Thread: Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard - Halp!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Ontario, Canada - You know, that country outside America ;)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Uhuine I think :S

Default Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard - Halp!

I hate posting my first post, I always feel like I should include a "Hi this is me" song and dance with it, but read my bio if you want that :P Okay, so like my title suggests, I'm looking for information on Hexx: Heresy Of The Wizard. Namely, I'm looking for help in making this game W O R K! Here's my issue(s): (Sorry it got so long)

Please note, I own a legitimate copy of this game, however the disk is damaged (Cigarette Smoke, Dust and moisture damage) and is beyond use and repair.

The year was 1995 - or so - and I ended up shelving this game, having never finished it, with the intentions of doing so "One day". Exactly why I don't know, however, over the course of the 16 next years I NEVER got around to it, and in fact the game was stored, poorly, and essentially left to rot, which it basically did... Fast Forward to last week, I see something that sparks my memory about the game, and instantly have that mind-sundering NEED to play and finally beat Hexx.

Now, even if you ignore the fact that my original disk was toast, being a 16 year old game I can't just pop it into my 2 month old computer running 7 and expect it to work in any way shape or form. So obviously I had to go find a copy of the game online, and something to make it run, and my search didn't take long. I found DOSBox, and from what I've heard it's pretty ok, and I found two copies of Hexx, I installed DOSBox, extracted the files and ran Hexx, and everything worked BEAUTIFULLY!

Fast Forward about 7 hours, I pluck a gem from a wall that initiates a cut-scene and DOSBox crashes outright. The music hangs up on a single midi "note" and the screen simply goes black. I tried with both copies of the game, and they both work, and they both crash at the same time, and in fact both have the same minor bug. So I'm not confident it's just DOSBox giving me a hard time. My question is, are any of you here willing to finish my damned novel here and lend me a hand in fixing this stupid problem??? In summary, do you think this is DOSBox screwing up, or do I have a corrupted version of the game? And if it is DOXBox, what, if any, are the possible solutions or alternatives?

Thanks for your help

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.abandonia.com/en

The comments on Abandonia suggest that the game cannot be completed under DosBox. Sounds to me like DosBox does not emulate the video renderer correctly.

Also suggested is that you need to complete the game in Windows 98, or under authenticate DOS.

You may need to try Virtual Box; or depending on the video memory requirements, another virtualization program.

Never heard of this game before. Looks like a cool classic RPG. Thanks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE

I'll try that! I really hope this works, the story is kind've cookie-cutter, but hey the game is awesome! And it is quite good, if you should ever get the chance to give it a whirl, doo eeeeet! Some of the Characters have extremely memorable names

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE

*sigh* After tons of messing around we got it (Virtual Box and DOS) to install, boot, enabled expanded memory, launched hexx... And it freaking locks up right there. Not even a title screen, just hangs on a black screen... Any more suggestions, or maybe someone can point me towards an actual old x86 system? lol Thanks again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Perhaps Bochs? Bochs is as low-level as it gets. Unfortunately it is even less friendly than VirtualBox.

I might suggest the DOSBox forums, but they're rather insistent on people only using original copies of games.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... Have you tried other unofficial DOSBox builds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... Have you tried other unofficial DOSBox builds?
    The compatibilty list lists version .58 as supposrting it. That may not be tested to the crash point though.

Have you tried configuring a different sound card or no music in the Hexx setup? It might get you past the sticking point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It also occurs to me that if all else fails, you could try booting up into DOS from a USB flash drive or some such, and running the game from there - but if it really does come down to a "video renderer" problem as Mr. Trebuken suggests, then genuine, modern hardware might only make the problem worse.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)