Thread: Pokemon Black/White

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pokemon Black/White

Is there not already a thread for this?

Or, even more improbably, is it like 6 pages back despite the US release having been yesterday?

Are people not going ape shit for this for any particular reason? Are we not all still riveted by predictably formulaic gameplay and a "not touched since 1996" storyline?

All sarcasm aside, I bought it. I bought the hardcover strategy guide! I downloaded all four discs of the soundtrack, one track at a time! 203 files! I don't regret a minute of it!

I'm crazy. But it's really fun. Who else has it? Friend codes?

I'm not far enough in yet to be able to get online, should be there this evening though.

Vigilant souls will note that I copypasta'd this post from my thread at Assembler I'm lazy.

EDIT: If I missed a thread for this that's not a million pages back, my apologies.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked this up today. I also got the white version. I think some people who are planning on getting the 3DS are not spending their money on regular DS games now since they are going to be buying 3DS games later this month. I needed something to do though until the 3DS comes out

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGamesDude View Post
    I just picked this up today. I also got the white version. I think some people who are planning on getting the 3DS are not spending their money on regular DS games now since they are going to be buying 3DS games later this month. I needed something to do though until the 3DS comes out

I've got my 3DS preorder in also, but hell, I think this game is going to provide a lot more actual entertainment than any 3DS launch game will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

This will be the first Pokemon game I haven't bought since the GBC days. I didn't have the interest or motivation to finish the last entry (heartgold/soulsilver)...so buying these didn't make much sense.

The "Pokemon Grind" just gets to be too much.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't buy Heartgold or Soulsilver and I'm not sure why anyone else did either, they're just remakes.

Granted, ALL Pokemon games are effectively remakes of Red/Blue, but Black/White is the least so in awhile.

It is a lot of grind. Hopefully there are areas with much stronger monsters so that the climb from level 70-100 isn't quite so punishing.

Online battling with stronger people, if exp results, is an easy workaround for that I guess. All the lv 70 people will just fight each other continually until they're all lv 100.

This is why I think online will be huge. It will make the grind fun, or at least more fun. It's much less boring to battle real people than it is to just run through grass and fight randoms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno man, I played Heart Gold for a couple weeks and put it down and haven't been back to it. I'm quite content with grinding in games but I can't stand doing it in Pokemon for some reason.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I picked up both of these, only because ds games were buy one get one half off at toys r us. I still have heart gold which I never played.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quite honestly I experienced some burnout after logging in a couple hundred hours into my copy of Diamond... I've been playing these games since the Red/Blue days, but I'm just going to take a break from the regular series for a while... at least, until the Grey version comes out.

That said, it does look like it'll offer a lot for newcomers and for those who didn't play the previous generation of games. I hear that the end battle in story mode is actually quite epic.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMFGPOKEMON#$#%&^&*@

I only get a chance to play this on my commute each way, and it's seriously the highlight of my day now.

Just got through the first Gym and I feel like it's easier to clear battles where you're at a level disadvantage = i.e. less grind.

My highest-level Pokemon was a solid 4 levels beneath the Gym Leader's highest, and it took a couple tries, but I still won. Part of this is because the game will give you a type-advantaged Pokemon just before this battle if you talk to everyone and pay attention.

Anyway, I dig. Soundtrack is boss, also.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This Pokemon's great, I have the white version, I'm 4 gyms in. I would say best Pokemon game ever!
    Last edited by Urzu402; 03-08-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gave in and bought the game. Love the new concepts in the story mode, as well as facing off against a different trainer at the first gym depending on your starter.

Not really digging the new Pokemon too much, though. Most of what I've seen look like generic designs from a Pokemon knock-off. But I am still very early in the game, so I haven't seen more than a handful.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the same way about Pokemon designs in Emerald/Ruby, but since then (Diamond/Pearl and Black/White) I think they're really good, for whatever reason.

Totally arbitrary, I know.

Post Friend Codes if you have 'em.

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up the Black Version on Monday, and I just caught Victini last night. This reboot is exactly what the series needed. Sure, I enjoyed Pokemon Diamond, but nothing in that game was particularly innovative or memorable.

The only negatives with this game so far, are the some of the Pokemon designs. Like others have said, some of them do look like knock-offs.

Oh, and I like the idea of exchanging Friend Codes. Once I figure out where to find mine in the game, I'll post it here.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^
    You got the Liberty Pass, or you actually caught Victini?

People FLY through these games, lol. I've had it since Sunday and I'm nowhere close to where you'd actually catch Victini.

Did you download in-store or get the Liberty Pass via Wifi?

Here's a list of all the wifi events to date for Black/White by region. If Japan is anything to go by, we have a lot of event Pokemon to look forward to:

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/wifievents.shtml

I want Zoroark!

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    ^^
    You got the Liberty Pass, or you actually caught Victini?

Did you download in-store or get the Liberty Pass via Wifi?
    To answer your questions: I actually caught Victini last night. Also, the Liberty Pass is only available via the Mystery Gift Wi-Fi option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm on the fence about this one. Like many have mentioned, the pokemon in this one tend to look like imitations (for some reason I keep thinking of that old GBC game "Devil Children"). I also literally just bought HeartGold last week. It's been a couple years but I still return to Pearl often -- there is just so much to do in a modern Pokemon game! So with all those numerous hours poured into one game, how many do I really need?

Then again, if I don't get it now then I won't be able to get Victini (legit, at least) and that happens to be one of the more appealing new pokes, in my opinion. Plus the story actually sounds interesting this time.

sigh..
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 03-09-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought White on launch day and am currently just at the 4th Gym. Caught Victini earlier today. Actually slow progress for me considering that was a week ago, I got to the 8th gym in Pearl in 2 days.

Is the game good? On it's own merits, yes. But it really is just another rehash of the previous 4 games (I count different versions as one game). I'm not surprised by this, I just lament it.

The storyline does actually raise one or two interesting points to its credit. But really, Pokemon is 15 years old and it is chugging along at a snails pace. Nintendo is known for innovation. Throwing in another 156 pokemon, limited online play and triple battles is NOT innovation.

It's about time they took charge of GameFreak and upended the tea table. If only they gave the series the same love they give to Mario and Zelda. And given its sales, they should!

The general gameplay needs a serious shake-up. Something along the Smash Bros line perhaps. But whilst it continues to sell by the truckload, it never will.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^
    I agree that B&W should have gotten a much more thorough shake-up.

I've always thought that Pokemon is begging to be an MMO. Put it on a mainline console, and have the portable version be some kind of offshoot where you accomplish different things.

I WISH I had the time to get through 8 gyms in a couple days. It will take me weeks to finish this. I only get about 40 minutes of play time per day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, Audino is like a pinata full of exp. I don't think level grinding will be much of a problem in this game. Also, hell yes reusable TMs, and a huge de-emphasizing of HMs.

And really? "Woobat"? Is that the best they could come up with?

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    ? "Woobat"? Is that the best they could come up with?
    lol, I remember thinking the same thing.