Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A call for collectors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default A call for collectors

Hey everyone, I'm currently writing for Fraggs Magazine (fraggs.net), and am starting to write a monthly feature on hardcore collectors. Each month we profile a collector and their collection of games, consoles, and assorted merchandise. We're going into things like how and when you started collecting; why you collect; long term plans for your collection; featured pieces, basic stuff.

If your interested, reply here and I'll get in contact with you.

There's no monetary compensation for participating, but you do get featured in a nationally circulated magazine about games and get some insane bragging rites as a result! You can even use a fake name! We don't care, we just wanna see your stuff.

Before anyone asks, I'm not trying to SPAM the boards, I just know that if you're like me, then you probably like to talk about your gear with friends, colleagues, and anyone who will listen.

Thanks in advance.
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I would definitely like to participate. 1,400+games, 80+(including variants) game systems, a Gamecube Kiosk display, childhood photo holding my NES that I got for Christmas.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be more than willing to participate but I doubt I'm the sort of collector you're looking for. I probably have as many games as the next guy, but I couldn't tell you offhand how many, I don't give two shits about variants (unless there's added content, or LE, and then I usually only want the better version) and I'm not going for a full set of any system. I'm more of a casual hardcore collector.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in. We'll keep in touch.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd be up for participating as well but I don't have a huge collection like some people have. I've only got around 400 games across 17 systems so sadly I might not be as interesting to interview as most people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am interested, any info you want about my collection just let me know.

Here is a video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWtl0yz4AJA
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    I'd be more than willing to participate but I doubt I'm the sort of collector you're looking for. I probably have as many games as the next guy, but I couldn't tell you offhand how many, I don't give two shits about variants (unless there's added content, or LE, and then I usually only want the better version) and I'm not going for a full set of any system. I'm more of a casual hardcore collector.
    Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    I'd be up for participating as well but I don't have a huge collection like some people have. I've only got around 400 games across 17 systems so sadly I might not be as interesting to interview as most people.
    I'm in the same boat as you guys. 20 consoles, around 500 games, nothing crazy. There may yet be a place for people like us however, I need to run everything by the editor before I can commit to anyone's collection.
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I would definitely like to participate. 1,400+games, 80+(including variants) game systems, a Gamecube Kiosk display, childhood photo holding my NES that I got for Christmas.
    That sounds awesome! I also like the nostalgic flair with the childhood photo in the same room (something I should do with my game room!). Have you got any pictures up any where?
    Dig it old-school?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I guess I wouldn't mind participating. I'm more of a 'hardcore-casual' gamer of 30+ years who's amassed a large collection over time, rather than an uber-collector who hunts down rare titles and box variants and stuff like that.

I'm an extremely frugal gamer, and almost never purchase games until the prices drop significantly. My back log is so large it wouldn't make sense to purchase launch releases because the price would have dropped by the time I got around to playing most of them anyway. I currently have about 2000 games, maybe 40 game systems, and I receive most of my consoles and about a third of swag as gifts, mostly from my other half. I used to have more, but lost lot of my older collection in a house fire about 8 years ago.

I usually have game themed holidays and rack up lots of gaming goodies for Easter, Christmas and my birthday. I don't own any complete sets for any systems, and don't want any. I only collect games that I actually would enjoy playing, or are of some interesting historical significance (to me). Like many here, I have a dedicated game room, and a lot of game related merchandise, however I don't have crap stacked to the ceiling like a lot of avid collectors. Unlike most gamers today though, I don't play online, and don't spend an excessive amount of time on my hobby.

I do game with the wife a lot, and have a gaming set up at my job so I can pass the time on slow days. Like many, my collecting mainly centers around acquiring vintage games I wanted back in the day, but couldn't afford as a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Sounds fun, I'd like to give it a shot

If anything it would give me a reason to clean the game room <_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I guess I wouldn't mind participating. I'm more of a 'hardcore-casual' gamer of 30+ years who's amassed a large collection over time, rather than an uber-collector who hunts down rare titles and box variants and stuff like that.

I'm an extremely frugal gamer, and almost never purchase games until the prices drop significantly. My back log is so large it wouldn't make sense to purchase launch releases because the price would have dropped by the time I got around to playing most of them anyway. I currently have about 2000 games, maybe 40 game systems, and I receive most of my consoles and about a third of swag as gifts, mostly from my other half. I used to have more, but lost lot of my older collection in a house fire about 8 years ago.

I usually have game themed holidays and rack up lots of gaming goodies for Easter, Christmas and my birthday. I don't own any complete sets for any systems, and don't want any. I only collect games that I actually would enjoy playing, or are of some interesting historical significance (to me). Like many here, I have a dedicated game room, and a lot of game related merchandise, however I don't have crap stacked to the ceiling like a lot of avid collectors. Unlike most gamers today though, I don't play online, and don't spend an excessive amount of time on my hobby.

I do game with the wife a lot, and have a gaming set up at my job so I can pass the time on slow days. Like many, my collecting mainly centers around acquiring vintage games I wanted back in the day, but couldn't afford as a kid.
    That is almost exactly my situation. I look for the games that I wanted the most in my youth and only hunt down REALLY rare stuff if it's something that I really want to own, and if I can find it for a reasonable price. Even if the collection is smaller, there could still be an awesome story behind it! I think even badass game rooms are worth mentioning (even if they aren't filled floor to ceiling with rare games and every variant of the N64).
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Sounds fun, I'd like to give it a shot

If anything it would give me a reason to clean the game room <_<
    Fantastic! PM me with some info about your collection and we'll talk.
    Dig it old-school?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Retronick View Post
    That sounds awesome! I also like the nostalgic flair with the childhood photo in the same room (something I should do with my game room!). Have you got any pictures up any where?
    The picture was taken in the living room, where I used to do all of my gaming. About pictures up, none of me on the wall, that would be weird. lol I do have some video game related art up and posters, but I try to keep those to a minimum, most are stored away in my closet.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you need a female gamer with somewhere between 4-5000 titles, merch, and action figures, count me in ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playin' the gender card. Niiice.

I'm actually surprised this thread didn't get more of a stampede of people all trying to one-up eachother.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I had something grand to show. I'm doing an unofficial collection, which means I'm trying to track down all the original first prints of obscure pirate/unofficial games for old consoles, i.e Pokemon Stadium on Genesis or Donkey Kong Country on NES/Famicom. So far my collection is only like 70 games though, takes a long time to track stuff. If I ever get to at least 200 or something maybe it will be something worthy of being called a collection Reaching any level of "completion" though I'm betting will be impossible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Retronick View Post
    Fantastic! PM me with some info about your collection and we'll talk.
    PM Sent
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    The picture was taken in the living room, where I used to do all of my gaming. About pictures up, none of me on the wall, that would be weird. lol I do have some video game related art up and posters, but I try to keep those to a minimum, most are stored away in my closet.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. Have you posted any pictures of your game room anywhere?
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Playin' the gender card. Niiice.

I'm actually surprised this thread didn't get more of a stampede of people all trying to one-up eachother.
    I'm sort of surprised too actually
    Dig it old-school?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Currently waiting for the word from my editor on who's collection we're going to profile this issue. I'll let you all know once everything is said and done. Again, this is going to be a monthly piece so don't stress if you didn't make it this month.

Thanks to everyone who's applied so far!
    Dig it old-school?