Thread: GeneratioN NEX questions, mod questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default GeneratioN NEX questions, mod questions

hey guys, I just picked up a Generation Nex Famicoone off racketboy for fairly cheap. Given that its five years old now I guess its not too much thats left a mystery about it, so hopefully you guys can address some questions.

Is there an official incompatibility list that's survived Messiah's demise? I know NOACs being what they are that MMC5 games won't work but I'm wondering about other games that won't either Famicom or NES. I've noticed that my color dreams games don't seem to want to work, nor does Rush 'n Attack.

I recall reading here a long time ago that the NEX cartridge ports are miswired and some traces are grounded when they shouldn't be. Has anyone gone to the trouble to correct the design mistakes of the NEX?

Does anyone know how to disassemble the stock wired controller? I'd like to take a look at the controller PCB but I don't see any visible screws anywhere on the controller!

Does anyone know where I might be able to find one of the wireless NES Advantage knock offs they made? I've been asking around in forums trying to get someone to sell me one but no luck so far.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Google and Archive.Org are your friends:check out the list

And for the arcade stick check out the Goat Store

I loved the arcade stick but hated the console. Colors and sound were off and mine had bad capacitors so it smelled like it was burning.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I recall reading here a long time ago that the NEX cartridge ports are miswired and some traces are grounded when they shouldn't be. Has anyone gone to the trouble to correct the design mistakes of the NEX?
    It may not help much but Messiah did have at least two different packaging designs. The differences were very slight, mostly in packaging color and the location of the text on the box.

I know this because the two stores in my area who were carrying it had one design on their first batch and a couple months later new NEX systems started trickling in with that different packaging.

Doesn't mean they redesigned the console at all, but at some point it would appear they did a "second run."

Personally you ought to PM or find DreamTR around here. He was working for those people at one point in some capacity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Google and Archive.Org are your friends:check out the list

And for the arcade stick check out the Goat Store

I loved the arcade stick but hated the console. Colors and sound were off and mine had bad capacitors so it smelled like it was burning.
    Thank you for your help. I recall that there were also NEX wireless receiver dongles which would plug into the 7pin controller ports enabling the real hardware to use the wireless controllers. Did Messiah ever sell these sepertely or what? I suppose I could remove the wireless transmitter from the NEX and put it in my NES, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

About the arcade stick. How well does it work in comparison to the wireless MAX clones? I've only had it for a few days and can already conclude I like them more than the MAX, but it seems like sometimes controller inputs occur on their own with the controllers. Is this the case with the Advantage clone?

Having never used one, it seems to me like the stick uses off the shelf Happ parts. Is that the case?

Since I really like everything about the NEX except for its NOAC design, I'm thinking of undertaking a big mod project of totally replacing the NEX motherboard with one from a real Famicom.

Looking at the side of the motherboards, I should be able to exchange them. However, the project is a little daunting considering all that would need to be done.

From the outset I would need to:

1. Remove the Famicom motherboard from its case, desolder its video amplifier/power daughterboard and then desolder the 60 pin cartridge connector. If I plan to reuse the DB-15 port, I would also need to desolder that.

2. Resolder the 60 pin connector in position where it rests on the NEX. This would require cutting, tinning and soldering 60 wires. Ugh.

3. I'm not 100% sure I could even do this, but in theory I should be able to also solder another 60 wires leading to the 72 pin NES cartridge port, leaving the additional 12 pins used for the unused expansion port floating.

4. rewiring the controller connections to the NEX daughterboard as it governs the NEX controllers, wireless reciver, and also receives unamplified video and audio.

5. Build a new video amplifier so I can use the NEX composite jacks. Optionally put in a pot to create pseudo stereo.

6. Drill a hole for the DB-15 port and reconnect it. I'm sure I'll also have to send signal traces to the second controller pins as well so they share the same connection and both work with lightguns.

7. Figure out someway to mount the Famicom board so it won't move. This is easier said than done. I'm not sure how I'll accomplish this yet.

8. Hope like hell everything will fit inside the NEX case and make sure to never plug in both an NES and Famicom game at once with power!

I'm probably skipping something or overlooking something else, but that's basically my plan. What do you guys think?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Aesthetically the NEX is so damned awesome looking, and the built in wireless for the branded controllers is a treat.

If only the wireless pads had the D-pad instead of the strange disc-pad, which isn't totally awful, but is an extrememly odd design choice.

It has all the standard flaws of a NOAC, but with its Famicom top port it does run well with a Famicom Disk System.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Messiah sold the wireless dongles in a lunchbox with two wireless controllers or else just the wireless controllers in a cardboard and plastic box. I remember seeing the wireless controllers several times at Gamecrazy stores and Hastings stores. I actually picked up a second set of wireless controllers at my local Gamecrazy that was going out of business last year for about $6. The NEX was very slick in concept and I liked that it had "dual mono" jacks for sound It also had a very neat instruction manual in the shape of an NES cart that fit in the black game pack sleeve. Two games I have trouble with on it are Super Mario Bros 3 (weird colors and freezes near the end of world 1) and Battletoads (freezes up early in the game, can't remember, maybe level 3?). I think your project would be very cool since the NOAC compatibility sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

About the arcade stick. How well does it work in comparison to the wireless MAX clones? I've only had it for a few days and can already conclude I like them more than the MAX, but it seems like sometimes controller inputs occur on their own with the controllers. Is this the case with the Advantage clone?
    If I'm understanding you right, no, the Advantage clone did not mysteriously make phantom button presses or stick moves. It was a very solid stick and I like it better than the original Advantage. I couldn't tell you what brand the parts were but dang they felt good.

Rest of your questions, well, I never tried other sticks to be honest. Was always a control pad man myself.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up one of those arcade sticks and wireless controllers from a gamecrazy that was closing in my area. I've kept them both sealed, since I didn't have a nex console and have yet to find one of those receivers. Are those receivers pretty much impossible to find now?
    Last edited by erehwon; 02-11-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yeah. would you consider selling me yours?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. would you consider selling me yours?
    Maybe, would you want the wireless controllers as well? I don't really have a use for those, without the receivers. Also, does it cost a lot to ship to Canada?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I have the wireless controllers., but I'd buy the standard wired controller too if you are willing. Shipping will probably be more than to the states but I'm willing to cover the costs.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of work. Personally, I'd rather just outright buy an AV Fami and use a converter. Although, putting fully functional guts in place of the Nex's botched insides, would be sorta neat. Akumajou Densetsu running flawlessly on a Nex with full sound and correct color would be a sight worth the undertaking, but just barely.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone have experience with modding the wireless from the NEX console? I'd like to mod it to a normal NES. These receivers are so hard to find!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will second the impossibility of finding the wireless receivers. I've been looking for a set for the lst several years and most places I ask look at me and talk to me like I've completely made them up. I love my SNES set, and would love to use the NES set on a real system, instead of the Nex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    I will second the impossibility of finding the wireless receivers. I've been looking for a set for the lst several years and most places I ask look at me and talk to me like I've completely made them up. I love my SNES set, and would love to use the NES set on a real system, instead of the Nex.
    I have a set, came in the bottom of the lunchbox wireless controllers.

A reason why people may not know about their existence is the way that Messiah packaged them in the lunchbox.

If you didn't know that they were there you might never find them! You literally had to lift up/physically remove the black plastic packing tray/cradle that the controllers were in from the lunch box to find another tray/cradle beneath it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I have a set, came in the bottom of the lunchbox wireless controllers.

A reason why people may not know about their existence is the way that Messiah packaged them in the lunchbox.

If you didn't know that they were there you might never find them! You literally had to lift up/physically remove the black plastic packing tray/cradle that the controllers were in from the lunch box to find another tray/cradle beneath it.
    The SNES controllers were packaged in exactly the same way. Unfortunately, I bought the NES pads after the limited edition run, when they no longer came with receivers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Man, I've just got to say, again, that I LOVE the hard-wired version of the Nex control pad. Such a nice variation on the Dog-Bone controller, I WISH that the wireless version had that D-Pad instead of that weird free-floating pseudo analog circle thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the possibility of finding some extra NES receivers for the wireless pads could be increased if we found a way to contact Brad Strahle. He was the president of Messiah, and a bit of googling led me to believe he previously worked at Pelican and now works at PDP. If anyone knows the fate of the remaining receivers(if there are any), it's him. I tried emailing the hotmail address which was listed as his msn username on his "playmessiah" account here, but I'm not too optimistic about getting a response. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just found one of these at a thrift shop last night. Missing the messiah controllers though. I know this is an ancient topic but is it worthy of modding this thing to get decent sound? I love the form factor and the picture it outputs is more than decent

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

whats up with the sound?