Thread: Midnight Mutants 7800 Oddity

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Midnight Mutants 7800 Oddity

Hey guys. Something VERY strange happened to me the other day, and I just have to share it with you.

I picked up Midnight Mutants for the 7800 the other day, and though I liked it a lot, I wasn't satisfied with the 7800 controllers. So I turned the machine off, plugged in my trusty Genesis controller, and turned the machine back on. The Atari logo came on, but then I got nothing. I then remembered how although the Genesis controller works fine for 2600 games, the 7800 doesn't always like it. So, without turning the power off, I unplugged the genesis controller, and I looked around for the 7800 controller, but I was a bit drunk, and went to sleep. This was about 1am.

At 5am, I wake up to the sound of some messed up music coming from the other room. Somehow, Midnight Mutants had turned on all by itself.

I've been so puzzled by this that i've tried it several times. Go ahead and try it for yourself if you have the game. Plug in a Genesis controller, turn it on, unplug the controller, and wait about 4 hours. Suddenly it will turn on by itself! So weird! How can this be?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

"They're Here................."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Platypus View Post
    So, without turning the power off, I unplugged the genesis controller, and I looked around for the 7800 controller, but I was a bit drunk, and went to sleep. This was about 1am.

At 5am, I wake up to the sound of some messed up music coming from the other room. Somehow, Midnight Mutants had turned on all by itself.

I've been so puzzled by this that i've tried it several times. Go ahead and try it for yourself if you have the game. Plug in a Genesis controller, turn it on, unplug the controller, and wait about 4 hours. Suddenly it will turn on by itself! So weird! How can this be?
    Possible obvious explanation:

First, you were drunk off your rocker.

Second, when you unplugged the Genesis controller and started searching for the 7800 controller, you fell asleep. It was during this time that the game started once more, but you did not hear it because you were drunk beyond belief.

A few hours later, you wake up, because the amount of alcohol in your body diminished, making you a bit more sober than before, making you realize that the game was playing in the other room.

Not once did you state that you turned off the console, but that you left the console on while unplugging the Genesis controller. So when you left to search for the 7800 controller, everything transpired.

Another scenario could be that, while sleeping because of your drunken stupor, the electrical power in your house flickered, causing a reset on the 7800 system, making the game load. You did not hear the game because you were drunk, until you sobered up a bit a few hours later and woke up.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Megasdkirby, you need reading comprehension practice You missed this whole paragraph here:
    He's repeated the experiment AND the results were the same, while sober and awake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I heard that if you remove part of an Xbox's heatsink and stand it up vertically, it'll turn into an Xbox 360 after four days! I've tried it five times and it's never failed! Weird, huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl View Post
    Megasdkirby, you need reading comprehension practice You missed this whole paragraph here:

He's repeated the experiment AND the results were the same, while sober and awake.
    Wow, I totally missed that part!

Well, now there is a third explanation: it's possessed. My recommendation: holy water.

Reminds me of what was happening to me a few days ago with a computer I had to repair...although still plugged to the AC outlet, it would turn on by itself! No specific time frame...just sporadically. Ruled out LAN/PXE issues, PSU...everything leading to a defective motherboard.

Though for a second, I wanted to get Holy Water!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I would be more then glad to try this myself!

only one problem, I lack Midnight Mutants for the Atari 7800
    if anyone is willing to send me this cartridge, I would be grateful!

I will then post my findings right here at Digital Press!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really would like someone else to confirm this. I understand if you guys are a bit skeptical. Anyhow here's some clarification about how to do it:

1. Don't turn the power off. If a genesis controller is in there (just one, leave the second port unplugged) the Atari logo will show up, but then you will get a black screen. The power is still on at this point.
    2. You must unplug the genesis controller. I tried an experiment where I left it in (hoping I could play Midnight Mutants with a better controller) but after ~6 hours nothing happened.
    3. I should not have said that the machine will "turn on" after a few hours. The machine was always on. I should have said that the game will "boot up".

I hope someone can confirm this for me, and prove to you that I'm not crazy, and I'm not just trolling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was about to say, there was no mention of you actually turning the machine off at any point.

Some Genesis controllers have a negative effect on an Atari 7800. I used to have a cheap Genny compatible arcade stick that created a bar of static across the screen when used on a 7800, along with a buzzing sound. I'd guess something about the pins in which the voltage comes through getting crossed.