Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSP now $130

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope Europe follows with a similar price drop.
    I've been meaning to buy one for a while, and in a month am going on a trip so it would be very nice to have one.
    http://andallshallbewell.wordpress.com
    Where I talk about whatever I want - which includes lots of videogames.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I'm waiting for retailers to move PSP Go for $80 or less. It'll be fun to install emulators and the PSP games I already dropped money on.

what he said.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    They should've dropped it to an even $100
    I wholly agree with this. $130 is still too much when the system is practically dead and the releases have only been trickling out for so long (granted, basically the whole PSP lifespan has been a trickle of releases). I remember getting my PS1 back in 1999 for $100 and it was still going strong, so Nintendo and Sony have no excuse in my book for the cost of their handhelds at this point.

Although, this is coming from someone that happily paid $300 to import a limited edition PSP in 2007. Kinda hard to tell people not to pay $130 given that.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seeing how PSP 2 (NGP for some reason doesn't click) lacks backwards compatibility for the UMD medium. Sony's just milking every dollar out of this "dying cow" for what it's worth. But if they REALLY want to get more bang for their buck, might I suggest Sony serving up the whole JRPG smorgasbord for the fans stateside. (Hey a guy can dream right? )

Aussie, I wouldn't call the releases on PSP trickling just yet. The RPG stream is still running strong believe it or not. Just for March, it's getting 6 titles alone. So, don't count it out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have about 95 DS games....and almost 50 PSP games. Which is a pretty fair number of PSP games actually, and they're almost ALL great games IMO. Tons of great RPGs, a few amazing action games, and a LOT of exclusive content. I have 2 PSP2000s, one new, one modded. Not just for BS piracy, but so I can run my games UMD-free (saves battery life). I have emulators...but I find I barely play em...the regular library is so good!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Did the Go see it's price reduced?
    UPDATE: Yes. The Go did see an official price reduction.

http://hothardware.com/News/Sony-Dro...-Price-To-150/
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imports are also especially cheap for PSP since demand isn't anywhere near as big for it as DS. I would suggest seeking out Piposaru Racing, Spectral Vs. Generation and the Konami shooter collections among others.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If people can't find something worth playing on PSP, they aren't looking hard enough.

Library sucked like four years ago. Now it's AMAZING.

It's really good hardware, I don't even think it needs replacing. Seems like the system is just gathering steam, and it still outputs better visuals than the 3DS does IMO, 3D aside.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't say the library is amazing (in all caps, no less), but it's a solid library.

As for myself, my lack of playing isn't because of the games but rather the system itself. Whenever I get the inkling to play some PSP, I pretty much never do so because the dang thing loses its charge completely in a freakin' week. I have too many games and too many different systems (not to mention other things to do) to play any system THAT regularly. If the mood strikes me to just casually play something (which would probably only amount to half an hour of playing or so), then I'm probably not going to bother to wait a couple hours to charge it. I just find something else to do. So given all that, the PSP is only worthwhile in my eyes when you seriously want to play through a game. Although when doing that, then you have to deal with the fact that you're charging every few hours of playing, making it feel like you're charging it constantly. Gets to be a chore.

On the other hand, I can let my SP or DS sit for months and they'll still have enough of a charge for at least a little bit of casual playing.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Yeah, so you don't own many PSP games and the PSP has hardly any games in comparison to the amount the DS has, but at 400 DS games, how many of those aren't complete garbage? I'd say 25% at the most are good or even decent games.
    Dude. I own 80+ PSP games. What are you talking about? I was making the comparison that i've got 5.2 DS games to ever PSP game I own. Thus showing what system gets more of my time and money. That was all. I don't know many people who'd say that though I only have 80 PSP games that i've not got very many. I own 20+ more than you, so what does that say about your aparently ZOMG paltry collection?

My collection is not full of the Bratz/Petz type shit. I do have some crap titles, but by no means is it a majority percentage, it's lucky if it's 10%. I'm not even going to try to argue % with you due to your huge bias towards so many games/franchises. Things that I may enjoy could get ZOMG SUX comments from you. I should bust out my Disgaea DS and just call it a day.

I collect, but if I don't like the game I sell it. There are still some PSP games that I want that I'm missing, but right now I have 60 PSP. There's atleast 50 there that are worth owning in my opinion. The DS I have about the same amount I own and I think are worth owning. The systems are fairly equal with the amount of good titles, but I like most of the PSP titles a bit more than many of those on the DS.
    To each their own. I don't sell once I buy it. I tend to buy 'X' game for a reason, so the desire to liquidate it afterwords is pretty small. I'm not a ravenous fanboy to spew hate against one system over another. They all have their merits. I enjoy my DS more than the PSP, plain and simple, just like you enjoy your PSP more. That however doesn't mean that I don't like my PSP, I still buy new games for it, I just tend to not play them, good game or not.

Now that the PSP is this price, I just don't see the reason that everyone here doesn't own both a DS and a PSP. I'd understand if you have some sort of major backlog, but alot of you are just waiting for the system to be much lower than the price of the DS and for what reason? Because your opinion of it as a poor system? I think it's more of a dislike of the system just because you don't own it and don't want to support it until it's completely dead.

I can easily see that people don't want to support a system that gets little retail space, systems that make your games completely unplayable on them (PSPgo) and a lack of a consistant level of support from the parent company as good reasons not to invest in a system.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Okay, so I'm thinking about buying my first PSP.

1) What model should I get?
    2) What are the games that I should get in the beginning that are CAN'T miss? This can include some RPG's.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    UPDATE: Yes. The Go did see an official price reduction.

http://hothardware.com/News/Sony-Dro...-Price-To-150/
    Actually it didn't. It's back to $200 now on Sony Style.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Actually it didn't. It's back to $200 now on Sony Style.
    I've been reliably finding BNIB ones on Craigslist for $100-120 for months.

I sort of want one, just because it's uber slick hardware, but it's useless as I will never buy digitally distributed software.

It would be nice as a hax/emulation machine though, so I can keep my other PSP's for normal UMD-only use.

Insert Coin (Level 0) phantomfriar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a 3000 off Amazon's Warehouse deals a couple of weeks ago. I bought it primarily to run emulators (which you can run without even installing custom firmware) and I've really been impressed. Also picked up a whole stack of retro gaming collections all under $10.

With the new PSP coming out later this year I think this is a really good time to take advantage of the older PSP and its software library...I had a DS but the emulation aspect of it wasn't nearly as good as the PSP's for older gaming rigs. And again, you don't really need to do anything to get the emulators to run if you are running Half Byte Loader. The only thing that doesn't seem to run too well is Mame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Reflection back on the PSP, I think that it has really done well on its death bed in the US. There has been a nice swan song of games and support, espically if like hardcore RPGs. Like its console brother, the PSP suffered from some terrible market blunders and price point issues. This is the "window of time" to go out and stock up on deals if you want one. I still prefer my DS over the PSP for many reasons, here are the pros and cons right now:

Pros
    Finally a price that it should have been all along
    Cheaper games and sales to be found(if you can find them)
    Nice selection of RPGs/strategy games
    Ability to connect to a TV set
    Wonderful game system if the wife wants to watch something you dont.
    better multifunction for movies and music.

Cons
    Not as portable as the DS
    Load times
    games are less "pick up and play" and more like mobile PlayStation games.
    battery life
    library of games is lopsided with hardcore choices, does not appeal to everyone

People are going to have their preference on which is better. Honestly does it matter? Both systems have their strengths and things that they suck at. The cool thing is that we have some wonderful choices right now for gaming on the go. I also see the future being even more competitive, which is always a win for the consumers.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist