Thread: Problem: Vectrex doesn't show any picture when a cartridge is inserted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem: Vectrex doesn't show any picture when a cartridge is inserted

Hi,

I have recently bought a Vectrex from a German retro store and a VecMulti cartridge from vectrex.biz. MineStorm, the builtin game, plays fine but when I insert the cartridge my Vectrex doesn't show any picture. I just hear the buzzing sound but not that loud as when it displays some graphics.

The guy from the vectrex.biz site sent me another cartridge with a preformatted MicroSD card in it. He wrote me, that the cartridge works on both of his Vectrex consoles, just like the first one he sent me which I have sent back now. On my Vectrex, either of the two cartridges work so there has to be a problem with the Vectrex itself. The VecMulti cart with the preformatted MicroSD card is my only Vectrex cartridge now.

I have looked up for my problem but didn't find any help, so I hope that somebody can help me here. I hope you understand my problem, English isn't my first language.

Thanks.
    My consoles
    Atari2600, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Vectrex, Xbox, Xbox360

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

There's probably some cracked solder joints in the unit, they would need to be reflowed. Check if any other cartridge game can play in it, if not your system needs to be repaired.

Your problem sounds similar to what happened to my console, the screen went blank and the sound just stopped(not counting buzzing). I sold off my collection and I later heard the system was fixed by a TV repair store, it was full of bad solder joints.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tested it with two cartridges and I had the problem with both of them.
    I'll contact a TV repair store, thank you for your help.

If anyone else has an advice, feel free to tell me.
    My consoles
    Atari2600, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Vectrex, Xbox, Xbox360

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In addition to solder joints, I would also check IC202 and IC203. They are used to sense when a cartridge is inserted.

If you take it to a shop, the schematcs are in the service manual, which is available online. The section detailing the relationship between the cartridge, CPU, and built-in ROM is fairly simple and should be easy for any competant shop to troubleshoot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you, I'll print the service manual out and tell the shop about the ICs.
    I'm pretty busy at work right now but I'm sure I'll visit a TV repair store next week.

Update (Edit): A friend of mine said that he could also do the repair, so I gave him the service manual and the datasheets for IC202 and IC203. He'll get new ICs to exchange them with the other ones in my Vectrex next week.
    I'll post again when he has done the job for the result.
    Last edited by Infinite; 02-09-2011 at 12:50 AM.
    My consoles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have exchanged IC202 and it is working now, thank you very much!
    My consoles