Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BEST unknown SNES game the world needs to know about (NEW four-player thoughts on page 3)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I'd suggest holding on to it - ChronoMoogle had me check the ROM's boot-up value and it seems the game is one that locks after 5 plays.
    I don't suppose you could Game Genie around that limitation?
    (make the BS-X BIOS run the game with free play.
    Again, assuming you actually found a copy.)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't even think the Game Genie could support the BS-X cart, nevermind have a code like that. ;
    The only supposed "workarounds" are ROM Dumping (which is difficult - I only know one guy who can dump Satellaview 8M Memory Packs. :P) and obtaining an Ultra16 (ALSO difficult.) Otherwise, you risk every time you load up the game data being the last.

Incidently, this month's Retrogamer Magazine (issue# 87) has a two-page feature on the Satellaview
    Scans, please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default this game is TRULY brilliant!

Man, this past weekend I got a chance to play this against my brother. It was me vs. him vs. CPU vs. CPU. I can't tell you how much more fun it is playing this with real people. It's already a blast with 3 CPU rivals in my book, with loved ones it's that much better.

We played all 8 courses on the first 3 worlds. The 2nd world, "Books and Breakfast" one, my brother did amazingly well with all his trick shots. It was his first time playing it and he was nailing some of the craziest shots I ever seen. We both jumped outta our seats when he curved a shot that ricochet off a coffee cup and bounced into the hole. It was frigging SWEET.

We laughed as one CPU rival went "haywire" on like the 6th course. He just snapped and started playing around on the jumper, making his ball jump 6 (!) times in one stroke. With the little sound effect "boop boop boop!" It was hilarious. There was also one random bumper on this one course that deflected the CPU's shot. What great gaming design... it's so evil, heh.

See the jumper there? CPU made his ball bounce on it 6 times in 1 stroke!

I really like the basic simplicity of World 1. I like World 2 because you can really use the obstacles to your advantage, bouncing the ball off coffee cups and such. The ink spills are a bitch though. My bro and I didn't like World 3 (the ancient ruins) so much though. We found it a bit bland coming off the crazy World 2.

Next time we'll try Worlds 4-6. I can't wait for the next big family gathering, so we can max this game out in 4 human player mode. You know this game is special when your brother emails you the next day "Haha, I'm still thinking about that miniature golf game. Why didn't they release this back then? I love it."

It takes a special game for my bro to say something like that. This game simply appeals to all ages and all types of people. I know it'd be a huge hit with females too, with its silliness and cutesy characters.

Also been finding out more about the crazy items. If anyone can add to this list it'd be great:

1. Ball Switcher: This icon seems to be the hardest to get, like the lightning item in Super Mario Kart. It randomly switches all four balls. Can turn what looks like a failure round to one of sweet victory

2. Poison Stroke: Makes opponents' very next shot go very short, even on POW 100

3. Sun: Makes it sunny (meh)

4. Wind Blower One: Gust of wind sends your rivals' balls (tell me I just didn't say that) a ways away. Could potentially lead to O.B. (heh heh heh)

5. Wind Blower Two: Makes the wind MPH speed increase (meh)

6. Mole: Takes rival's next shot back to original position (ouch! love this evil powerup)

7. Fast Shot: Not confirmed, but seems to send your ball at speed of light if you hit the desired button to activate it.

8. Control Shot: Love this one! You can control the ball by working the D-Pad. Unconfirmed: you can control others' shot if they get this icon. I once was able to control CPU ball's shot when he got this icon... weird. So, user and rivals can control? Crazy...

9. Shot Stop: By pressing B, you stop your shot short at any desired time. Can be quite useful

10. Ink: Anyone know what this does? I never figured it out. I'd guess in World 2 it allows you to pass safely through the ink spills? Dunno.

11. Anvil: Anyone know this one? I haven't been able to figure out its purpose. I know it flashes for all opponents' next shot, but I haven't been able to ever employ it. Can anyone solve this mystery?

12. ? That's all the icons I can recall off the top of my head. There may be others I'm missing. Feel free to contribute to this list in any shape or form.

Also, anyone else wanna share their experiences with this game? Would love to hear it. I can never tire of playing this game or hearing others speak about it

SparTon, or anyone else, can you translate these worlds for us? Thanks
    Last edited by Steven; 03-08-2011 at 02:52 PM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How many "short-cuts" are there? I have only played a few rounds, but I found the dog house on course one/hole 2. Pretty neat. Any other holes have short-cuts?

Also, how do you use the specials? I got that remote control one and could not figure out how to start it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just would like to add that I -love- how this game is basically being dissected now.
    It's very much like what I've tried to do with getting details on various other Satellaview games - simply through getting them to work and then playing through from start to finish. Even then, I can't quite say I was able to get quite the amount of paragraphs you guys can put out. Hehe!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

World names:
    1. Nico-Nico (Smile?) Country Club
    2. Hard to tell if the first kana is mikuro (Micro) or shikuro (I don't know) World CC
    3. not sure what the little kana is, so I can't say for sure. Relic Forest CC, I'd just guess.
    4. Dreamland GC
    5. Seaside CC
    6. Future Golf Links

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    How many "short-cuts" are there? I have only played a few rounds, but I found the dog house on course one/hole 2. Pretty neat. Any other holes have short-cuts?

Also, how do you use the specials? I got that remote control one and could not figure out how to start it.

Glad you brought this up. Wow, I never knew of the doghouse! I just tried it. Cool stuff.

The only short cut I knew of previously was course one/hole 4. By the way, the remote control is activated by just moving the D-Pad in the desired direction. I'll show you a bit below. Other icons, like the Shot Stop, are activated by pressing "B"

DOGHOUSE SHORT CUT WORLD ONE/HOLE TWO (Thanks MachineGex for the heads up!)

It comes flying out! Very cool stuff

Each hole has four random cup generators. If it's the former here, don't doghouse it. If it's latter, the doghouse is a great idea. It's all about strategy and seeing where the cup is. The doghouse short cut always shoots your ball at that position... so it's not ideal for the first pic here, but the second pic where the hole lies? Perfect position for a relatively easy putt shot for the Par (neverminding my score there, lol)

HOLE IN THE GROUND WORLD ONE/HOLE FOUR SHORT CUT

Love this one! Get it in the hole and a mole takes your ball to that place 100% of the time. If you get the present on your way to the hole, the remote control icon (if it is what you get) can easily secure an EAGLE shot for you. Just use D-Pad to direct the ball. Also, there is a MOLE icon power-up, and that's where the same looking mole will pop up and take your rival's ball to its original position. One time, a CPU rival was one shot away from a Birdie, but the other CPU opponent in front of him got the MOLE icon. So the CPU rival went ALL the way back to starting position. Instead of finishing with a Birdie, he finished with a +3 and it helped me to finish in 1st place! Mole icon is perhaps the most satisfying power up available (mwahahaha)

There are probably more short cuts in world 1 and possibly other worlds as well. If anyone finds out more, please post here. What can I say, this is the game that keeps on giving. Seems I see or learn something new every time. The mark of an infinitely awesome game Man, can you imagine if this was released back in '94? Had it beeen, today you would probably see "Golf Daisuki! O.B. Club" (which is its real name BTW, not BS Out of Bounds Golf) heralded on many SNES recommendation lists. Hey, at least we have it now!
    Last edited by Steven; 03-09-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I cant wait to try it out some more this weekend. I actually have to give my son(Spencer, 7 years old) credit for the doghouse. He was watching me play the CPU and told me to shoot it in the doghouse. I did not think it would work, but I didn't want to listen to him bugging me about it, so I did it. I was shocked when the ball came screaming out the other side. I need to trust him more, he is always finding the hidden areas in games.

Steven, you got to update your review so people know the rom is now available for the powerpak! I will be playing this game more this weekend. Hopefully I(or my son) find more short-cuts.

Insert Coin (Level 0) marvelus10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of the best threads I have read in a while, its cool to see how much group effort has gone into this. Keep it up guys, thank you.

Steven have you posted the updates over at Nintendoage. Im sure a few over there would be happy to hear more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I cant wait to try it out some more this weekend. I actually have to give my son(Spencer, 7 years old) credit for the doghouse. He was watching me play the CPU and told me to shoot it in the doghouse. I did not think it would work, but I didn't want to listen to him bugging me about it, so I did it. I was shocked when the ball came screaming out the other side. I need to trust him more, he is always finding the hidden areas in games.

Steven, you got to update your review so people know the rom is now available for the powerpak! I will be playing this game more this weekend. Hopefully I(or my son) find more short-cuts.
    Your son rocks! Sometimes, kids and their imagination trump us older cats with our "intellect" haha. And yes, I'll update my review for sure on my next site update. Cool story Gex! Tell Spencer I said thanks for the cool tip It sounds like he enjoys the game. Is he a retro gamer in general? That's awesome he's not just about the 3D graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelus10 View Post
    This is one of the best threads I have read in a while, its cool to see how much group effort has gone into this. Keep it up guys, thank you.

Steven have you posted the updates over at Nintendoage. Im sure a few over there would be happy to hear more.
    Just updated at Nintendoage. I'm really thankful for everyone here, especially Kiddo who made the PowerPak conversion possible. It IS a great group effort. I swear, if anyone reading this right now doesn't own a PowerPak, or has been on the fence, this game makes purchasing a PowerPak WORTH IT, not to mention everything else that the PowerPak can do. Took my 22 year old cousin out to dinner tonight and told him about this game. Can't wait to play with him, my brother and another cousin. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but... MOVE OVER BOMBERMAN! Yeah, I said it. I went THERE Who knew 4 player miniature golf could be so fun, charming and addicting?!

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Your son rocks! Sometimes, kids and their imagination trump us older cats with our "intellect" haha. And yes, I'll update my review for sure on my next site update. Cool story Gex! Tell Spencer I said thanks for the cool tip It sounds like he enjoys the game. Is he a retro gamer in general? That's awesome he's not just about the 3D graphics.
    Spencer plays all sorts of games. Some of his favorites:
    -Sunset Riders (SNES and Genesis)
    -Battletoads, Turtles, Contra on the SNES.
    -Castle Crashers (beaten more times than I can remember)
    -Falldown, Warring Worms 2, Adventure (2600)
    -Smithereens (O2)

Oh, he is always asking to play my 48n1 arcade. We have a cocktail table in our dining room, so I guess he was born to be a gamer.

Steven, is there a way(option) to make the CPU play better? Sometimes, they do really stupid things and end up getting a +3 on and easy hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Steven, is there a way(option) to make the CPU play better? Sometimes, they do really stupid things and end up getting a +3 on and easy hole.

Yeah, from time to time the CPU opponent goes a bit "haywire" and plays really dumb. I've found certain players the computer controls really weak, while others present a tougher challenge. For example, one of the felines is really crap. The "guy" one. I played him last night and he's ideal for novice players. Some of the girls the computer controls really tough. In that regard there is sort of a built-in difficulty. But there is no difficulty option we can adjust.

You can adjust however the handicap. So if you wanna make it tougher you can give the CPU a "head start."

BTW last night discovered a new icon. It's an umbrella, which causes a storm. I think that's the last of it -- 12 icons. A nice dozen. Still haven't been able to figure out what the Anvil or Ink icon does though. Maybe the Ink protects you from O.B.ing?

And found another short cut. World one/Hole six. There's a opening in the door. It's not really necessary though, since the hole is so short.

I've been messing with World one a lot lately. To the point now where I win out 90% of the time in 4 player mode. Time to move onto World two.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just wondering if anyone has any (new) thoughts to add regarding this mini-golf title?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I've been messing with World one a lot lately. To the point now where I win out 90% of the time in 4 player mode. Time to move onto World two.

I been playing OB Club recently again, and am still enjoying it tremendously. I've become quite skilled at world 1, always able to now finish no worse than -1 playing all 8 courses.

I recently was able to beat all 3 CPU opponents in Worlds 2-6. World 5 and 6 (the beach and outer space one) gave me the most trouble. It took me many tries to beat all 3 CPU opponents on these worlds (all 8 courses), because they have a propensity to OB you, which is quite frustrating, heh. However, when you finally beat them all, it's incredibly satisfying. So far, I've only been able to do it once... you almost literally have to play a perfect game to beat them all.

I also managed to get a Hole In One on World 6, Course 3. That was super sweet!

I've also seen some CRAZY shots made, both on my accord and on the CPU's. One time, I bounced the ball off 2 bumpers and then into the cup (World 2).

Also discovered what the Anvil icon does: your ball will not be moved if others hit you (quite useful!). Still have no clue what the Ink icon does, though. Anyone been able to figure that one?

Icons really make the game extra fun. One time I was in despair of getting a +2, but landed on the ball switcher, which put me in the lead and completely changed the tide of the battle. I can imagine with 3 friends what a riot and hoot that would cause.

Overall, I like Worlds 1, 2 and 6 the best. 3, 4 and 5 are not as fun IMO. My favorite is World 2, just because it's so kooky and there's a lot of fun things you can do on those courses. Plus, you can really pull off some amazing trick shots that will cause you to fall out of your chair

Which worlds/courses are your favorite, and just curious, which of the 12 golfers do you use most often? (They're strictly cosmetic BTW) I like the first guy, Mr. Mustache, myself.

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys should get in contact with Gideon from Aeon Genesis and ask for some assistance with the translations. The team at Aeon Genesis do amazing work and i'm sure most of you would have already played at least one of their translations. I would be willing to donate $20 or so to see this get translated into full english.
    Or post from help on Romhacking.net and set up a pool of money as a reward for the team that translates it.
    Also when my ICs get here from Japan I will attempt to put this on a real cart and let you know how it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by davotron View Post
    You guys should get in contact with Gideon from Aeon Genesis and ask for some assistance with the translations. The team at Aeon Genesis do amazing work and i'm sure most of you would have already played at least one of their translations. I would be willing to donate $20 or so to see this get translated into full english.
    Or post from help on Romhacking.net and set up a pool of money as a reward for the team that translates it.
    Also when my ICs get here from Japan I will attempt to put this on a real cart and let you know how it goes.

Before March, I would have been all over this. Now, because it works on the PowerPak, I don't really see the need to be honest. There isn't much English at all, and it's already been translated in this thread (not in-game, but you know what the Japanese words mean thanks to the translation provided by some bloke).

Having said that, if someone would release an English version on a cart with its own glossy label art, I might still buy it, lol. But for now, I'm pretty damn content having it on the 'Pak. It's nice to see someone making the effort though to put it on cartridge. I know many who are still into that "I like the idea of having this game by itself on its own specific cart" kind of deal.

Brand new URL!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since this thread has been bumped (and I've brought it up in the Nintendo Age forum version of the thread), I think I may plug some BS Zelda ROM hacking progress of note. Which is sorta related, since this is a thread about a Satellaview game. :P

http://superfamicom.org/blog/2012/01...atch-now-v-90/To start, Mottzilla's patch, which has been being worked on for a while, is at v.90. If you want to play BS Zelda on your Powerpak, this is -the- way to go, especially since as of this version it's basically bug-free. [/url]

http://z9.invisionfree.com/bszelda/i...showtopic=1330There's also been substantial progress in getting th older BS Zelda ROM hacks to boot up. While not perfect, these can all basically be played start-to-finish now.[url]

As BS Zelda is probably one of the most-oft requested Satellaview games to get running on hardware, this should hopefully help a good amount of folks.

And of course, I will still take a bribe on any Powerpak-boot bounties, as well.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I was going to say it looks a lot like Kirby's Dream Course. Great SNES game so I'd probably be interested in this.
    +1 to this. MOAR MINI GOLF GAMES PLZ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents, and give credit where credit is due. First, thanks to "Steven" for opening our eyes to this game, and other "BS Satellaview" games. I had heard about these "Satellaview" games a while ago, and how they were only in Japan, but never figured they'd be playable on a legit SNES. Great news. Good work "Kiddo" on editing the header. Sounds like a translation patch will be just around the corner for some of these BS games (here's hoping - anybody?).

I'm curious, as I saw somebody posted a link (earlier on in this thread), which I'm definitely going to have to try on my powerpak!!

What I'm wondering is, has anybody managed to get "BS F-Zero" (aka F-Zero 2) to work on a PowerPak?? I know it exists, as I believe I've seen repro's available of it, and plays on an emulator, so I figure this is as good as spot as any to inquire. The ROM of it that I have won't play on my PowerPak - I'm guessing that's due to the header on the ROM that I have? (I'm not too technical, so this is purely a guess).

Thanks, and keep up the great work everybody. Amazing that there are still games like this out there, that are only now seeing the light of day. Awesome.
    Last edited by Sneak613; 01-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well since this thread has been bumped, I am gonna have to give this game another ride. We have a family game night, and this one needs to bee added to the game rotation. We moved since the last time I played this game, it kinda got lost in the shuffle. This one sure deserves some more play!!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak613 View Post
    Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents, and give credit where credit is due. First, thanks to "Steven" for opening our eyes to this game, and other "BS Satellaview" games. I had heard about these "Satellaview" games a while ago, and how they were only in Japan, but never figured they'd be playable on a legit SNES. Great news. Good work "Kiddo" on editing the header. Sounds like a translation patch will be just around the corner for some of these BS games (here's hoping - anybody?).

I'm curious, as I saw somebody posted a link (earlier on in this thread), which I'm definitely going to have to try on my powerpak!!

What I'm wondering is, has anybody managed to get "BS F-Zero" (aka F-Zero 2) to work on a PowerPak?? I know it exists, as I believe I've seen repro's available of it, and plays on an emulator, so I figure this is as good as spot as any to inquire. The ROM of it that I have won't play on my PowerPak - I'm guessing that's due to the header on the ROM that I have? (I'm not too technical, so this is purely a guess).

Thanks, and keep up the great work everybody. Amazing that there are still games like this out there, that are only now seeing the light of day. Awesome.
    Before I answer the question, and without nitpicking anything else about your questions, I would like to give a reminder that The "BS F-Zero 2" ROM circulating around does not appear to be the entire thing, as evidenced by the NND video shown here.

But with that out of the way! ... How much ya willin' to pay? :3
    *coughcough*
    But in all seriousness, yeah, The ROM also has a Satellaview ROM header which the Powerpak doesn't like. Hacking it to boot would be similar to hacking OB Club to boot - replacing the header with a standard SNES header. As I've previously booted up said ROM on my ol' Super UFO ROM Copier and my SFC Neo Myth there should be no problems running it.

Someday the Powerpak should just up and accept Satellaview ROMs, though.

EDIT:

I've made a quick Satellablog article on this. Feel free to tell me if you think anything needs to be clarified.

http://superfamicom.org/blog/2012/01...-modification/
    Last edited by Kiddo; 01-10-2012 at 04:21 PM.