Thread: Xbox 360 - Two Light RROD

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360 - Two Light RROD

I just took the console apart and cleaned it out to fix the open tray error. Now it shows 2 red lights RROD for overheating. It still runs, but I dont want to keep running it for fear of losing it. Is it worth it to open it back up and put some thermal paste on the CPU/GPU or is it already a lost cause once the lights start showing up?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're out of warranty and you haven't already done so, it would probably be worth just doing the entire x-clamp replacement fix. Adding more thermal paste wouldn't be as effective.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

first make sure the fans on the 360 are spinning properly. if they are gummed up, vacuum them up. if they still dont spin smoothly, replace them. this could be an easy fix. Also check out the heat sinks since you have the unit open if they have dust and dander on them, vacuum it up. replace the fan shroud and fans and put the unit back together to test it out.

the more complicated way ive done is the xclamp mod for my 360. i used this one

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair...-clamp_fix.htm

DO NOT try to overheat the unit like they mention further down the page. your Ball grid array is most likely fine.

now also use the "fan shroud mod"

found on this site here about halfway down.

http://www.jamerican.net/?cat=14

the fan shroud mod keeps the air flowing over more of the heatsink area at better flow rates. it also helps keep the heat off your dvd drive prolonging the life of the lubricant that is on the spindle, not to mention the elctronics on it.

these mods made my 360 run so quietly you can barely hear that its on.

and by the way NEVER operate the 360 without the fan shroud and fans on as it will quickly overheat the unit and that is not good.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Open tray error fix

These are the steps that work best for me:

1. Is it with one disc in particular or all of your games? If it is only one game try cleaning the disc with a disc cleaning solution or glass cleaner (If already done this then you can skip this step).
    2. If it happens with all of your discs, try starting the Xbox without the hard drive attached. Sometimes this fixes the problem, but usually not. Once that fails reattach the hard drive and clear the system cache.

3. Check to see if your Xbox is under warranty… If it is covered send it in.
    4. If your Xbox is out of warranty the best fix is a DVD Pot Calibration. You have to disassemble your Xbox but it is worth it. Here are some tutorials for accessing your DVD drive and doing the calibration
    Final tips:
    Make sure your DVD drive is plugged back into the Xbox before starting the Xbox. Failure to do so may end up in being banned from Xbox Live.
    Clean the laser with some lens/glass cleaner and a Qtip while the DVD drive is open.
    This is the only way to DIY. It's not a terribly difficult task however but you do run a risk of damaging your box if you're not sure what you're doing.
    Another option is to take it in for repair and fork out the cash for minimal risk.
    If you decide to Do it yourself, here are some sources:
    http://www.gamingupholds.com/xbox-360-guide.aspx
    Good luck!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the open tray error that I fixed, I think the main culprit was some grit on the rails of the transport which I cleaned and now works. I used compressed air throughout the system. I'm assuming whatever thermal paste was there is probably completely decipated as the system is 2 and a half years old. I'll give you guys an update in a week or so, main plan is xclamp kit, arctic silver 5, and check to clean out the fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you are going to do the x clamp mod. then you might as well do the fan shroud mod as well. its easy enough to do and creates a better thermal profile.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    if you are going to do the x clamp mod. then you might as well do the fan shroud mod as well. its easy enough to do and creates a better thermal profile.
    Did the x-clamp mod, seems to be fine except now the dvd drive is acting up still. Sometimes it won't want to read at all, sometimes i'll have to press the open/close button a few times before it actually wants to open. Is it that difficult to replace a drive? I know it has to be "married" to the motherboard...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgriff View Post
    Did the x-clamp mod, seems to be fine except now the dvd drive is acting up still. Sometimes it won't want to read at all, sometimes i'll have to press the open/close button a few times before it actually wants to open. Is it that difficult to replace a drive? I know it has to be "married" to the motherboard...
    Yes its quite easy. You must match the brand model number and revision. Ebay sellers usually list the relevent info. When you get the new drive in. Take the drives motherboards and swap them. Your old drives motherboard should be in the new drive. Plug everything back in and it will work like new.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you shouldn't need to program flash or anything. Depending on the model you may just need some tiny torx screws to remove the motherboard from the drive. And be carefull with the ribbon cable connectors.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    Yes its quite easy. You must match the brand model number and revision. Ebay sellers usually list the relevent info. When you get the new drive in. Take the drives motherboards and swap them. Your old drives motherboard should be in the new drive. Plug everything back in and it will work like new.
    Thanks for info, hopefully the xbox will last for awhile after I do that. Is there anyway to derive the info from the outside of the box or do I need to open it again and get another look at the drive?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just need to look at the sticker on the outside of the drive. I had it with me when I was searching. To make sure I wasn't gonna mess it up. Pop her open to just check in advance what bits you may need to remove the screws.