Thread: Famicom Disk System error 27

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Famicom Disk System error 27

Hi all, I've Googled and Googled this and can't seem to find any consistent answers. I just bought an FDS off ebay and it works for the most part. However, I have a few games for which it gives error 27, and one gives error 23. I've read about adjusting the motor, the drive head, etc. etc. and really am quite confused by the deluge of information. Is it more likely a problem with the discs themselves, or should I really adjust something, and if so, what exactly do I adjust?

By the way, the games that give the error messages appear to be official, Nintendo-licensed discs. I've also cleaned the metal reader head with rubbing alcohol, though it wasn't very dirty.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a complete listing of what all the error codes mean http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tec...rror-messages/. The two codes you're getting basically mean the disks are bad - Error 23 = Disk card header block #$02 unrecognized, Error 27 = Block end mark seen but ends prematurely.
    Last edited by todesengel; 02-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It occurs to me now that I should have posted this in the "Technical and Restoration" forum. Oops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Sounds like a bad disk. If the data is corrupted they can give all kinds of weird errors even if the drive is in working condition.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an FDS that works fine somedays, and spews out all of those error codes on other days, I assume due to fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Same game, different results from day to day. Proper tuning seems to be critical for proper operation.

It's not for the faint of heart, but there is a guide available here:

http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tut...nt-adjustment/

I have no personal experience aligning FDS drives (yet), but this guide seems to be very comprehensive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I have an FDS that works fine somedays, and spews out all of those error codes on other days, I assume due to fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Same game, different results from day to day. Proper tuning seems to be critical for proper operation.

It's not for the faint of heart, but there is a guide available here:

http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tut...nt-adjustment/

I have no personal experience aligning FDS drives (yet), but this guide seems to be very comprehensive.
    Thanks for the link! The pictures look very helpful.

The weird part is, I took the system partially apart to clean the inside because it seemed pretty dusty, and when I put it back together, one of the games that gave me error 27 before magically worked (Doki Doki Panic). But, the others still don't. Really I don't care about the nonworking ones too much except for Zelda 1... I really want to play it

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every disk system behaves differently. That's one of the most annoying things I've learned about them as I own three of them. A game that works flawlessly in one may spew an error out in another and so on. I got to the point where I just cut out the middleman and set up a FDSLoadr system to run FDS games. I still buy FDS games but its purely from a collection standpoint now more than anything else.

Here's a video I made last year showcasing my FDSLoadr setup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMbb...eature=related

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

FDS Maintenance is a chore, but a must if you don't have any means of using FDSLoader.

The site mentioned above is very new, but very comprehensive. A fair amount of the info on the site I gave the author or wrote it (the vast majority by far is his). He did an absolutely excellent job on the site and I'm still perplexed why no one had done it before him. I wanted to for years, but didn't have the time or ability.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice to see that someone found the FDS repair page on my site. I hope it helps you out and you find the info useful.

Rob helped out with a lot of great stuff for the site while I was building it. There's tons more to be added, so keep checking it out.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you have anything you'd like to add to the site.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    FDS Maintenance is a chore, but a must if you don't have any means of using FDSLoader.

The site mentioned above is very new, but very comprehensive. A fair amount of the info on the site I gave the author or wrote it (the vast majority by far is his). He did an absolutely excellent job on the site and I'm still perplexed why no one had done it before him. I wanted to for years, but didn't have the time or ability.

-Rob
    I have the old guide form JFGoods.net on my HDD (sent it to countless DP members on request including the OP of this thread) and it's served me well, but this guide seems to be on par with that if not ever so slightly clearer.

Nice job!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good to hear, Frankie! I was afraid that only a maximum of three to eleventeen people had ever seen it. Good to know it got passed around. Glad it served you well, seriously!

And keep an eye on EricJ's site. He was able to make the site I always wanted to but never had the nerve to. He did it way better than I would have anyway, and it's really great to finally see someone compile all this info in a place where the FDS aficionado can get a hold of it, rather than being stuck on several different folks' hard drives, never to be seen. I really am happy to see it.

-Rob
    Last edited by rbudrick; 02-26-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Good to hear, Frankie! I was afraid that only a maximum of three to eleventeen people had ever seen it. Good to know it got passed around. Glad it served you well, seriously!

And keep an eye on EricJ's site. He was able to make the site I always wanted to but never had the nerve to. He did it way better than I would have anyway, and it's really great to finally see someone compile all this info in a place where the FDS aficionado can get a hold of it, rather than being stuck on several different folks' hard drives, never to be seen. I really am happy to see it.

-Rob
    You wrote that guide? Nice.

It helped me a bunch, and more often than not was enough to get any FDS I worked on running.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually, come to think of it, I must confess, I didn't write the JFGoods article. The one Iwas thinking of was a Japanese article I translated on how to make FDS dubbing cables and how to hack the FDS for write ability. Or maybe I was thinking of a FDS head-tuning doc I wrote (a far better and well-edited version now on EricJ's site). Either way, I initially thought Frankie was referring to one of these docs, which were both posted on another site almost no one saw, but NOT JFGoods. I must have had a brain fart, as rereading this thread shows I took credit where I shouldn't have, but not on purpose. Sorry folks! A bit embarrassing. D'oh!

I do have the JFGoods guide, and it was quite good in that it covered great repair elements I did not cover in my writing.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Actually, come to think of it, I must confess, I didn't write the JFGoods article. The one Iwas thinking of was a Japanese article I translated on how to make FDS dubbing cables and how to hack the FDS for write ability. Or maybe I was thinking of a FDS head-tuning doc I wrote (a far better and well-edited version now on EricJ's site). Either way, I initially thought Frankie was referring to one of these docs, which were both posted on another site almost no one saw, but NOT JFGoods. I must have had a brain fart, as rereading this thread shows I took credit where I shouldn't have, but not on purpose. Sorry folks! A bit embarrassing. D'oh!

I do have the JFGoods guide, and it was quite good in that it covered great repair elements I did not cover in my writing.

-Rob
    Karma will indeed reward you for this public display of honesty.

And the Video Game Gods will reward us all for repairing so many FDS systems.