Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: What was wrong with the Gamecube?

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't know how many people bought Gamecubes for RE4, but I bought mine for REmake.

Not that I wouldn't have eventually had to buy one anyway for Zelda, but at the time it was REmake I was most wanting.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What was wrong with the Gamecube?

Where I'm at, everyone wanted the PS2 because it played DVD's. But the people that bought Gamecubes still love them to this day, including me.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    In late 2002, Radio Shack had progressive-scan DVD players stacked up in the middle of the store for $35 each. I bought one to use in the bedroom. I also bought a Polaroid DVD player around the same time for $50.

Two years prior in December 2000, I bought my JVC DVD player *on sale* for $200 (originally $300). So yeah, the price of DVD players fell dramatically during those 24 months.
    Just post a scan of your receipt and we'll believe you. I can't imagine it would have been any good quality at that price.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked the GameCube - it was a great console with tons of awesome games. I especially like the controllers, which are among the most comfortable ever. 3rd party support was actually pretty good - there were good versions of many big franchises. Lots of quirky and cool exclusives, though I think Nintendo's game quality started to decline a bit.

Two dings:
    1) The first set of memory cards were really small - you didn't have enough space on a card to save a Madden franchise, for example, until larger cards came out later.
    2) The smaller capacity discs meant games often had to cut corners (compress audio, etc).

Overall, though, I really liked the console.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I kind of regret not owning one back in the day. I almost bought one after pllaying Godzilla DAMM on my brother's. But then I found out the game was also on the Xbox with additional monsters and that along with the fact the Xbox had several other games I was really interested in really swung me over to Xbox land.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has the second strongest lineup for a Nintendo console/handheld behind the GBA as far as my tastes go. There was nothing wrong with Gamecube, and it went on to receive much more success when it was re-branded as "Wii."
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my GCN, almost as much as the N64.

It was honestly a better console than the N64 was, with a considerably better library, but the N64 IMO had SM64 and OoT and so I have an emotional attachment.

The GCN was similar to the N64 in that it was really designed around Miyamoto's games with everything else as an afterthought (see: Controller). I like this, people who want to play tons of 3rd party stuff can buy a PS2 or an Xbox (I bought both). I feel like this makes the 1st party stuff better, as there's less compromise. When you play Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker, you can tell that the controller was *designed* for those titles, they weren't adapted to it.

It DID have decent 3rd party support but that is admittedly not why I bought one, and I've still yet to play RE4. I liked Viewtiful Joe and Eternal Darkness. I never played Tales of Symphonia, FF:CC, or Beyond Good and Evil (unfortunately, in all cases).

Pikmin was birthed on the GCN and, to date, has sort of died there (barring the Wii Compilation). This is a shame, being IMO the most underutilized Nintendo franchise and potentially it's most brilliant. There's huge potential with the concept and they've just sat on it. A big reason I bought a Wii was to play future Pikmin games, and they never materialized.

I'm also a huge sucker for Luigi's Mansion, having been wowed by the footage back before the console was released.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that from a hardware standpoint, the sheer geek factor on the GCN is enormous. The PS2/Xbox were big black boxes with generic black controllers. The GCN was DIFFERENT, i.e. the following:

- It comes in f**king ORANGE. Orange. Awesome. And it wasn't even called orange, it was called "Spice"! My console had a stripper name. I'm about that.

- There's a huge stretched keyboard controller (PSO). It looks absurd and so I love it. I also love the JogCon, so I'm just partial to bizarre shit.

- The Game Boy Player was a neato peripheral. As a kid of the 90's and the Genesis era, I'm a sucker for anything that combines with anything. It's like console Voltron.

- Tiny little discs. Little, Silver, Different. Like Nuprin only playable. The JPN game packaging was rad looking, so small with the cool cardboard sleeves.

- Panasonic Q. I never got around to buying one but how cool was it? Colder than a polar bear's toenails.

- GBA connection, i.e. Four Swords. Any excuse to buy more shit and connect it all together, right? I felt like Serial Experiments Lain with my GCN and four GBA's attached to it, wires everywhere.

- Wavebird. First it was called "Wavebird", I mean wtf right? Second, I had fun going across the street from my house and being able to control the game, with a friend on walkie talkie telling me when it finally stopped working as I walked farther.

- The dev gear looked cool. I geeked the first time I saw an NPDP. Not *quite* as monolithic and "2001 obelisk-like" as the PSTOOL, but still pretty sick.
    Last edited by WanganRunner; 09-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    1) The first set of memory cards were really small - you didn't have enough space on a card to save a Madden franchise, for example, until larger cards came out later.
    Was there a delay between the release of the system and the black memory card? I remember my fiance and I got our GameCube within a few months of launch, and we decided to skip straight to the larger capacity card. If there was a delay, it must've been pretty short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the game cube was kick ass. That said, I only played it for a few months. A few days after launch, I went into Kmart and the video game guy tried to talk me into buying a GC. I declined. I figured if they were trying to push them a few days after launch, the console must not be all that, plus I had bought a PS2 at launch. Needless to say, my first Gamecube was a used one purchased off eBay with like 24 games, for $250. (Yep it was well past it's prime) I had a lot of fun with it for months, but once the 360 launched, dropped it like a hot potato. Looking back, I never did play RE4, also, the controller didn't age well. (Not unlike the N64)