Thread: SG-1000 questions

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SG-1000 questions

1) do they play on an American Master System, or do I need a Mark III or SG-1000 system?

2) is there a converter?

3) is there any other device (pirate or whatnot) that attaches to the Genesis like the Power Base Converter that plays SG-1000? I just kind of want to play one or two games.

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't know the answers to the first two questions, but as far as the third goes, you can't attach it to a Genesis, but the Telegames Dina 2-in-1 console plays Sega SG-1000 games in its top cart slot.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

1) American SMS has the proper video modes, so technically yes. However, the carts are not the same pin configuration, so an adapter would be needed.

2) I know of no such adapter widely available. Some of the games wind up with the wrong colors, because the SMS palette didn't include all the SG-1000 colors.

3) Genesis doesn't have the SG-1000 video mode, so no chance.

You could play SG-1000 on US SMS using the "Master Ever Drive." I'm awaiting mine in the mail. Steve is correct about the Dina (plays Colecovision and SG-1000) but those are very rare and go for several hundred dollars. If you just want to play a couple games, use an emulator.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That EverDrive looks nice. Better than something else I ordered from Tototek which only held a few games at a time. But why would SG-1000 games work on it?

Edit: never mind, I see you said SMS not genesis..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get a Mark III Master System. It'll play all SG-1000 cart and MyCard games (like Dragon Wang!) without any converters. Plus it will play all Mark III cart and card games, with built-in FM sound and 3D glasses port. Plus, you can buy a cheap converter from tototek that will allow you to play most non-Japanese SMS games on it, FM sound (when included) and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    1) American SMS has the proper video modes, so technically yes. However, the carts are not the same pin configuration, so an adapter would be needed.
    I'm pretty sure that the non-Japanese SMS consoles do NOT have the ability to play SG-1000 games, regardless of how you get them into the hardware.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get the Mark III sometime and then sell it back after I finish playng Black Onyx on it. Just don't really like having so many systems...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Just get a Mark III Master System. It'll play all SG-1000 cart and MyCard games (like Dragon Wang!) without any converters. Plus it will play all Mark III cart and card games, with built-in FM sound and 3D glasses port. Plus, you can buy a cheap converter from tototek that will allow you to play most non-Japanese SMS games on it, FM sound (when included) and all.

I'm pretty sure that the non-Japanese SMS consoles do NOT have the ability to play SG-1000 games, regardless of how you get them into the hardware.
    If you're talking about physical carts, you're technically right. SEGA used a region code in the header of its SMS games outside Japan. The Master Everdrive adds this code to the header of SG-1000 games when you run them.

PS: Mark III's are also very expensive, and you almost always have to get them from Japan. Also Tototek has been out of those adapters for a while.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I always forget that for the rest of the country, the Telegames Dina 2-in-1 is a rare system. Telegames had a warehouse in Lancaster Texas, south of Dallas, that was damaged by a tornado in the '90s. Telegames dumped a lot of their assorted damaged stock to a few places locally. An electronic junk shop that ended up with loads of games and things also had Dina consoles new and boxed for $7.95 at one point. I just wish I had known what they would eventually be worth and bought a bunch of them.