a surplus, such earnings must be retained by the organization for its self-preservation, expansion and future plans. Earnings may not benefit individuals or stake-holders.[3] While some nonprofit organizations put substantial funds into hiring and rewarding their internal corporate leadership, middle-management personnel and workers, others employ unpaid volunteers and even executives may work for no compensation. However, since the late 1980s there has been a growing consensus that nonprofits can achieve their corporate targets more effectively by using some of the same methods developed in for-profit enterprises. These include effective internal management, ensuring accountability for results, and monitoring the performance of different divisions or projects in order to better benefit from their capital and workers. Those require satisfied management and that, in turn, begins with the organization's mission.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Nonprofit organization
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonprofit_organization

While they are able to earn a profit, more accurately called a surplus, such earnings must be retained by the organization for its self-preservation, expansion and future plans. Earnings may not benefit individuals or stake-holders.[3] While some nonprofit organizations put substantial funds into hiring and rewarding their internal corporate leadership, middle-management personnel and workers, others employ unpaid volunteers and even executives may work for no compensation. However, since the late 1980s there has been a growing consensus that nonprofits can achieve their corporate targets more effectively by using some of the same methods developed in for-profit enterprises. These include effective internal management, ensuring accountability for results, and monitoring the performance of different divisions or projects in order to better benefit from their capital and workers. Those require satisfied management and that, in turn, begins with the organization's mission.
    Yep, this is a big issue with Goodwill maximizing profit potential (don't blame them exactly since it is a business) but under the guise as a charity to have people open their wallets more easily and to advance internal programs for their own causes.

It's so/so, especially with a lot of goodwill auctions being re listed the rumor is flying that possibly there could be shill bidding.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yep, this is a big issue with Goodwill maximizing profit potential (don't blame them exactly since it is a business) but under the guise as a charity to have people open their wallets more easily and to advance internal programs for their own causes.

It's so/so, especially with a lot of goodwill auctions being re listed the rumor is flying that possibly there could be shill bidding.
    I'm sorry, but you are engaging in what could be construed as libel. Goodwill is not operating under the "guise" of charity. They are a charity. The funds they raise through donations and sales get plowed back into their rehabilitation programs. I have volunteered and been on the board of several charitable organizations over the years and I am very familiar with Goodwill and its good efforts. You have no evidence that Goodwill is engaging in fraud and no proof that they are bid shilling. I would suggest you stop now before you draw the attention of their attorneys. Just because you are on the Internet doesn't mean you can post any defamatory statement you want on a public website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotta agree....Goodwill is one of the good charities out there....not a scummy one like United Way....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you are engaging in what could be construed as libel. Goodwill is not operating under the "guise" of charity. They are a charity. The funds they raise through donations and sales get plowed back into their rehabilitation programs. I have volunteered and been on the board of several charitable organizations over the years and I am very familiar with Goodwill and its good efforts. You have no evidence that Goodwill is engaging in fraud and no proof that they are bid shilling. I would suggest you stop now before you draw the attention of their attorneys. Just because you are on the Internet doesn't mean you can post any defamatory statement you want on a public website.
    No I'm not. Put down the Phoenix Wright game.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I don't know about their auctions but I managed to go to a Goodwill on Saturday and they had a bare Gamecube without controllers or hookups for $24.99, it also had a bunch of "AS IS" stickers all over it. Gamecubes are $24.99 plus tax at EB Games and they come with a controller and hookups while also being guaranteed to work. You're saving the cost of tax but I don't think it's worth it. It's kind of like a Robin Hood type of charity, rip off the customers to give to the needy.

I did manage to pick up a sealed copy of Day of the Jackal on DVD for $3.99 but that's it. I'm really surprised whenever I see people posting great finds from Goodwill, it's been years since I've found anything really good there.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have no evidence that Goodwill is engaging in fraud and no proof that they are bid shilling.
    I have WITNESSED my local Goodwill selling fake Louis Vuitton purses as the real deal at the same time knowing them to be fake. If that doesn't constitute fraud I don't know what does.

Goodwill is, in fact, a charity organization but they are not all puppies and cupcakes like some people who defend them claim. They do not use the most ethic business practices, and I will stand by that because I have witnessed them (not just the purse thing either). Why do you think they created Shopgoodwill.com? So their items would sell for as much if not more than eBay prices. People pay a premium if they feel their money will go to charity.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post

Goodwill is, in fact, a charity organization but they are not all puppies and cupcakes like some people who defend them claim. They do not use the most ethic business practices, and I will stand by that because I have witnessed them (not just the purse thing either). Why do you think they created Shopgoodwill.com? So their items would sell for as much if not more than eBay prices. People pay a premium if they feel their money will go to charity.
    Exactly! I'm glad someone else noticed this. Charity operated stores are a notch on top those thrift stores that accept donations :lol:. Goodwill is not an 100% squeaky clean company, they have downs, and these downs affect them more largely then another company because of the nature of them being a "not for profit" corporation and accepting donated goods.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't need to play any game, I'm actually a practicing attorney and have been for many years. If you have evidence that anyone from Goodwill.com is engaged in shill bidding, please provide it. If you similarly have evidence that Goodwill is doing anything that would prevent them from continuing to be a 501(c)(3) charity, please provide it. Selling items that are donated is something many charities do. The proceeds are put into their programs and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it from a legal or ethical perspective. If you don't have any evidence, you need to stop posting the things you have been posting. Not only does it make you look like an idiot, but you are subjecting yourself and the operators of this website to potential liability. You need to stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't need to play any game, I'm actually a practicing attorney and have been for many years. If you have evidence that anyone from Goodwill.com is engaged in shill bidding, please provide it. If you similarly have evidence that Goodwill is doing anything that would prevent them from continuing to be a 501(c)(3) charity, please provide it. Selling items that are donated is something many charities do. The proceeds are put into their programs and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it from a legal or ethical perspective. If you don't have any evidence, you need to stop posting the things you have been posting. Not only does it make you look like an idiot, but you are subjecting yourself and the operators of this website to potential liability. You need to stop.
    You're dealing with a 12-year-old. You know you're right, we know you're right, just ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    You're dealing with a 12-year-old. You know you're right, we know you're right, just ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.
    That's the best thing I've read on this forum all night.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

He doesn't look like an idiot to me, just a guy with an opinion. I'm NOT a lawyer, but I seriously doubt that he or she, or the operators of this site, have to worry about the Goodwill Gestapo filing suit against them.

That's probably the funniest thing I've ever read at this forum.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wah Wah Wah, I'm the Penguin!

The fact is (accusations aside) shopgoodwill.com has horrible shipping rates and their auctions usually end higher than Ebay or Amazon prices. If you want to think it's bc people are idiots that's fine. What bothers me is that Goodwill (and all thrift stores for that matter) do NOT simply have a responsibility to their charitable organization. They have a responsibility to their community as well.

Historically, thrift stores operated to serve two needs: they gave jobs to people who would otherwise not be able to hold or maintain a job, and they sold goods to the poor neighborhoods in which they were located as a means of helping poor people obtain goods they would not normally be able to. Shopgoodwill.com defeats entirely that second purpose. (As does the stores' outrageous prices, but that's a topic for another thread.) They take items OUT of the community and sell it to the highest bidder. It's shameful, pure and simple.

I grew up poor. I know what's it like to only be able to afford second-hand toys. If Shopgoodwill had existed back then, I never would have had any Star Wars, Transformers or Space 1999 toys b/c fat losers on the internet would have bid on them and taken em all. (Except there really wasn't much of an internet back then.) Yes, there were people who bought up stuff just to resell it. At least having fast hands trumped having deeper pockets and more cash.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one time I've visited shopgoodwill.com I also noticed that their auctions were extremely high so I didn't bid on anything. But as far as the normal day to day stores go, I have gotten tons of good deals from various Goodwill locations. But I have also passed on tons of stuff at Goodwill because they were priced as if they were being sold on ebay(Lunar 2 complete for PS1 for $60 is one example).

While it's nice that the money that comes from Goodwill donations goes to a good cause, some of the stores really need to stop using ebay as a measuring stick of how much to sell stuff for. Just wait until Goodwill gets a complete copy of Stadium Events for the Nes. How much do you think they are going to sell it for? Some of the ones near me would have no hessitation with pricing it at $1000 or more.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    He doesn't look like an idiot to me, just a guy with an opinion. I'm NOT a lawyer, but I seriously doubt that he or she, or the operators of this site, have to worry about the Goodwill Gestapo filing suit against them.
    Cool, thanks for your worthless opinion that totally misses the point, White Noise Poster #25312

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Historically, thrift stores operated to serve two needs: they gave jobs to people who would otherwise not be able to hold or maintain a job, and they sold goods to the poor neighborhoods in which they were located as a means of helping poor people obtain goods they would not normally be able to. Shopgoodwill.com defeats entirely that second purpose.
    haha what? This has literally never been the case. I'm sure it happens, but it is not a goal, anywhere. They bring items to lower-class neighborhoods because they're much more likely to buy second-hand items. Simple as that.

I grew up poor. I know what's it like to only be able to afford second-hand toys. If Shopgoodwill had existed back then, I never would have had any Star Wars, Transformers or Space 1999 toys b/c fat losers on the internet would have bid on them and taken em all. (Except there really wasn't much of an internet back then.) Yes, there were people who bought up stuff just to resell it. At least having fast hands trumped having deeper pockets and more cash.
    Big deal. I grew up poor too. Who cares? A lot of people do and you're not special because of it. Oh shit, you were close to not having Space 1999 toys? FUUUCKKKK that would be just so....... cruel. Be happy for what you have, not what you don't. Nice whiny, sour grapes post though.

These shopgoodwill/thrift store threads are seriously the dregs of these forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Being a douche bag doesn't really add weigh to your arguments, or make your opinions any more worthwhile than the next guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Being a douche bag doesn't really add weigh to your arguments, or make your opinions any more worthwhile than the next guys.
    you entered a thread with posts from a real lawyer and gave incorrect advice on a legal matter, while simultaneously completely missing the point. keep up the a+ posting!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I didn't give anyone 'legal advice', troll. I didn't even make a suggestion. I simply offered my opinion, which is what this forum exists for. Moreover, I didn't miss anyone's point, I simple don't agree that a libel suit from The Goodwill is a realistic concern here. The sky will not fall because an anonymous person on a gaming website voices their opinion on The Goodwill store's perceived shitty business model.

Keep up the D- posting!!!!