Thread: Retron 3 overheat?

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Retron 3 overheat?

Does the retron 3 tend to overheat? I have had mine for a few weeks now and I notice that you get that hot plastic smell after playing it for a while. I noticed that the air vent for it is at the bottom and I had it sitting on a fluffy kind of carpet so i propped it up to allow for more air flow, it helped but it still gets that smell after a 1/2 hour or so.

Has anyone else noticed this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Is your RetroN3 a 1.0? Basically will it play Castlevania 3 or other MMCM5 NES games?

I haven't noticed heat issues with mine, but it is possible. My theory is that it's because the RetroN3 probably has a super tiny heatsink, if it has one at all. Its 7805 voltage regulator likely isn't attached to a big enough heatsink that can handle long play sessions, so the heat travels to the bare plastic shell and then you notice a smell.

I'll take a close look at my RetorN3 later and post some pics. To remedy you could try adding a bigger heatsink assuming the design allows room for one.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That smell may just be related to the grade of plastic used on the casing reacting to the minimal heat generated.

Or there may be some adhesive epoxy/glue used to bond parts of the motherboard to the case. I haven't opened my Retron, but I've seen clones that have that, when that heats up it may soften and produce an odor.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

just opened my RetorN3 and confirmed what I suspected. There's a small strip of metal acting as the heatsink inbetween the NES and Genesis cartridge connector. Is that where the smell is coming from? If not then you might have a board problem specific to your machine.

My ReotrN is a 1.0 and the NES daughterboard is dated 2009-11-14, but the Genesis/SNES side is dated 2009-9-25.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Can't really tell where exactly the smell is coming from but when I left it on the carpet with the vent blocked I felt the pin connectors and they were pretty warm.

Think I have the updated model, just bought it new a week or two ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The best way to tell is by looking at the box it came in. Did the box have a handle? was the writing white or blue? If no handle and blue Retorn title and it says Tri system rather than 3-in-1, it's a newer one.

General rule of thumb: never put ANY console other than perhaps a original 2600 heavy sixer on carpet. Doing it with offical consoles is bad enough,clones it's even worse. All that keeps heat in check on the Retron is a thin stip of metal that can only handle so much. Directly below it is a ribbon cable that connects all vital outputs from the NES daughterboard to the mainboard, so yeah......don't put the retorn on carpet ever again.