Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Default Random Game of the Week Blog

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that I've started a new blog series over at CapsuleComputers where I'll be choosing a random game from my collection each week to play and give my thoughts on. Not so much reviews as sharing my experiences both good and bad. I thought this would be a good way to encourage myself to play more of my collection that's been just laying around. I figured the DP community might be interested since my collection ranges from 1977 to 2011.

This week's entry (#1!) is about Solaris on the 2600. I had a lot of fun playing this one to write this up so I hope you guys enjoy reading it. If you want to write any comments or suggestions for making the series better feel free to leave them right on the blog page.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...eek-1-solaris/

Thanks guys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How will your reviews differ from those of the 1000 other reviewers out there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video

You should think about investing in a video recorder of some sort, i for one dont enjoy reading that much especially games
    you can get a Dazzle for around $50 and it records quite well, also you dont necessarily have to even talk, just record the game and write an article. Otherwise it seems pretty bland
    meoooooowers

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    How will your reviews differ from those of the 1000 other reviewers out there?
    He didn't say that it does, and I don't see why it has to.

That said, the style of writing seems more like a stream of consciousness rather than collected thoughts after the fact. I dig it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kafa111 View Post
    You should think about investing in a video recorder of some sort, i for one dont enjoy reading that much especially games
    This is why writing for a medium with no space constraints and without an editor can be both a good and bad thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    He didn't say that it does, and I don't see why it has to..
    well if its just like all of the other ones there is no motivation to read it
    meoooooowers

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kafa111 View Post
    well if its just like all of the other ones there is no motivation to read it
    Unless you like all the others ones, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Well they aren't really reviews like I said. It's just me playing something random each week, trying to keep it fresh, and writing up my thoughts. Like Berserker said, it's sort of a stream of consciousness thing. I might give my impressions on the story, graphics, gameplay, I might offer my personal experiences or recollections, anecdotes. Does it really need to be a review or to compare to other online reviewers to be worthwhile?

And in response to kafa, I am considering adding a video element to them when I can. I'm not sure if I'll turn the whole thing into video, or just add gameplay videos to the blog post, but we'll see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good article. I'm gonna have to check this game out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I just posted the second entry of this blog. This one is on Metroid Fusion. Once again, let me know what you think: both positive and negative. I'm always glad to get some community feedback. And if you like it please feel free to tell your friends.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...etroid-fusion/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always welcome new review blogs and I'm always interested to see what people think about those games
    Picking a game randomly is definitively a plus in my book - people always tend to review the same 'popular' games. So I'll definitively keep an eye on your blog !!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is one who has 1,000 + game, counsel ect. It is cgr or classic game room where is review new and old games (if you can call them new when it's month before they are reviewed). Check this out first and then I would like to see how you can try to top his reviews and bring anything different then him. His channel is on youtube and at the moment not allowed to use the sit and give you the link. Just look for cgr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    There is one who has 1,000 + game, counsel ect. It is cgr or classic game room where is review new and old games (if you can call them new when it's month before they are reviewed). Check this out first and then I would like to see how you can try to top his reviews and bring anything different then him. His channel is on youtube and at the moment not allowed to use the sit and give you the link. Just look for cgr.
    I'm not looking to try to top anybody, and like I've said before these aren't really reviews. I think the Metroid Fusion entry (#2) should make that clear, I talk a lot about my experiences with the game and the series as a whole and some of the parts I particularly liked in Fusion. Also, while I will have videos of gameplay attached to some of my entries, this is a written blog and not a vlog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Entry #3 is up and this time it's Sentinel Returns for the Playstation. Once again, I think this one is quite a bit different than the previous ones in tone and content so let me know what you think.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...tinel-returns/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is surprisingly well written for the internet, which is how it should stay: written. It's a lot quicker and a lot less annoying than watching a youtube video. Still, I'd prefer an actual review over a walkthrough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Here's the 4th entry, this time on Daxter for the PSP. I had a lot of mixed feelings on this game. As always, let me know what you guys think.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...week-4-daxter/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Hmm, I know no one commented on Daxter (or perhaps no one even read it) but what the heck, here's #5: Teleroboxer on Virtual Boy. I had a lot of difficulty with this one due to technical difficulties with my VB and emulation and whatnot, so I tried to express the frustrations that can arise with retro gaming. Feel free to comment, criticize, leave feedback, admire, praise, worship, throw money at, etc. Or don't. Your choice.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2...of-the-week-5/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't really get how you seem to be saying that you're determined to do your own thing and that you don't want your writing to be compared to others, and yet you are so earnestly seeking opinion.

And so, if I amy interject on an unrelated note: what emulator were you using for Teleroboxer? I lost track of what was happening in VB emulation. (It'd be nice to play VB Wario Land some day.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

don't mind if my work is compared to others, that's not what I was trying to say. What I was saying is that I'm not attempting to write better reviews than AVGN or anyone else on the web. What look fun had said was to watch Classic Game Room and then see what I could do to be better. I'm not trying to best others, just trying to do my best.

I used an emulator called Red Dragon, I believe I wrote that in there. It seemed to work somewhat, although I couldn't figure out how to fix the speed or the colors.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Seems pretty cool. Solid writing, nice use of pictures, and I think your concept of using a random number generator to select a game is genuinely unique. I think it would slightly more interesting with a larger pool of games, but I'm not one to suggest that a 600 game collection is small either.

And if you want to write, which appears to be working out quite well for you, then stick to your guns. Don't conform to the lazy masses that want insipid, mouth-breather video reviews because they can't be bothered to read.