Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamer Banned From Dragon Age II Over Forum Post [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Gamer Banned From Dragon Age II Over Forum Post [Slashdot]

RogueyWon writes "Kotaku is reporting that a Dragon Age II gamer banned from BioWare's forums for an allegedly inflammatory post has been locked out of the (singleplayer only) game for the duration of the ban. This is a consequence of EA's backend systems, which link forum accounts to the accounts that players use to access their games. This would appear to be a worrying new development; while trolling forums has led to bans from massively multiplayer games in the past (arguably with some justification), the extension of the principle to singleplayer games, where an abusive player cannot affect the enjoyment of others, must surely be a step too far."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

It's called unplugging the ethernet cable or playing under a new account name. Problem solved.

Lesson learned: Don't be a dick.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Lesson learned: Don't be a dick.
    This. While I disagree completely with a publisher having the ability to cut off access to a legally purchased product, there are a lot of people that need to learn that spouting stupidity on the internet can have negative consequences.

Unfortunately, with the proliferation of digital only software and software which requires server authentication to use, there is going to be more and more of this in the future.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, that list of reasons to pirate current games just keeps getting longer.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    This. While I disagree completely with a publisher having the ability to cut off access to a legally purchased product, there are a lot of people that need to learn that spouting stupidity on the internet can have negative consequences.

Unfortunately, with the proliferation of digital only software and software which requires server authentication to use, there is going to be more and more of this in the future.
    The sad part is that EA won't care as long as money is coming in. A few people might be outraged, but the majority of people won't care at all.

Though, I agree, it is BS.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Damn, that list of reasons to pirate current games just keeps getting longer.
    This.
    I don't pirate games.... Yet.

But sometimes it sure seems that companies are trying to force me to.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand what the justification for a move like that is. Banning someone from a forum for breaking the rules makes sense - if they keep breaking the rules it begins to disrupt the forum.

However, banning someone from playing a single player game that they purchased legally and that they can't use to communicate with others strikes me as being completely vindictive and childish. And also possibly illegal. Bioware better hope that an opportunistic lawyer doesn't catch wind of this - I doubt that their forum's TOS warned players that disruptive behaviour in the community would result in them getting locked out of their game.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is the EULAs that all of today's games come with. We don't actually purchase the game, we purchase the right to play the game. Legally, that's how companies get away with this kind of stuff.

It's complete bullshit, but what can you do?
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    The problem is the EULAs that all of today's games come with. We don't actually purchase the game, we purchase the right to play the game. Legally, that's how companies get away with this kind of stuff.

This.

If you don't like it, you don't get to play anyway. I know everything thinks that by not buying and 'speaking with your wallet' is a big statement, but in reality, a few individuals doing this is not going to stop a big corporation from continuing to do it; you're really not doing that much damage. As long as the payments come in, that's all that matters.

Now if you were to get a giant following (say 100,000+ people), then you'll probably be a prime target for a lawsuit, but they'll probably start to listen once their profits go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post

The notion that EULAs represent some sort of intractable legal bunker that allow companies to do whatever they want is a myth. First off, most EULAs (because they are displayed after the time of purchase) violate the offer and acceptance element of contract law. Whether or not those same EULAs are displayed "elsewhere" is meaningless as, in order to be a valid contract, the terms of the agreement must be reasonably accessible. Hiding the contract on a website and then displaying that URL on the back of a box as a way of informing the user about the EULA is a pretty meager defense of the process.

EULAs used to be fairly reasonable: don't copy the software, don't harass other users, etc etc. If EULAs are being misused there are legal means of having that addressed. As EULAs become more and more abusive there's a growing contingent of legal bodies that are fighting back (with the EFF being the first that springs to mind). Eventually companies will find the rug pulled out from under them and it will most likely be a very costly fall.

EDIT: On a related note, EA's been sneaking SecurROM DRM onto discs of DA2, which violates a court order to inform users when the malware is on the disc. http://www.destructoid.com/ea-sneaks...c-196185.phtml
    Last edited by Wolfrider31; 03-11-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    EDIT: On a related note, EA's been sneaking SecurROM DRM onto discs of DA2, which violates a court order to inform users when the malware is on the disc. http://www.destructoid.com/ea-sneaks...c-196185.phtml
    How is it malware?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    How is it malware?
    I was being colorful, though if you google SecurROM you'll find a pretty thorough bit of documentation on the software.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seen a EULA once for a very small software written by one person, it stated that you should not wear a cape.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone read the comment that he was banned for? I would consider it a valid, and even poignant question. Then again, I'm already biased against EA...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you say online does not appear to be protected by the first amendment in any way.

EA can persecute as well as your employers now.

Sticks and stones...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its really sad read.
    They found a way how to troll us.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bioware Dude
    1. BioWare community bans are forum-only and can be for as little as 24 hours. These bans should have no effect on your game, only your ability to use all the features of this website/community. these bans are handed out by BioWare Moderators as the result of our travels around the forum and/or issues reported by fellow community members.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow.

If there are further questions or concerns, please send them to me via private message. Thank you.

End of line. [Lock down, or end of thread, I would guess.]
    Be excellent to each other. [the reps signature is just the cherry on top. amirite?]
    Translation: Bioware doesn't want to be pricks, but since we are owned by pricks we have no choice in some cases.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Translation: Bioware doesn't want to be pricks, but since we are owned by pricks we have no choice in some cases.
    This. Not that I'm part of the "let's defend Bioware no matter what" crowd. But the whole Dragon Age II fiasco really seems to be a product of Electronic Arts' interference.

Think about the amount of time the original DA:O was in development. It was, engine included, something like 7 - 8 years no? Then, upon release, they follow up with a boatload of DLC, an expansion pack and then a full sequel in less than two years.

Is it any wonder that DA2 uses recycled environments, a limited world and a story that doesn't even continue the original's? Given the amount of resources they had, it seems impossible for DA2 to be anywhere near the quality of the first. Frankly, I have my suspicions that this was also intended to be an expansion pack (at least originally) in the vein of Awakening as opposed to a real sequel.

This sounds like EA's exec team put their boot on Bioware's neck and either a) forced them to turn an expansion pack into a sequel or b) force them to limit the scope of the sequel severely in order to get the game out the door. If you think about it, DA has been an annual franchise. DA:O, then Awakening, and now DA2. Sound like EA Sports? Need for Speed?

How does a developer that practically worked in secret on a game as vast as DA change immediately to pumping out new content every year? Answer: It doesn't. At least not without a gun to its head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least we still have Bethesda and Blizzard who put out games on their time frame, not under the boot of a company like EA.