Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was wrong with the Gamecube?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Power-wise, I thought any difference between Gamecube and the other two consoles was negligible. There's no reason to turn away from the Gamecube by saying it had inferior graphics to the PS2 or anything like that.

Just to boil down what others have same, it's the 3rd party support and the lack of a DVD player.

Now, Gamecube did have some great games. Smash Bros Melee, Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine (imo), and a few others. It just didn't have AS MANY great games as the PS2, which churned out hits like a mofo.

I mean, PS2 was like... a golden machine. One of the greatest libraries of all time. But I have a lot of respect for the Gamecube. It was a better console for that generation than the Wii is for this generation.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Power-wise, I thought any difference between Gamecube and the other two consoles was negligible. There's no reason to turn away from the Gamecube by saying it had inferior graphics to the PS2 or anything like that.
    Wasn't the Gamecube more powerful than the PS2?

Anyways. kedawa said it best. The only thing wrong with the Gamecube is that it wasn't the PS2. The PSX was the best 32/64 bit system and then the PS2 came out almost a year before the Gamecube.

The PS2 had a great launch list. I'm a fan of From Software but only picked up Armored Core 2 at launch, along with Dead or Alive 2 as I've played it on my friends Dreamcast previously. Dynasty Warriors 2, the first Musou title, was actually a really fun game back then, and if Koei hadn't milked the series all to hell, I'm sure everyone would still think it's a great game. It wasn't too much longer before a ton of great games started pouring in.

While I won't make a long list of games, Final Fantasy 10 was released right after the Gamecube. The thing is is that you saw advertisements everywhere. At the time I was still a wrestling fan and you'd see it advertised atleast two or three times during WWF. It wasn't the best of the FF games, but this is before Final Fantasy went down hill. What are you going to do. Get a PS2 for Final Fantasy or get a Gamecube for whatever it's offering?

Most people I know had a PS2 even if they had a Gamecube, mainly because it could read DVDs. I didn't purchase a Gamecube until I got it bundled with the Gameboy Player and a Nintendo game of choice(I chose Wave Race.) Nintendo kind of screwed themselves when trying to save money(and reduce piracy) with the smaller discs because they pushed away the non gamers that may have wanted a DVD player as well as something to play games here and there. The Dentist go to actually uses a fat PS2 for a DVD player in the lobby.

Almost all the third party software went to Sony unless it was multiconsole. Because of that, Nintendo didn't have too many good exclusives that didn't already come out on other systems. While Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 4 were released on the Gamecube, they were later released on the PS2. Other than Tales of Symphonia and a Gundam game(import,) I own first party Nintendo games, Resident Evil games, and a few Sega games that were ports/sequels of Dreamcast games. I would own more first party Nintendo games than I do right now, but with Nintendo never dropping prices on Gamecube games, I never put the money down on them and was never interested in looking them up after Nintendo abandoned the console. I like the console, but unfortunately the support just wasn't there.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-16-2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the Gamecube's problem was that Nintendo tried too hard to appease the "cool mature hardcore" demographic that b!tchsl@pped the hell out of them for a generation despite the fruit they bear: Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil Zero, 4, and 1 Remake, Twin Snakes, etc.

Only when the big N began broadening outside the "hardcore" bubble with the Wii (i.e. kids, mom, dad, grandpa, grandma etc.), did they regain first place. Surprising how they were so successful despite the "Revolution" still had the same "faults" as the GC:
    -No DVD player
    -"Different" control scheme.
    -Similar level of third party goodness.
    -"Not-so-friendly" multiplayer setup a la friend code.

...that's my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It wasn't the best of the FF games, but this is before Final Fantasy went down hill.
    *cough*FinalFantasy8*cough*

What are you going to do. Get a PS2 for King's Field or get a Gamecube for whatever it's offering?
    Fixed!

Personally, to me the Cube was "the Smash Bros console." That was practically the only thing I ever played on it. And it gets boring after awhile.

I just never saw anything compelling about the Cube. Its main strengths were Nintendo's own franchises, but--and I know I'm in the minority here--Mario and [/i]Zelda[/i] jumped the shark on the N64, and Metroid Prime became that franchises JTS point. The supposedly good third-party games, like Eternal Darkness... just weren't that special. With crown jewels like that, its no wonder that the Cube trailed behind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GC was brilliant, but the third party support outside of Capcom & Sega simply wasn't there. Also there's little point owning one if you're not a fan of Nintendo's games.

Interestingly I've read that multiple games that are multi-platform games perform noticeably better on the GameCube, especially when compared to the PS2.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It didn't help them much that they had superior ports when the comp had lessor ports plus games the GC didn't have. As a system, I preferred Cube over PS2 and Xbox. Games is where they took a beating though. You got a PS2 for the game library and your second system was an Xbox if you played online, or a Gamecube if you didn't care for that. Not too many people fall into the latter, and fewer still had all three. The software libraries all around was very me-too and same-ish, too much so to warrant that.

There wasn't anything particularly flawed with it. It was just the weakest shower in that environment. It had more potential than the rest, but actualized the least. It could be considered the Dreamcast's second-cousin, almost.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-16-2011 at 08:09 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Game cubes issue was it tried to create a arcade experience at home with games like
    American 18 Wheeler Pro
    Godzilla Destroys All Monsters Melee
    ect ect ect
    Wait... what?

?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

For me at least, the Gamecube was the second or third system that generation. PS2 was king, so any title that was available on GC and PS2 I'd go for the PS2 version. So the only games left were exclusives, which often times was a first party title.

GC was to me, wholesome. Looking at the games I own for it, most of them are bright, colorful, happy. But last generation the games that were big were gritty, violent, fps and sandbox type games. Which is what most people flocked to.

I like what I own for the GC, and the controller wasn't too bad for me. As long as it wasn't like the N64 controller <_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    ... and a system that was harder to develop for than the PS2 or Xbox did it in.

Now, now... the GC has its problems but it is widely viewed as very easy to program, especially when compared to the PS2.

A sample...

"Developers’ reactions to GameCube development kits thus far have been overwhelmingly positive. As promised by Nintendo, the system is very, very easy to develop for (much easier, reportedly than Sony’s PS2)."

"With the exception of some extraneous sound applications, the GameCube's streamlined architecture is designed to perform all operations in hardware. In comparison, many of the onboard features of the GameCube hardware must be performed in software on the PlayStation 2, taking valuable processing power away from the CPU and GPU."

"The GameCube hardware has been a dream to develop for. Although some may argue that in architectural terms, GameCube isn't quite as powerful as PS2, GameCube is just so simple to get the power out of. Because of this, GameCube graphical quality at this moment is where the PS2 will probably be in 2 years time due to the massive learning curve involved in PS2 development. Some of our programmers have been developing PS2 games for over three years, and they are still a long way from the top of the learning curve of what it's good at, and what it's not. GameCube, on the other hand, is a case of what-you-see-is-what-you-get; it's great at some things, and less good at others, and it's as simple as that!"

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interv...conference.htm

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...o-distraction/

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS2 may have a slight edge in sheer power, but Gamecube more than makes up for it with much superior texturing.

I liked Gamecube a lot more than N64. For a while, it was my favorite of the three then-current consoles. But it really took a nosedive late in its lifespan. It pissed me off when they canceled Unity and Kirby.

Gamecube didn't do as well because it lacked the heavy-hitters with mass-market appeal that the other two had, like GTA and etc. For me personally, it had just as many lesser-known games that were just as compelling. I would much rather play Beach Spikers than DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball or Outlaw Volleyball (probably because I care more about actual gameplay than bouncing CGI breasts and stupid gimmicks).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could anything stand against the might of the PS2? Nope.

Also did anyone notice that the Xbox had the shortest lifespan or what? Just saying. First in, first out with the 360 coming on.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    -"Different" control scheme.
    The only reason the Wii sold well to the non gaming market. Microsoft's Kinect is selling more XBOX consoles for the same reason. It's a gimmick that people are curious about.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

The controller for the GC wasn't the best. It had an akward layout. Both the N64 and GC didn't have great controllers.

The game library wasn't fantastic; it had its treasures, but it had the same problem that the N64 had. You just forget about it and move on to the other systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People hate the handle? wtf
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess handles on consoles are a love/hate issue. I thought it was pretty cool being able to tote a GC around like a coffee mug dangling from your pinky finger.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What was wrong with the Gamecube?

I love the Gamecube. Had no problem with the controller. As far as third party support, the budget for developing just one game for one game was crazy. Not to mention "exclusive titles" for certain machines. And I don't lknow about anyone else but to me it doesn't make sense to use a game console to play DVD's. All it does is wear out the machine faster, plus when dvd players could be had for around $50 or so. I used to work in the a/v repair business years ago when laserdisc were big. And it was always the same story when someone would bring in a machine with a worn out laser. We would ask them "what do you play most on it?" The reply was always the same, "cd's" Just didn't make sense to play cd's on a machine that was at least $1000 and up, and with a repair bill for between $200 and $300. We'd tell them to just buy a cheapo cd player and just play laserdiscs on their machine. It's cheaper in the long run. to each their own I guess. Plus I love the gameboy player. Just my 2 cents.And I think part was the game makers still had a grudge for the N64,PSX, and other disc based systems, with Nintendo sticking with carts instead of lasers which eventually die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

As I see it, the first problem with the GameCube was its original color ....

The machine already looked like a kid's toy and the purple color just made it more apparent. It was very hard to market something like that to another consumers, because PS2 had a very avant-garde desing and the Xbox .... well, it just looked good for people who liked microsoft and tech specs.

PS2 was marketed for anyone, from parents that want to have fun with games/dvd's and still be able to get games for their kids.

Xbox was marketed for anyone that liked good graphics and wanted online gaming, pretty much a slimmed down but useful "PC".

And the Cube was marketed for kids .... and it delivered a great experience for them and obviously teenagers and adults wanted the console because many of them had grown with the NES or SNES.

The color problem was issued immediately and the "kid" image too, but it was just a bit too late. I liked the Cube, it had many great games but i just didn't love it like past consoles.

It was a powerful console and was easier to develop compared with the Ps2 ...

The controller felt good but multiplatform titles suffered with the button layout ...

The media was much better than N64 with 1.5Gb on the MiniDVD but still less than the 4.5 Gb of a DVD ...

3rd party support was limited ...

I just remember the cube for Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil Zero, The Legend of Zelda games, Metroid Prime, Rogue Squadron II, Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My biggest Gripe: The controller.
    It looks like a robot threw up on a boomerang.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Gamecube had decent third party support, it got many of the games that the other systems did, most all the EA stuff. Graphics were definitely better than PS2, but not XBox.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never had a problem with the GC controller. The d-pad is crap, but I have a Hori digital controller for 2D games. The B button really should've been shaped like the X and Y buttons, but it's not too horrible. Otherwise it's pretty comfortable, and I liked the triggers.

And who really cares about the color? I'm pretty sure black was available from the launch of the system.