Thread: The Twisted Metal series & T. Metal remake

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Twisted Metal series & T. Metal remake

Hi guys. I have been out of the playstation circle for a good for or five years. I recently bought a new ps 2 to get back to some of the games i missed playing. The first thing that came to mind was the twisted metal series. When the ps one was out twisted metal 2 was the game i played more than any other. I have great memories of zooming around the different arenas, blowing stuff up and killing everyone in sight. The really cool thing about these games for me was that they were really fast paced and strategic at the same time.

I always used to wait until my health was low then hide on upper areas such as rooftops or bridges and take out opponent's one hit at a time, then peel out when they started shooting back. The characters and there storys were always fun to watch to . I also picked up twisted metal head on (extra twisted edition) for my new ps2 and im having a great time with it. It feels like its closer to tm 2 than parts 3 and 4 were. I love that they included what was completed of Twisted Metal: Lost aka T.M. harbor city. There are only four levels but there alot of fun and its interesting to see what the game would have been if it had been completed.

What do you guys think about the twisted metal series? To me parts 1,2 black and head-on are incredibly fun and i would say the series as a whole is severely underrated.
    P.s. Have you guys seen the trailer for the new twisted metal? Looks like ill have to get a ps3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ije8tRJwJeg
    Last edited by rlemmon; 02-24-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Great series. I liked Twisted Metal 1, 2, what I've played of Black, and Rogue Trip was pretty awesome.

Anyways, here.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...=twisted+metal
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love the Twisted Metal series. Definately better to play two player but is fun against the computer. I remember playing Twisted Metal Black and watching the Ferris Wheel come rolling over the hill. Twisted Metal 2 is definately my favorite of the series though. Kupomogli is right about Rogue Trip, find it on PS1 and play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also my favorite series by far on Playstation 1, and remember countless nights staying up until 5 or 6 AM playing either co-op or vs. mode with friends.

Mr. Grimm and Thumper FTW.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Twisted Metal 2 and Black are great, but where car combat games of the Twisted Metal style are concerned I VASTLY prefer the Vigilante 8 series.

As much as I enjoyed the XBL version, I wish that somebody would do a legitimate current gen version.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I liked Twisted Metal Black and a couple of older games, but they didn't really keep me playing. Roadkill for the PS2/Xbox/GameCube was the better vehicular combat game, in my opinion. It's mission-based, and has a good storyline, along with a lot of unlockables.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Twisted Metal 2 constantly when it was new...Awesome game. I like TW: Black to, but not as much as the second game. It just seemed sort of "off" compared to the first two. From what I remember the series took a nosedive afer Take 2 got a hold of it, which is why TM: 3 and 4 were atrocious.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DisastrophE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I actually enjoyed Twisted Metal 3 and 4. I don't think they were atrocious. They weren't fantastic by any means but they were playable. In fact I actually enjoyed 3 and 4 more than the first one, with 2 being my favorite. I also enjoyed Twisted Metal Black but I found it kinda difficult. Also, ditto on Vigilante 8. That is a great game. Is 2nd Offense any good? I have never played that one.
    [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/DisastrophE88]
    [img]http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/blueice/DisastrophE88.jpg[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.lusogamer.com/gamercards/psn][img]http://www.lusogamer.com/playstation-network/killzone_3_2/gamercard_default/DisastrophE88.png[/img][/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DisastrophE View Post
    Also, ditto on Vigilante 8. That is a great game. Is 2nd Offense any good? I have never played that one.
    I have the Dreamcast version of 2nd Offense, and it has problems. Control issues are the biggie, with the hoverjets the cars are pretty much careening through the air with very little control. And more than once I've fallen through the polygons of the ground or road surface. Star Wars: Demolition uses the same engine, but with those problems fixed. And it also has tweaks to the gameplay and weapons use. Too bad the vehicles are sort of lame. Really, someone would pilot a podracer into battle? Isn't that guy guaranteed to lose?
    Last edited by Steve W; 02-26-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The "Twisted Metal" style games always appealed to me. I enjoyed many of them because they were fun to play in small doses. I will have to track down Roadkill and add it to the select few games I am wanting for the Gamecube.

For the Twisted Metal Series, I enjoyed the crap out of Twisted Metal 2. Hands down one of my most played PS1 games. Twisted metal black was great, as well as Twisted Metal Head On Extra Twisted Edition that was a wonderful budget release. Great Fan service.

The vigilante series was cool, but I did not like it as much. It was fun to play and still enjoyed it enought to buy both V8 and V8 2nd offense.

Rogue Trip was great, I bought that one and throughly loved it.

Another overlooked one is Critical Depth. Underwater Twisted Metal. Not as good, but a nice obscure one for PS1 collectors.

Huge Star Wars Fan, but hated Star Wars Demolition. It was just too silly for me to really get into.

This is a type of game that really just went to the wayside. I really hope the new TM does not suck. I actually would just want a remake of TM2 and I would perfectly be fine with that.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished palying through T.m. head on for the 4th time. Lots of fun. I hope the ps3 one is as good as #2. I def need to try rogue trip. I always heard good things about it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DisastrophE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I have the Dreamcast version of 2nd Offense, and it has problems. Control issues are the biggie, with the hoverjets the cars are pretty much careening through the air with very little control. And more than once I've fallen through the polygons of the ground or road surface.
    Well that's a bummer. I'll probably pick it up anyway just to give it a shot since I love the first one so much. Do you know if those problems are just on the Dreamcast version? Or do the PS1 and N64 ports suck too?
    [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/DisastrophE88]
    [img]http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/blueice/DisastrophE88.jpg[/img]
    [/url]

[url=http://www.lusogamer.com/gamercards/psn][img]http://www.lusogamer.com/playstation-network/killzone_3_2/gamercard_default/DisastrophE88.png[/img][/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spectre in TW1 would look almost just like the cars parked on the road in one of the city levels. I loved using the tactic of parking next to a car and fooling a person into not knowing which car I was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's a bummer. I'll probably pick it up anyway just to give it a shot since I love the first one so much. Do you know if those problems are just on the Dreamcast version? Or do the PS1 and N64 ports suck too?
    2nd Offense is just weak compared to the original. I was disappointed with the DC and PS1 versions equally. The DC version is like a lot of PS1-to-DC ports... clean and hi-res but not much else.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

You know, I actually enjoyed Twisted Metal 3 and 4. I don't think they were atrocious. They weren't fantastic by any means but they were playable. In fact I actually enjoyed 3 and 4 more than the first one.
    Agreed though I'd say that of all of them 4 is definitely my least favorite followed closely by 1. Its not that theres anything terribly wrong with 4 I just hate the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Twisted Metal Head On port for PS2 was very good..Check it out