Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What was wrong with the Gamecube?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

What's wrong with consoles with handles? I used to love my PC-Engine....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post

And who really cares about the color? I'm pretty sure black was available from the launch of the system.
    Yeah it was, my launch system I bought was black.

But, oh well, it's not worth mentioning if the faults of the Gamecube include "purple color" and "handle"
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Their just pissed it didn't come in colors like fuchsia, mauve or puce. Making purple the flagship color was bold, given all the black we usually get. Gamecube was anything but neutral. It was a safety play though, and that's were it got it's ass tore up.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I never had a problem with the GC controller. The d-pad is crap, but I have a Hori digital controller for 2D games. The B button really should've been shaped like the X and Y buttons, but it's not too horrible. Otherwise it's pretty comfortable, and I liked the triggers.

And who really cares about the color? I'm pretty sure black was available from the launch of the system.
    Well, I just mentioned it because it seemed an important detail for me, but I am an Industrial Designer and tend to be a bitch with those details :P

And you are right, Jet Black was available since launch, but the campaign used the purple color

But even if some people don't care; it is a very important factor, but if you read my post, i gave more comments about its negative details.
    Last edited by eskobar; 02-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamecube was a good system, it was just overlooked because of the PS2 and XBOX. Also cause of the library, but as a Nintendo fan there were tons of good games lol...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the console so nice Nintendo released it twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ouick note on the Xbox's short market time- the 360 was rushed and the Xbox was discontinued because Nvidia stopped producing the GPU used in the Xbox in mid-2005, which meant no more units could be made beyond the remaining stock of GPUs. As for the Wii, the way Nintendo managed to upgrade the Gamecube in multiple ways really shows how versatile the GC's hardware is, especially considering that the technology is at least a decade old now. The controller was well designed, offering a comfortable grip without either slightly strenuous stick reaches like I've found the PS2 controller to have. Still, I believe Xbox may have been the best out of the group- powerful, online friendly, and even pushed things the others didn't such as 1080i video and true 5.1 channel audio. The PS2 just feels aging in comparison. That, and both GC and Xbox are practically built like tanks (I've seen broken PS2s, but I've never seen an Xbox or GC break down easily.)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I've always been impressed with what the Gamecube could do, even though it was designed from the onset to be a low cost machine. Not having a DVD player was one way to reduce costs and Nintendo's miniDVD format was a clever way to reduce piracy - something I fully support and always respected about Nintendo. I don't care about Nintendo's profitability per say, but I do care about working people getting paid for their work. But I must admit that I purchased a PS2 just to have a DVD player. Today I would never put the unnecessary wear and tear on the machine to just watch movies, but my daughter is still using her PS2 almost exclusively to watch movies with. She's not much of a gamer I guess.

I bought my first Gamecube after Nintendo removed the component out capability to further reduce costs on a Black Friday sale for $99. It came with Mario Kart and I could also choose any other Nintendo game of my choice for free. I took Zelda Four Swords and thought I'd gotten a great deal. I then asked to buy a used Gamecube because I wanted to buy an older version with the component out. Mind you, I live in a very rural area with a small population of people and I was simply STUNNED when they took me into the back of the store to pick out a used Gamecube. There was an entire wall filled with traded in Gamecubes stacked from floor to ceiling. I've often thought of all those people who were obviously disappointed with their Gamecubes. Some probably wanted to play Grand Theft Auto like their friends were, maybe some wanted to play Halo, and maybe some just grew tired of waiting for Twilight Princess.

I thought the Gamcube provided the most entertainment of any console of that era. I mean, only a company like Nintendo could show up at E3 and announce that what people really wanted to play was Pac-Man! Whoo Hoo!

Then we had Shigeru Miyamoto claim that he could have made Halo - if he had wanted to. So I suppose he could also claim that he could have been the first man to walk on the moon - if he had wanted to, using nothing more than his own flatulence as rocket fuel. Possible, possible, as the man is definitely full of something!

This nonsense could only be matched by Shinji Mikami's tantrum that Resident Evil 4 would ONLY be a Gamecube exclusive and never appear on Sony's PS2, a company he purposefully smeared as intentionally making console's that were easy to break. A comment seized upon and parroted ad nauseum by Nintendo's loyal fan base. The investor's - the people who actually paid for the development of Resident Evil 4 - ignored Mikami's rants, but I must say the game does look better on the Cube.

My Gamecube has been a reliable machine. I don't play it nearly as often as my Xbox or PS2, but it's never given me a single issue loading or reading disc's. I do respect Nintendo for making well-built hardware. The controller was never a problem for me. It's only slightly odd, but a huge improvement from N64's tri-winged discombobulation. It must have come as a shock for those who defend the N64 controller's as being "just fine" to see the Gamecube controller become two legged and slightly more like the Dual Shock design.

For most, the main purpose of having a Cube was to play Nintendo's first party software and those were undeniably the best sellers on the console. But I was never really big on Nintendo's classic cast of characters. But I was interested in the some of the oddball stuff the Gamecube offered like Cubivore, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Odama. Plus I liked some of the stuff I was seeing coming from Nintendo of America's developers like Giest and Eternal Darkness. To top it off, the Gamecube had a nicely done updated version of Metal Gear Solid and an almost definitive collection of the Zelda and Resident Evil games. There were Metroid and Rogue Squadron games, Hell, the Gamecubes library was nothing you could turn your back on.

Another thing I liked about the Gamecube, and I don't know if this was just a mistake on Nintendo's part or what, but you could play imports using a simple boot disc, making it by far and away the easiest of the three to play Japanese exclusives. So I gladly picked up Kururin Squash, Mr. Driller Drill Land, Charinko Hero and a few others.

I know the Gamecube received a slew of badly ported games, but there were a few that benefited from the extra time the developer's had to make some improvements, such as...

4x4 EVO 2 received 5 extra trucks & 4 extra tracks

Conflict Desert Storm had changes made from player feedback that altered the gun-sight, improved enemy AI, revamped the inventory system, and added a Restart Level option

Dark Summit didn't have quite as much slowdown as the other versions

Midway Arcade Treasures 3 didn't have game save corruption problems as the others did

Prince Persia Warior Within had less framerate & sound issues than other versions

Star Wars Bounty Hunter had better framerate, less loading times and improved graphics

I don't think the Gamecube had any real problem other than Nintendo itself, which march's to the tune of a different drummer. Good for them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest reasons why the Gamecube failed was because of its lack of quality games. Aside from the first party Nintendo titles, it had virtually nothing from 3rd party studios that could compete with what the PS2, and to a lesser extent what the Xbox had to offer. The Cube was coming off the heels of the N64, which had very little to offer other than kid's games, and the Cube did nothing to fix that. The fact that it looked like a Fisher Price lunch box didn't help either. It just had the same batch of games as the N64, shit loads of game for kids, and very little for more mature audiences.

The PS2 and the PS1 had AAA games that appealed to everyone by the boat load. I also think Nintendo's decision to stay with cartridges with the N64 while everyone else was moving to CD's at the time, hurt them with the Cube as well. Even though the Cube was a disc based console, Nintendo lost a lot of 3rd party with the N64, and they never really gained it back with the Cube. Although I guess they've regained some 3rd party support with the Wii, but those games are still shitty for the most part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I personally love the Gamecube. I bought it on relsease day, with a copy of Rogue Leader. I can think of about 25-40 Top quality games that make the Gamecube an excellent and inexpensive system to collect for. The Gamecube is a wonderful system that struggled I think to showcase what Nintendo is usually good at....innovation. The Gamecube to me is when Nintendo tried to follow trends instead of making them. The controller is probably what really got people frustrated with...even though it really is a pretty good controller. The disc size that Nintendo went with shot themselves in the foot to several third parties that wanted to make games for the system. In the end I consider the Gamecube as the system that I play occasionally for the A+ quality games that were exclusive to the system. I still play Rougue Leader Co-op with a friend on Rebel Strike on an occasional basis.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamecube didn't 'fail' by any definition of the word. It's a reliable piece of hardware that had only a few minor hardware revisions over the years, and made more money for Nintendo than XBOX did for MS, and almost as much as the PS2 made for Sony during the years that the GC was actively supported.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing people fail to mention is the N64. Much like Sega (but to a far lesser extent) the previous generation impacted the next gen. The N64 was popular, but not as popular as the SNES. Not as much 3rd party support, wonky controller and expensive games. So the Cube was already in a hole out of the gate, a lot of people that had an N64, didn't get a cube.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I loved GameCube. I'd probably rank it about the same as SNES in terms of Nintendo consoles.

I loved the controller, once I got used to the diamond-like button configuration. The analog stick placement is perfect, and it conforms to your hand better than any controller ever made. The only issue was the ridiculously tiny dpad and awkward Z button. It was amazing for 3D adventures, which were the system's strongest suit.

The system itself looks like a Saturn or Dreamcast. Well, taller and with a handle. But look at the button placement and controller ports of the Dreamcast console and tell me it isn't really similar to the GameCube. The GameCube's handle must really stand out, because people remember Dreamcast as one of the best systems ever. People do conveniently forget that Gamecube came in more colors than purple.

It still had great games like Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2, and Tales of Symphonia. It sure lacked in quantity, but made up for in quality.

Just my two cents though. By the way, check this out if you think purple is bad. That is an official color.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have almost all my consoles sitting on a shelf ATM, and you want to know something? It's a giant neutral mass of black, gray and beige. Except the Gamecube, which looks like a Zoot Suit playboy among a bunch of squares.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Just my two cents though. By the way, check this out if you think purple is bad. That is an official color.
    Guys, you are easily offended; almost every one said I was stupid for stating that the color was a bad choice , I like the cube, it was only a detail I thought was important.

Purple is not referred as "bad", every color has a symbolism and a psychology in it.

Kids react much more to the purple than adults. The cube was a great console but when they marketed the purple as the "official" color, it gave a clear message to consumers.

And Nintendo just learned from this error and used White for the Wii ... and Black later. Every console has alternate colors and is great; there are many creative freedom on special editions or limited productions of different colors.

Do you remember the original iMac ?, color was a huge part of its success because it was marketed to a very specific consumer, consoles ARE NOT, they are marketed to a wide range of consumers.

I am a HUGE fan of the N64 and LOVED every alternate color that Nintendo released as limited edition, the Gold and Jungle among my favorites.

The 3rd party sales suffered from poor sales because many casual/average gamers adopted the PS2 and Xbox, the cube was bought by kids and the millions of adult Nintendo fans ... and the fans of very specific franchises like RESIDENT EVIL.

Nintendo could have marketed a "boring" white/light gray cube and had better presence of casual gamers and just release 5, 10 or 20 colors as alternate editions like most consoles.

As someone said, the cube was anything but neutral .... and the purple pretty much gave that message, you loved it, I liked it .... but not everyone else in the planet.

In the end I like the SILVER and LIGHT EMERALD cubes .... the second was a limited edition cube of Tales of Symphonia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you think the purple buttons and ugly toyish design hurt the SNES as well? It certainly looked stupid next to the Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Do you remember the original iMac ?, color was a huge part of its success because it was marketed to a very specific consumer, consoles ARE NOT, they are marketed to a wide range of consumers.
    I'm pretty sure personal computers are marketed to a wider range of consumers than game consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Do you think the purple buttons and ugly toyish design hurt the SNES as well? It certainly looked stupid next to the Genesis.

I'm pretty sure personal computers are marketed to a wider range of consumers than game consoles.

The SNES is ugly compared to the Super Famicom, for example. But when the SNES came out I had 12 years .... and I remember quite well that many Genesis owners were older and picking on any SNES owner. But the SNES had MUCH STRONGER games than any other system arround in the US

The example with the iMac was very simple, the colors reached a segment of the market that usually didn't care about computers or at least had a hard time picking one for home.

It wasn't a direct comparison with the cube, I was talking about colors, not sales of iMacs.

The Strawberry, Tangerine, Grape, Lime iMac wasn't marketed for professionals and obviously not for hardcore gamers and it hardly competed with a Business Desktop Dell .... it was purchased by people who wanted to browse the internet and do basic work because the machines didn't have power for more.

The color matters, ladies and gentlemen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I have almost all my consoles sitting on a shelf ATM, and you want to know something? It's a giant neutral mass of black, gray and beige. Except the Gamecube, which looks like a Zoot Suit playboy among a bunch of squares.
    The reverse happens for portables- bright-toned, multicolor Game Boys and DSes all over, and then there's a Game Gear and white PSP refusing to leave the far left corner.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    My biggest problem was with the controller. It was just clumsy and clumsily laid out. Seriously, C-Stick? Would another full analog stick there have been -that- much trouble? It cripples the system in terms of FPS.
    The controller, no online multiplayer, and no dvd playback were the big 3 that doomed the cube. Seriously what were they thinking with that controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by trench-a-licious View Post
    The controller, no online multiplayer, and no dvd playback were the big 3 that doomed the cube. Seriously what were they thinking with that controller.
    I find the controller thing hilarious- the triggers are nicer to press down on than the springy ones on an Xbox controller and much better than the mush-ish buttons a PS2 controller uses, the C stick is just an analog stick with a different name and altered shape (just stick a pad on top and look, it's an analog stick), and I can agree that the d-pad is awkward to use. While online mode may have been lacking, not all people who had Xboxes had online either. And for DVD playback, I'd rather play games on my game system, not have another multimedia center I don't need.