Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite old school generation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Favorite old school generation?

Instead of a "favorite system" thread (and why of course), it'd be impossible to figure out which one would be top dog in a poll of sorts so im going by generation, which is up to PSX Saturn and N64
    It doesnt have to be just mainstream systems, it could be game.com (i dunno why anyone would though). you dont have to like all systems, just any number of them.

Mines PSX, Saturn, N64 (fifth)
    I enjoyed tons of N64 games, it was my first 32 (nevermind i have my reasons) bit experience. It was always great to see quality coming those first few years.
    Psx-Every experience id ever want in a system in 3d-even 2d! It has everything. I loved the dual shock and the games were so much more fun and different than what i was playing earlier-more mature games (Metal Gear Solid and FFVII) with deeper than last generations combined. I dunno specifically why, i just loved the variety-always a game id want to pop in and try.

Saturn-im more intrigued by its history and specs-2 processors, cartridge slot for later ram, the graphics (a bit primitive due to its old ass chips and overall 3rd place performance tier)-i love the look, it may be blocky (say house of the dead) but its got such a nostalgia appeal even though people AT THE TIME were saying they looked dated. But yeah, it has Nights, Burning Rangers, Guardian Heroes, HOTD and Virtua Fighter 2.
    Last edited by rkotm; 02-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the previous generation, so that'd be, ah, TG16, Genesis, Turbo CD, NEO GEO, SNES, Sega CD, 3DO, Jaguar, and 32X. I suppose CD-I ought to be in there too, but I only played it in kiosks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say the 16-bit era systems were my favourite in retrospect, especially if you count the arcade games and computers at that time. Most of my fondest gaming memories are from SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo, System-16, CPS1/2 and Amiga. I think the games on those platforms hold up far better than most of the PSX era games.
    I'm also a huge fan of the Dreamcast, but I'm conflicted about which 'generation' it belongs to.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I too would have to say 16-Bit. For me that was when the magic of gaming really took off.

I mean, the NES had some wonderful titles. But the Genesis was when you heard the Green Hill Zone theme for the first time and the SNES was when Kefka destroyed the world (and then God rebuilt it by possessing stone statues and kicking demon ass before directing his followers Sim City-style).

I also have a soft spot for PC gaming at around this time, but to a much lesser extent.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think for the most part this question is kinda the same as asking how old you are and what era of your life has the fondest memories, at least as far as gaming is concerned.

The NES heyday was when I really bonded with video gaming, through the NES and in the arcade. I also loved the 16 bit era when my teenage nerd senses were bombarded with awesome Japanese stuff I'd see in the game magazines, awesome arcade games and experiencing the increased power of the new consoles compared to the 8 bit stuff I'd grown up with was fun. I still remember marveling at how unbelievably good the graphics were on games like Gradius III and Castlevania IV.

There's also something to be said about being a kid with no money, which made new video games few and far between so you got to spend more quality time with them.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

My childhood was mostly in the early 90s, so I'm torn between 3rd generation (NES) and 4th generation (SNES) NES with fun games, SNES as the next generation 16-bit system. I think the 3rd generation has my fondest memories, so I choose that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I too would have to say 16-Bit. For me that was when the magic of gaming really took off.

^ THIS. I think the best time to be born was early-mid 80s. You grew up on NES, and then when 16-bits really kicked off in 1992, you were then old enough to truly appreciate it, but still young enough to be completely in awe as only a 9, 10 year old kid can be.

16-bit era FTW

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Mine is the 32/64bit gen(fifth.) Mainly PSX and N64.

While platformers are my second favorite genre, RPGs are my favorite and the Playstation is the system to have owned and still is if you want the very best RPG titles that have come out. Unfortunately, good platformers were rare compared to all prior generations.

Arc the Lad 2, Brigandine, Xenogears, Tales of Eternia, Wild ARMs, Breath of Fire 3, etc. When it comes to RPGs, the PSX has the best of the best. While not as many, the Saturn also had a lot of good RPGs like Shining Force 3 and Dragon Force, as well as a lot of PSX/Saturn multiconsole titles like Tactics Ogre, Grandia, Suikoden, etc, which unfortunately for US Saturn owners these were exclusive to Japan. N64 adds to the group with Ogre Battle 64.

Other very good games this gen were Armored Core, King's Field, Nightmare Creatures, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Blood Omen, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 6, Mega Man X4, Mega Man Legends, Castlevania Chronicles, Castlevania SotN, Rayman, Castlevania 64, WWF No Mercy, F Zero X, Virtua Fighter 2, etc.

You have a much larger variety of games and types of games that's not possible on the earlier consoles, but you also have the same types of games as well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

when youre born in the late 80s, you'll truely in touch with the late 16 bit era (before your 9th or 10th birthday) and early 32/64 bit era (in early pubes), last(128 bit) gen (late pubes/early adult years) and current gen (since 2005).
    i really love the 16 bit era cause it was the last gen that had orginal midi music in the games before real music and liscenced soundtracks came into the games in the 32 bit era. i love the real music in the games in the later generations but long as its fresh and pour your heart out for it.
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Man, I have a tough time picking between the 8-bit and 16-bit era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The heyday of spending hours playing games was the 8bit NES/SMS era for me... but I'd say the pinnacle of gaming in my eyes was the 16bit era (Megadrive/SFC/PC-Engine). Though I didn't game as much then, I was in awe of the stuff I did play or see. After that, it was generations of disappointment/lack of interest, sprinkled with moments of pleasant surprises.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES just blew me away when I was a kid. Still my favorite system of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

the *REAL* gaming generation (8bit/16bit): VCS, Apple ][, A8, Colecovision, Intellivision, C64, MSX etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    the *REAL* gaming generation (8bit/16bit): VCS, Apple ][, A8, Colecovision, Intellivision, C64, MSX etc

You know...for me...your right.

I had very fond memories of that era. Though I admit I was a tad late on it (mid/late 80s), I still have the best memories playing VCS/2600, and to a later extent the SMS/NES and the like. However, the transition the 16bit era is included as well, with awesome memories playing the Sega Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, etc.

From then on, it just wasn't the same. Great games, I admit, but nothing like the experiences from years past.

In my opinion, this generation is actually the worst. Perhaps it has to do with age...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The present generation is the first time I have ever been so board with new releases that I have to look hard to find one or two games to play in a year. Last year was the worst yet, I spent the entire year playing games I bought in previous years over again. I blame Sony, EA, Activision, and Microsoft for this development in that order.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easily the "16-bit" gen. TG16, Genesis, Neo Geo, SNES... Simply no contest. Can you think of another time when there were that many concurrently running systems and none of them blew it major in some regard? Every system had it's own unique flavor, and every system had heavy merit. No matter what happens with my involvement in this hobby, these systems are forever keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I think for the most part this question is kinda the same as asking how old you are and what era of your life has the fondest memories, at least as far as gaming is concerned.
    I'd have to agree with this, at least a little.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The NES heyday was when I really bonded with video gaming, through the NES and in the arcade. I also loved the 16 bit era when my teenage nerd senses were bombarded with awesome Japanese stuff I'd see in the game magazines, awesome arcade games and experiencing the increased power of the new consoles compared to the 8 bit stuff I'd grown up with was fun. I still remember marveling at how unbelievably good the graphics were on games like Gradius III and Castlevania IV.

There's also something to be said about being a kid with no money, which made new video games few and far between so you got to spend more quality time with them.
    Could not have said it better myself.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That's true for the most part as you'll have to spend a lot of time playing through the games to really have memories of them, but it also depends on your favorite genre. If your favorite genre was platformers you wouldn't say the 32/64 bit genre because there are hardly any, same with RPGs being your favorite genre and then listing pre 8bit consoles, where an entirely mixed bag not favoring a specific genre is going to be either an 8bit or 16bit generation, whichever you've grown up with and possibly your opinion on best games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Hmm, I think it's a toss-up for me between the 16-bit Generation and 32-bit. Love the Genesis and SNES, but I also love the Saturn and the N64. Very tough choice indeed.

If I had to rank systems:

1. Saturn
    2. Genesis
    3. N64
    4. SNES

I grew up playing the Genesis and NES, then the N64 (Got the Saturn and SNES years later) so when it comes to memories, 16-bit wins out for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I miss the days when I could bring home a new game, stick it in the machine, turn it on, press start twice and then have fun for hours on end.
    Modern games seem to waste more of my time with cutscenes, menus, and loading than they do with actual gameplay.