Thread: Can I correct my stupid mistake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default Can I correct my stupid mistake?

Guys I need some advice.

Today I was moving my consoles to a new shelf, rearranging the cables and power supplies. I made the stupid mistake of plugging my NES AC 9v power supply into my RetorN3 NES/SNES/Genesis famiclone and turned it on for about five seconds before realizing what I had done. Sure enough, it doesn't work now. The RetorN3 uses a 9v center pin positive DC plug.

Is there anything I can do to remedy my mistake? The RetorN3 has a standard 7805 voltage regulator which I'm assuming is kaput. Would replacing it restore the system to working order? Anything else? The system never exploded, popped or started smoking and I I've immediately taken it apart and examined the boards and don't see any signs of stress, burns or other damage.

I feel mad at myself, but it was honestly a simple mistake and I'm hopeful I can correct my mistake rather than calling the system a write off.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

In my experience, usually there's something you can solder that will fix it (note that I've always had someone else do the soldering, never done it myself).

Also, how rare is this RetorN3 thing? Is it absolutely impossible to simply get a new one, or something like it?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

If you are lucky, it has a fuse that will blow under such circumstances, so all you have to do is replace the fuse. They'll often be labeled 'F1' on the board, but I'm not sure that is always the case. You can test it with a multimeter to see that it is blown, and then bridge it with some wire just to confirm the system works before you bother soldering in a new fuse.

I'm an amateur at best, though, so you may want to wait for the opinion of ooxxxoo or someone else that's very knowledgeable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also, how rare is this RetorN3 thing? Is it absolutely impossible to simply get a new one, or something like it?
    We sell an NES/SNES/Genesis clone at the store called a Retron 3. Perhaps that's the one he means?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

hm...looking over the boards, I see something I'm assuming are fuses that I am assuming are the problem. They're boxy horizontal cylinders. On the NES daughterboard there is one is labeled SJC21477B. It looks fine. On the Genesis/SNES board there's another labeled RJH143181A. Looking it over, it looks like it received the damage as it's slightly rusty looking compared to the others. The same is true for another one on the SNES board labeled F01214772A. This one looks the worst of the two. There's also another one labeled RJH24576A on the Genesis/SNES board, but it looks fine.

So the bad ones look like they're

RJH143181A
    F01214772A <- this chip looks to be pretty bad. If anyone has a RetorN3 (I have a 1.0) please open it up and confirm I got the lettering right. It's very hard to make it out. Thanks.

What are these parts I need to replace?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    What are these parts I need to replace?
    Get a multimeter and test the fuses first. Replace any that are bad.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those metal lozenges you took pictures of are the crystal oscillators, not fuses. It's possible they might have been damaged, but you should look elsewhere first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those components are probably fine. That's just some corrosion on the housing.
    Like others have said, check for blown fuses first.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You probably killed the voltage regulator. I once did something similar with a Jaguar PSU and a Genesis (or something like that) and replacing the regulator fixed it. You can pick them up from Radio Shack for a few dollars.