Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Sega Master System games you've played

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Worst Sega Master System games you've played

I just got done playing ALF for Sega Master System. I was excited because I didn't even know that existed. But it was really bad. I also remember playing "MY Hero" and thinking it wasn't very good. What are some of the best and worst Master System games you've played?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I know many will be in shock, but for me, I despise:

-After Burner
    -Black Belt
    -Mostly all "Great" sports games
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

"Great" is the Master System synonym for "Heaping Pile Of Diarrhea Dogshit".
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    "Great" is the Master System synonym for "Heaping Pile Of Diarrhea Dogshit".
    I was just about to say something similar to this.

Most games on cards aren't that great, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I never thought of them as horrid, though. The worst was "fair", which was "My Hero". The best card game, for me, is "Ghost House", followed my Teddy Boy. "Transbot" was also pretty decent.

I always thought of the card games as "simple" games, nothing spectacular...something similar to value games released on current gen consoles. Though for me, "Ghost House" was really, really good, though repetitive and hard, specially on level 6.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think anyone will scoff at you for hating the Afterburner conversion megasdkirby. The frame rate was so choppy which hindered the gameplay.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic.

:lol:

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I was just about to say something similar to this.

Spy vs Spy was great!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I quite like After Burner on the SMS… I find it a solid and fun game - I do not play it expecting the arcade game and rate and enjoy it on its own merits.
    however, one popular title I cannot get into, Space Harrier… It seems to have issue with framerate, choppy movement and controls, and it just end up being too difficult to play and overcome these shortcomings… I am able to play well beyond the issues of other games such as Out Run, Thunder Blade, After Burner, Galaxy Force… and then Space Harrier 3-D plays infinitely better in every way so it is impossible for me to step down to playing the original Space Harrier on the SMS… for playing the original, I will enjoy playing on the Turbo Grafx-16 or Sega Saturn (with the Mission Stick!)

I like most anything on the Sega Master System, but there are a few I do find sub-par…

Great sports games
    F-16 Fighting Falcon
    Alex Kidd in High Tech World
    Alf
    Altered Beast (terrible, choppy controls)
    Vigilante (horrid controls, poor collision detection) - but I have a twisted enjoyment playing this game to overcome its shortcomings, and have been able to 1cc it!
    Last edited by TurboGenesis; 02-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Afterburner doesn't even have throttle control, but I don't hate it.

I kind of hate Action Fighter and Wonderboy, but I really just hate the music.

I do hate Transbot. That is the only Master System game I ever returned. Are there any levels after you go underground? Nobody knows, it just seems to keep going!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    My main gripe with Wonderboy is the lack of a save feature, or anything that can be used to continue at a later time. The game is tediously long, and because of it's repetitive nature, it's a turn off to many.

Also, collecting all the dolls...what is the point? I collected ALL dolls, got the "extra", hidden stage, got all dolls there too...for NOTHING. Same ending, just slightly different headed boss. No actual reason to go through the entire game "perfectly".

Pretty good game, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Afterburner doesn't even have throttle control, but I don't hate it.

I do hate Transbot. That is the only Master System game I ever returned. Are there any levels after you go underground? Nobody knows, it just seems to keep going!
    is just the music that you don't like? or the gameplay, controls, et cetera…

I love Action Fighter but its a tough game, which I love to play to overcome the challenge… I do find that there are some issues with collision detection - sometimes I will die when I know full well that a bullet did not hit my sprite!
    Wonder Boy is one I also like as it is solid all round and I prefer it to Adventure Island…

Transbot is a decent game, but I play it for score so the game being infinite is ok when perusing a high score…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    My main gripe with Wonderboy is the lack of a save feature, or anything that can be used to continue at a later time. The game is tediously long, and because of it's repetitive nature, it's a turn off to many.

Also, collecting all the dolls...what is the point? I collected ALL dolls, got the "extra", hidden stage, got all dolls there too...for NOTHING. Same ending, just slightly different headed boss. No actual reason to go through the entire game "perfectly".

Pretty good game, though.
    The only true point to collect the dolls is if you are aiming for high score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TurboGenesis,

I actually enjoy both Action Fighter and Wonderboy gameplay wise, but the music kills it for me. Actually Wonderboy's somewhat slippery gameplay mechanic also kind of deters me at times. I played the hell out of both of these games though.

megaskirby,

I agree, Wonderboy is a great game. It is very unique and challenging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I bought a used SMS in the late '90s with maybe 14 games, and have over time built up a decent amount of games for it. I still can't get interested in any game on the system for some reason. I don't know why, but nothing fires me up on that console. Some element is missing that just leaves me flat. So I'd have to say "all of them". It's just a personal opinion.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games I really dislike are F-16 Fighting Falcon, Vigilante, and Black Belt. I can't really say I dislike the Great sports games since I never gave most of them a chance. The only one I ever spent time with was Great Golf, which I actually liked.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Vigilante (horrid controls, poor collision detection) - but I have a twisted enjoyment playing this game to overcome its shortcomings, and have been able to 1cc it!
    I get that same twisted enjoyment from playing ALF. I was never able to beat it though.
    Last edited by Scissors; 02-27-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great Golf is still one of my favorite Golf games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I liked the game, but it's terribly easy, specially when in most cases, you can just jump over the enemies.

Basically, the strategy is: jump over enemies, grab nun chuck, meet boss, defeat boss by squatting and using nun chucks when it gets close. Some bosses can be defeated by standing and using nun chucks, though.

SUPER simple.

Strider is a game I dislike, mostly because of how tediously slow and sluggish the controls are. This makes the game incredibly hard, but a pattern is easily distinguishable, so it can be beaten fairly easily with practice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

TurboGenesis,

I actually enjoy both Action Fighter and Wonderboy gameplay wise, but the music kills it for me. Actually Wonderboy's somewhat slippery gameplay mechanic also kind of deters me at times. I played the hell out of both of these games though.

megaskirby,

I agree, Wonderboy is a great game. It is very unique and challenging.
    ah, fair enough
    I don't think SMS music is great or memorable (compared to something like NES) but I'm not to bothered by it… Could be worse, like Atari 7800

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    I get that same twisted enjoyment from playing ALF. I was never able to beat it though.
    I disliked ALF when I was young… was upset the whole weekend I had rented it! but now I'd like to get it again and play it to get that twisted enjoyment! I recently watched a youtube vid of a run through the whole game so now I want to attempt my hand at completing it!

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I liked the game, but it's terribly easy, specially when in most cases, you can just jump over the enemies.

Basically, the strategy is: jump over enemies, grab nun chuck, meet boss, defeat boss by squatting and using nun chucks when it gets close. Some bosses can be defeated by standing and using nun chucks, though.

SUPER simple.
    I like the game enough, but I always try to get a good score so I'm always trying to defeat more enemies instead of jumping over them… using that tactic was how I progressed through the game to better learn it and develop strategies to try and score more points…
    also I think sometimes there is a delay from when you press the button and when you actually perform an action! but still I personally like the game for what its worth…

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Wasn't this on the Turbografx too? If it's the same game I've played the Turbografx version and it wasn't Action 52(NES) bad but it was pretty terrible.

For Master System games, I'm going with most of them. I've played dozens of different games over the years as I've bought different bundles, but I can't even remember the names of most of them as they weren't anything special. I just found the controls in Rampage and Double Dragon to be bad so I didn't keep them, those are a couple I can still remember the specific names.