Thread: Rocksteady confirms Batman: Arkham City will be 'single-player only' [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Rocksteady confirms Batman: Arkham City will be 'single-player only' [Joystiq]

Though rumors (and some slick yet ultimately fake video evidence) to the opposite effect has been circling 'round the internet for some time now, Rocksteady game director Sefton Hill confirms in a recent IGN interview that Batman: Arkham City will be "a 'single-player only' experience." According to Hill, the developer didn't want to lose resources that could have been spent on perfecting the solo campaign. "With the game now coming to the final stages, I can honestly say it would not have been possible to deliver Arkham City the way we wanted to if we'd have added multiplayer."

Well, shoot. We were really holding out hope for a Batman and Robin co-operative mode, in which one player does all the crimefighting while the other comments on things that are holy -- until being bound and captured by lower-echelon thugs. Oh, well!

For more info on things that are actually in the game (including classic supervillain Hugo Strange), check out Rocksteady's discussion with IGN.
    Rocksteady confirms Batman: Arkham City will be 'single-player only' originally appeared on Joystiq on Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Mmm ... while I'd love an online multiplayer mode, I have no complaints if the sequel builds on the amazing single player experience of the 1st game.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

They could have said they dropped the pack-in add-on that prints money in favor of the development of singleplayer and I wouldn't be disappointed. First game is so goddamn good, it'd be worth it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

And if anyone wants the PC version of part one, it's $7.50 on Steam for today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PC version of Arkham Asylum is terrific with modern budget video cards. Even in Direct X 9c it looked better than the console versions, but in Windows 7 and DX 11 I am just really happy with the overall improvements.

That is not a knock against the console versions by any means, I played through it on 360. I was genuinely glad to see not one but two games that year have better than average close combat engines and be well received.

I do hope that Arkham City has more combat and detective work, and less emphasis on trinket finding. I know it's essentially Metroid-man, but still.

I really just don't see Batman giving a crap about how many trophies the Riddler left in man sized air vents. Oh, and that's another thing, there must be better ways to infiltrate a building than A/C systems big enough for a dude in a SUIT OF ARMOR to crawl through.

-edit-

Also, there is just no way a multiplayer game would ever work with this type of engine. The counter system completely favors Batman, and if the other players got to play the armed thugs he really would not stand a chance in any of Arkham Asylum's scenarios.
    Last edited by sheath; 02-14-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This news is fine by me. Although co-op would be fun, I'm always craving a solid single player game.
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread reminds me I need to play the first one still. Which console version is the one to get? I'm assuming the PS3 due to the added content?

Oh, and the sequel looks sweet. No need for multiplayer if nobody is going to play it.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Thank God for that news. Really not everything ever even needs multiplayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im happy they are dedicating there time to what made the first game so good, the single player. Assassins Creed team, please take note...
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To me, it's hilarious that shit like this is even considered news. It's like, "How dare them to not throw in a quicky-multiplayer mode!".

The online junkies need to get over it. I know of people like this. They simply won't play a game that ins't online. It's like, if they are playing an offline single player game, then they are all alone by themselves on an island. They always have to be in an online game with other people, or they feel it's a total waste of their time, and they'd rather watch TV or a Blu Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    Im happy they are dedicating there time to what made the first game so good, the single player. Assassins Creed team, please take note...
    The funny thing is, I've actually heard that the multiplayer in the new AC Brotherhood game is really good, really unique. I even heard that the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 is surprisingly decent. Thing is, 9 times out of ten, it's the other way around when multiplayer is added to a game known for it's single player campaign.
    Last edited by WCP; 02-15-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not a fan of the AC multiplayer, it is unique and well done, the point I was making is that the multiplayer came at the expense of a rushed single player experience that while good, could of used some more time and care on some big bugs.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Really not everything ever even needs multiplayer.
    Agreed. Theres still room left for great single player games that don't need to tact on multiplayer for one more added bullet point.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.