Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Default Explanation of Portal

As i played the game the second time around
    it got me thinking about what the story is about like past what we experience in the game

Like why are we where we are
    why are we doing what we are doing
    and does this tie in with Half Life's own story in some form or fashion?

i am just wondering

i've only played through Half Life 2 and Episode one besides portal so maybe theres something Episode 2 that could explain this

is aperture a competing company to black mesa or is it like a sister company?

it kinda made me wonder since i love how the game takes from the scenario of doing puzzles and then shoots you into the back drop where you find out theres something more sinister behind this place then you once saw

What i did find out though is

That your charecters name is Chell whos a female thats been outfitted with specially designed heel springs to help her survive long falls in which normal human bodies can not survive from
    You wake up in a bed room style chamber with no knowledge on how or why you came to be in this place. and why your doing these tasks that the computer Glados tells you to do

You find out later that these tests have been numerous times and that you aren't the only one to do them.
    You also find out later that glados was using you and tries to kill you.
    You find out that aperture science is tied with black mesa
    you also find out that glados has killed everyone at aperture via deadly neural toxins that she released into the facility and that she now controls it

I found a website about one explaination that someone made saying that your character might be one of a series of Clones (resident evil movie style) and that glados uses these clones as kinda like source of companionship.

I might be thinking about this way too hard but ya know its had me thinking what exactly is going on here

btw i can not wait for Portal 2 to see if they some how explain this more
    and if it takes place after half life 2's story into a future possibly where humans no longer in habit earth and moved on or what.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

At the end of Portal DOG comes and rescues you. So is Portal intertwined in the Half-Life universe?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Half-Life 2 Episode 2 adds a plot line concerning Aperture Science. I'm sure this will come into play whenever Episode 3 gets released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Half-Life 2 Episode 2 adds a plot line concerning Aperture Science. I'm sure this will come into play if ever Episode 3 gets released.
    Fixed.
    zomg I have a sig

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    At the end of Portal DOG comes and rescues you. So is Portal intertwined in the Half-Life universe?
    ... It's not DOG. It's an Aperture Science robot.

While it's been said that both games play out in the same universe, there is no real connection between both other than Aperture Science itself. There's no explanation of when Portal 1 happens in relation to Half-Life 1 or 2 either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    Fixed.
    Haha true, who knows when Valve will ever get around to actually making Episode 3.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... It's not DOG. It's an Aperture Science robot.

While it's been said that both games play out in the same universe, there is no real connection between both other than Aperture Science itself. There's no explanation of when Portal 1 happens in relation to Half-Life 1 or 2 either.
    That's interesting because when I played through it again. I noticed some features I didn't notice the last time around. For example as you walk around the halls of the dead office spaces you'll see on two occassions a projection room
    where the projectors run on a loop on how the facility is competing with black Mesa by pointing out how much more cost effective it claims to be and that black Mesa is a pointless facility.
    So with that being said. I suspect they tie in some what close to each other and with slideshow it leaves me to believe that glados killed everyone before the incident at black Mesa that resulted to the half life story. Now where does the story takes place in relations to half life I guess is anyones guess. But it's something to think about.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 02-15-2011 at 03:30 AM.