Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got an N64, what do you recommend to maximize the experience?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default I got an N64, what do you recommend to maximize the experience?

Being in Canada I was not pleased with N64 Ebay offerings, any good deals were offset by shipping costs. Fortunately I found a nice N64 package at Value Village for $20! I was so happy and I hoped to find it had the memory expansion module and sure enough when I removed the lid it was in there! SCORE! First I thought it was the default pack in the slot that merely bridges the connectors but after checking and researching online I found it is the memory module. I understand this improves some titles and is actually required for some? Anyway, I have the console with extra memory, AV hookups and Superpad 64. Previously before picking this up I already had a couple controllers (first party and 3rd party) as I have an Adaptoid USB PC adapter for using N64 pad with emulators. I also picked up an Ultraracer64 Driving controller. I also have a Gameshark v3 which I have not tested yet (I hear many are flakey or break easily) but I hope it works. So far I have only 1 game Quest64. I am not concerned with extra gamepads as it is unlikely at this stage in my life I will be playing multiplayer (I do not have friends/relatives interested in that) but specific controllers or input devices and any other recommendations for anything else to really get full enjoyment from the N64. I know I need a Memory pak to save games? Is the Rumble pak worthwhile? As always I assume first party accessories are best? Let me know you favorite accessories, games, hell even N64 related experiences/stories. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's some essential titles for you to track down:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Super Mario 64
    GoldenEye 007
    Perfect Dark
    Star Fox 64
    Bomberman 64
    Super Smash Bros.
    NBA Hangtime (even if you don't normally like basketball, this was a blast in multiplayer)
    WWF Wrestlemania 2000 or WWF No Mercy (again, great multiplayer even if you're not a big wrestling fan)
    Mario Kart 64

I'm sure there will be lots of other suggestions, but those are the games I remember playing the most, either by myself or in crazy multiplayer matches with my friends.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a big fan of the console, but Blast Corps, Wave Race and Sin & Punishment are quality titles.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My faves on N64 (it's a short list):

Mischief Makers
    Sin and Punishment
    Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy
    Super Mario 64
    Mario Kart 64
    Blast Corps
    Beetle Adventure Racing
    Crusin' USA (guilty pleasure)

Despite owning them, I've never played either of the N64 Zelda games, but I'm sure they're excellent, as evidenced by everyone else on the planet, so add those to the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Expansion Pack enchances some games and others (like Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask) require it.

Not all games require a Memory Pack but it would be good to get one or two in case, a handful of games require that to save.

Some of my favorites:

Snowboard Kids 1 + 2 (first one requires a Memory Pack but the second one doesn't)
    Beetle Adventure Racing
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Battletanx
    Vigilante 8
    Kirby 64
    Mischief Makers
    Paper Mario
    Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie
    Body Harvest
    Conker's BFD
    Extreme-G
    F-Zero X
    Ogre Battle 64
    Mystical Ninja
    Harvest Moon 64
    Mario Tennis
    Bust-a-Move 2/3
    Rayman 2
    Space Station Silicon Valley
    Star Fox 64
    Wetrix
    Yoshi's Story
    Winback
    Tetrisphere
    Top Gear Rally
    World Driver Championship
    Star Wars Episode I Racer
    Rogue Squadron
    Road Rash 64
    Hybrid Heaven
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As far as accessories go:

-Get two or three Controller Paks. You'll run out fast from the amount of games released that use it.
    -Rumble Pak's worthwhile. After I started playing Rogue Squadron (runs in 640x480 with Expansion Pak) with it, I noticed that, IMO, there seems to be a slight void left when it and the EP aren't used.
    -The Transfer Pak is useful only for playing Pokemon (Game Boy) games (using the Stadium carts).
    -Unless it is in perfect working condition, be skeptical of third party materials. The Datel Controller Paks (multi-page) have a tendency to randomly erase themselves, and I've never really found a third party controller to be good (unless someone makes a Gamecube-to-N64 adapter).

Hope that says something.
    Last edited by Enigmus; 03-02-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: I find "controller pak" to be sillier than "memory pak." Still, corrected.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As soon as I saw the title of the thread I was going to say Expansion Pack!!, but it sounds like yours came with one. (It has a vented red top) The regular jumper pack is simply black.

This all depends on what kind of games you like playing. For Adventure/RPG type games:

Conker's Bad Fur Day (if you find at a decent price, don't pay what some used game stores ask)
    Gauntlet Legends
    Goemon series (awesome 2.5D platformers. (Mix of Zelda/Mario 64, although not extremely long or difficult, very interesting and weird in a Japanese humor way)
    Zelda series (enough said. yes they are all they're cracked up to be, but unless you were born with some innate Zelda sense you will probably need to use ign walkthroughs when you get stuck. Since you said you don't plan on much multiplayer These are THE games for you.)

Others:

Mario Tennis - entertains me for hours every time I decide to throw it in.
    Super Smash Bros. - possibly the most classic N64 game IMO (although the entertainment value increases exponentially with multiplayer)

If you're a Star Wars fan:
    Rogue Squadron
    Shadows of the Empire (It has mixed appeal, but I enjoy it)
    Battle for Naboo

I'm sure I'll be adding to this thread as things come to mind. If I can suggest one thing, I'm not sure if you said you have a first party Nintendo 64 controller, A decent one is highly recommended. If you're Bill Gates a Hori Minipad is ideal. Also, most N64 games are much more common than video game stores will lead you to believe. Anything over $5.00 for a lot of games is outrageous. A gray cart zelda game is not rare or worth $25.00 to anybody but crack heads who run pawn shops. I recommend buying game lots off of ebay if you want to give your collection a quick boost for a reasonable price.

Edit: I second Snowboard Kids 1 + 2 , great games
    Last edited by jordandavid; 03-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to warn you, watch out with the controller paks. They're kind of delicate. Make sure you don't toss your controller around when the pak is in it. I lost my character in NBA Hangtime many times due to the pak erasing itself and had to start over.

Also, if you're looking for another fun little four-player fighter a la Smash Bros., give Xena a try. It's nowhere near the quality of Smash Bros., but still lots of fun in small doses. HAIL CAESAR!

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In addition to many of the games already mentioned:

Pokemon Snap - never been a fan of the Pokemon series, but this is one of the best games for the N64

And somebody already mentioned the AKI/THQ wrestling series, but just wanted to throw in my two cents. If you're only going to pick one, go with the final outing in the series, No Mercy. Most gameplay variety, great selection of wrestlers, and an ultra deep create-a-wrestler. I would even recommend No Mercy over the highly thought of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A playstation 1
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    A playstation 1
    you're sig is funny, but you're kind of being a playstation stan. PS2 is great, but psone is a turd.
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    In addition to many of the games already mentioned:

Pokemon Snap - never been a fan of the Pokemon series, but this is one of the best games for the N64

And somebody already mentioned the AKI/THQ wrestling series, but just wanted to throw in my two cents. If you're only going to pick one, go with the final outing in the series, No Mercy. Most gameplay variety, great selection of wrestlers, and an ultra deep create-a-wrestler. I would even recommend No Mercy over the highly thought of Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.
    I actually liked the create-a-wrestler better in WM 2000 than No Mercy. No Mercy played better, but my friends and I were able to make characters that actually looked like us in WM 2000. In No Mercy our characters looked just a little off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As others are saying, the controller paks (memory cards) tend to spontaneously erase data or corrupt. Maybe it's just me, but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (THPS1) seems to be especially finicky, possibly because it tries to autosave after every 2 min session. I recommend using first party (Nintendo) controller paks and backing up data that is especially important to you. Also, make sure they are clean and when using one firmly insert it into the controller. Don't remove them when the game is saving or says not to (obviously). Be careful when switching from a controller pak to rumble pak and back to save games, and again firmly insert the controller pak. As long as you make sure the connection is solid, usually they work pretty well.

I do recommend THPS though, it kicked off a billion dollar franchise for a reason, and I still think it's one of the best. Usually you can find them for not too much because there is just so many of them.
    Last edited by jordandavid; 03-02-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To maximize your experience, you must get Shadowman 64. It's a great game with an amazing high-res N64 port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking over my collection, Chameleon Twist was a mediocre but fun little 3D platformer that had some cool multiplayer modes. And if you're a Resident Evil fan, the 64 version of RE2 was really good. Smoother and better looking than the PSX original, and without the load times. It even stands up to the Dreamcast and GameCube versions.

If you care about rarity and/or value, be on the lookout for Ogre Battle, Harvest Moon, and Clay Fighter Sculptor's Cut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    If you care about rarity and/or value, be on the lookout for Ogre Battle
    Be on the lookout regardless of rarity and/or value. Great game.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Beyond the obvious stuff, I highly recommend Goemon's Great Adventure. It really doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. It's an absolutely stellar 3D side-scrolling platformer. It's right up there in my top 3 N64 games with Wonder Project J2 and Super Mario 64. I do recommend Wonder Project J2 as well, but only if you're ready to start importing for N64 and if you're willing to play a fairly text-heavy game in Japanese (but it is perfectly enjoyable that way with an FAQ), otherwise you may prefer to emulate and use a fan patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the console, but if you're going to get anything, get Conker's Bad Fur Day. How many other games do you use flower tits as platforms?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Anyone who didn't have Ogre Battle 64 at the top of their lists should be ashamed. Easily the best 64 game(in my opinion) to ever hit the console. And even if you disagree it HAS to be in your top 5!

Another inexpensive, great and addictive game is Quest 64, I am sadened that this has recieved no love.

Frogofdeath, you are not alone!, I would like to second Pokemon Snap

I'd also like to mention the following:
    Banjo Kazooie
    Banjo Tooie
    Donkey Kong 64
    Micro Machines
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy
    Mario Kart 64 (my personal favorite in the series)

Oh, and don't you dare forget the ever popular Superman 64!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The N64 is a love/hate with many people. For me, I absolutely love it. I enjoy the system more than most, and can recommend like most others the above titles. The carts are tough as nails, and the system is pretty durable as well. If I could recommend one game... Star Wars Rogue Squadron. A blast to play, fun power ups, and has alot of unlockables. It also uses the expansion pak. S-video cables for the N64 are cheap to come by, you might want to consider that possibly if you have a TV to support it.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist