Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BEST unknown SNES game the world needs to know about (NEW four-player thoughts on page 3)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Alrighty, who is up to making the needed changes to make this run on the powerpak. It sounds like more than a few people know how to do it. I for one, will donate $10 to the person who is able to make the changes. Anyone else?

Count me in for $10 paypal to the person who can make the necessary changes for it to work on PowerPak as well.

That's $20 so far between me and MachineGex. I'm sure others will be willing to pitch in as well.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh ho ho! If there's money on the line, then, well, wait for me!

EDIT:

http://kiddocabbusses.tryhappy.net/S...er%20hack).smc

This is the first attempt. Before I uploaded it, I ran it through BSNES; although that doesn't simulate the Powerpak's Header pickiness, I wanted to try it to make sure the game would work at all (Sometimes a Satellaview ROM requires hacks much more complex than a simple header edit). Fortunately, it seemed to run OK. Now, anyone got a Powerpak to try this on?

This would probably be easier if the Powerpak guys made a "Header Tester" app for computers tailored for use with their cart. Aw, well!
    Last edited by Kiddo; 02-28-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Oh ho ho! If there's money on the line, then, well, wait for me!

EDIT:

http://kiddocabbusses.tryhappy.net/S...er%20hack).smc

This is the first attempt. Before I uploaded it, I ran it through BSNES; although that doesn't simulate the Powerpak's Header pickiness, I wanted to try it to make sure the game would work at all (Sometimes a Satellaview ROM requires hacks much more complex than a simple header edit). Fortunately, it seemed to run OK. Now, anyone got a Powerpak to try this on?

Kiddo, you're a saint, you know that? YOU'RE A SAINT! YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED A BIT! (sorry, Cool Runnings flashback ). It worked! I was playing BS Golf on a real SNES just now... after 15+ years of waiting. You are the man.

PM me your paypal address. Well deserved.

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That is great! Kiddo, send me a PM also. I know what I am doing today....golfing!!!!

Alright Steven, what game is next? Lets keep this thread going and find the next hidden gem! I know the "Oh NO, More Zombies Ate my Negihbors" hack doesnt work too well on my powerpak. It starts up fine, but sometimes when I fire a weapon at the very beginning of the game, it crashes.

Gonna tell you again Steven, love your website. The reveiws are great and you post some great game pics.
    So....what game is next?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PMs given! Anyone else who wants to give me money, feel free to request the address as well. (Yes, I am terrible.)

As for long-forgotten games, it should be easy to spot some more if you're looking at Satellaview ROM dumps. Although, whether to classify them as "gems" would be a matter of debate.

Here's some examples of recent ROM dumps I uploaded videos of to Youtube;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnLFDm2utIM - Konae-chan no Dokidoki Pengin Kazoku, a short arcade-style romp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSDhIIV28E - "JEWEL OF LIVE", a game created in RPG Tsukuru Super Dante and then distributed via Satellaview download.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDSrXFTvXfE - "Tamori no Picross", a seemingly long line of weekly Picross puzzles for those who couldn't get enough from the other Picross games. The one ROM dump obtained is dated "6/13".

The Sega Channel would also be a good place to recall "seemingly lost" titles, although the only thing I can supply there is this video;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CNPASrpdU - Dyna Brothers 2 Special, a modified edition of the standard "Dyna Brothers 2" released for the Japanese version of the Sega Channel - and later on Wii Virtual Console, where the rip comes from.

It's possible I'll end up finding more as I dig around for Satellaview stuff. In the meantime, places like LostLevels and SNESCentral are pretty good for this kind of subject matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bounty paid! Thanks for the quick fix! Gonna have a golf night with the family.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

Wow, this thread this awesome! I'm happy for Steven and everyone else who can finally play Out of Bounds Club on a real SNES (it only took 3 days lol).

Just out of curiosity, if one wanted to make a "repro" of this game, what would be a suitable donor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Gonna tell you again Steven, love your website. The reveiws are great and you post some great game pics.
    So....what game is next?
    Appreciate the love. In terms of great games I have yet to look at, there's Umihara Kawase and Rockman and Forte. But you probably already knew about those two, since they're pretty popular among SFC circles. Less popular: Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban, a 2 player game reminiscent of Pocky & Rocky and Zen Nippon Pro Wrestling Budokan which for me is hands down the best SNES wrestling game available (I reviewed both these games not too long ago). If you love either Pocky & Rocky or wrestling at all, you'll enjoy both those games, guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJSP View Post
    Wow, this thread this awesome! I'm happy for Steven and everyone else who can finally play Out of Bounds Club on a real SNES (it only took 3 days lol).
    Haha indeed. Thanks Kiddo! You're awesome. I'm certainly thankful as I'm sure everyone else who is following this thread is as well. I've been playing OB Club on my SNES a lot since. It's been interesting adjusting playing 8 feet away from the screen as opposed to 18 inches, haha. It's much harder to line up my thumb to the screen now

Been loving it! It took me 4 tries yesterday to finally come out on top of the 4-player mode first world all 8 courses. It's pretty tough! The computer, unlike many multiplayer games, puts up one heck of a fight. And when I finally beat them all, I won only by one stroke and it came off a clutch 69 POW putt shot on the hill... if I missed that I would have tied or worse. Crazy fun OBing your opponents and nabbing the present for the random power up item! My favorite is the wind icon, which stops your rival's next shot way short. All three opponents, if you're playing the four player mode. Nice.

I also saw something last night I'd never seen before either in all my time playing OB Club since 2006. Two balls going in the cup on the same stroke. It was pretty damn cool, heh.

Great game! Can't wait to play it with my fam and friends at the next get-together. By the way, if say Super Fighter Team decides to ever release this game, I would still buy it on day one. For now, the PowerPak will do, and if it never gets released, no biggie now, all you gotta do is get a flash cart if you wanna play it on a real SNES on a real TV. I have no doubt though had it been released back in October '94, you'd be seeing it on a lot of recommendation lists today. And I have no doubt if it were released in 2012, the retro gaming community would still eat it up.

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJSP View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if one wanted to make a "repro" of this game, what would be a suitable donor?
    The rom is a fairly basic 8M/1mb game. I do not recall if it used any save ram (my header setting is set to SRAM-enabled in case it is), but it doesn't seem important to the gameplay (and thankfully, doesn't break anything if it's not working), so it'd probably be fairly safe to use a typical "Common game" cart for a repro.

Anyway, confirming that MachineGex's money is sent. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Xardion was a great unknown SNES game with lots of potential

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've just been having one problem, I sometimes can't see where the ball is going while I set up the shot, can you control the camera?

Any plans for a translation? I'd preferably only get a repro if it were in English...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I've just been having one problem, I sometimes can't see where the ball is going while I set up the shot, can you control the camera?

Any plans for a translation? I'd preferably only get a repro if it were in English...
    I think you hold in the "R" button in and then you can move the camera around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post

You hold the R or L button to move the camera anywhere you like.

An English translation would be nice too, but honestly, it's not really required as there isn't much Japanese to make out to begin with. But yes, it'd be lovely if someone translated it to English. The options you can figure out within 5 minutes so no biggie though.

Brand new URL!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zama View Post
    Xardion was a great unknown SNES game with lots of potential
    I vaguely recall from an old Nintendo Power that Asmik actually did want to expand it into a big media franchise (TV, comics, etc.).
    But I think the game ended up being their last US release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default More layers to OB Club

In playing it some more I've discovered some interesting quirks about OB Club that I didn't touch upon previously that are worth mentioning

1st yes/no = penalty. 2nd = weather. 3rd = items. Stereo/Mono. Sound Test

There are 3 game modes. First one is straight up regular golf for 1, 2, 3, or 4 players. 2nd mode is minimum of two players (maximum of four), and is based on who can score first on the least amount of strokes. Whoever does wins the round. This mode, obviously, is faster than the first mode. Finally, the last mode, like Super Bomberman 2, allows Team Play! Pretty cool stuff.

Here you see a gift. These grant you a random item. There are many, I don't know the exact number, but one of my favorites is the poison stroke. This makes all your opponents' next shot very weak. If you're playing TEAM mode, this doesn't affect your partner. Another icon, for example, magically places your opponent's ball in its previous position. The craziest powerup I'd seen though (and only once, it must be rare) is the one that randomly switches all four balls on the course... which could completely change the tide of the battle

Team play demonstration. Good amount of strategy to be found in this mode in particular

Pretty cool mode, though I prefer every man for himself. BTW, if you draw at the very end, you play SUDDEN DEATH starting back with the first course, continuing on until necessary. There MUST be a winner...

As you can see, OB Club has plenty of tricks to keep one going for a good while. I'd been having a great (and somewhat frustrating, lol, the CPU is tough!) time playing this one on a real TV. Every time I play I see something new, whether it's two balls going in the cup on the same stroke, or a crazy trick shot. I also discover that while the 12 players each have the same ability (i.e. strength), the CPU actually controls each player differently. There are less challenging CPU players, and tough(er) ones. Which means, there IS sort of a "built-in" difficulty factor. Brilliant! This game gets my utmost stamp of approval. From Battle Royal to Team Play to Match Play, 48 courses with over 200 random cup generators, one will never truly master OB Club. Talk about longevity...

Has anyone been able to consistently beat all 3 CPU opponents in the 8 course mode? I find it pretty tough. I win out maybe 25% of the time. They're quite a challenge, unlike most CPU opponents in other multi-player games. Quite vicious too. Their propensity to OB you may cause a curse word or two, heh. Still, I can't help but come back to it.

Love this game!

EDIT: Cheers SparTonberry for the translations!
    Last edited by Steven; 03-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Brand new URL!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post

Penalty, Weather changes, Items, Stereo/Mono, Sound Test

Stroke Play, Match Play, Doubles Match
    Added translations.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Confirming that Steven's sent me my payment. Thank you!

I'll be eagerly anticipating my next job-er, I mean, interesting find! :P

It's neat to have so much more info on this game, now. If I ever bothered maintaining that Satellaview Wiki I tried once, I'd probably eagerly add in all this info.

BTW, if you ever find a 8M Pack of this in a wild, I'd suggest holding on to it - ChronoMoogle had me check the ROM's boot-up value and it seems the game is one that locks after 5 plays. As this was apparently developed by Masaya, I noticed that this is a trait it has in common with "Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero", another Satellaview original they developed.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: Double post, was getting weird server errors and then it happened. Sorry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Incidently, this month's Retrogamer Magazine (issue# 87) has a two-page feature on the Satellaview.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Added translations.
    Here is what I printed out as a cheat/instruction sheet:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52282791@N03/5500664506/
    Last edited by MachineGex; 03-05-2011 at 03:44 PM.