Thread: Database of Video Game OST?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Database of Video Game OST?

One part of my collection I really want to bulk out is the physical OST CD collection of my favourite games, but I can't find anywhere that has kept track of what games received a OST release.

I'm guessing a large portion of games did in Japan, fewer in NA and even less in Europe.

These days just about every game seems to have one but years ago I'm guessing it was less common.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There are actually still tons of games that don't get soundtracks. Even big name stuff like Smash Bros. Brawl which got so much attention for it's insanely huge line-up of amazing composers.

Anyway, yeah, there's definitely a database: http://vgmdb.net/

I think you may have difficulty "bulking out" your OST collection, though. Assuming you're buying legit, buying OSTs can be very expensive, and unlike games which almost always get cheaper later on, OSTs often increase in price from their MSRP as they get older and out-of-print. And then there's the problem of just plain finding some of them. Other than the most common stuff like Final Fantasy, many older OSTs become very difficult to locate for sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I've always enjoyed video game soundtracks and would love to get more but they are just too expensive. About maybe 6 months ago there was a JP copy of Super Mario 64 soundtrack on eBay that went for around $80 and wasn't even sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    There are actually still tons of games that don't get soundtracks. Even big name stuff like Smash Bros. Brawl which got so much attention for it's insanely huge line-up of amazing composers.
    As far as the soundtrack for brawl I downloaded it somewhere and I shit you not the entire thing includes over 300 tracks (16 hours worth). I imagine that's why it never saw the light of day.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's not too terribly unusual for an old Nintendo soundtrack. They're notorious for either not releasing a soundtrack at all for a game or releasing one in limited quantities and never reprinting, even if the demand is still there. They just don't understand the market for video game music. Seems a tad high for Super Mario 64, but I haven't kept up with that one since buying it myself a few years back for real cheap.

As for Brawl, I could totally see them releasing some pricey box set and still have all the VGM collectors swarming over it. Heck, I don't even care about the game much and I'd still be interested since an OST with Sakuraba, Shimomura, Hayama, Koshiro, Iwadare, Tanaka, Mitsuda, etc. is an absolute dream team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

Anyway, yeah, there's definitely a database: http://vgmdb.net/

I think you may have difficulty "bulking out" your OST collection, though. Assuming you're buying legit, buying OSTs can be very expensive, and unlike games which almost always get cheaper later on, OSTs often increase in price from their MSRP as they get older and out-of-print. And then there's the problem of just plain finding some of them. Other than the most common stuff like Final Fantasy, many older OSTs become very difficult to locate for sale.
    Ah thanks! It's good to have database of official releases.

Yeah I've already been perusing some of the ones I want on Ebay and of the few that are there, and most of them cost the same as a brand new game. So it won't be cheap to buy any. Then again the amount I've spent on crap games when bought new, it won't feel so bad if/when I do buy them.

I may just end up copying the soundtracks to a blank CD and then printing off the covers/inlays for a regular case. Of course then they aren't official.... and that would annoy me!

I also wish that companies would recognise there is a market for this, especially considering that CD's cost next to nothing to produce and the music is already there available. At least more companies (Well Atlus mainly) are including them as pre-order bonuses. One bonus item actually worth it.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Be careful on eBay, they're bootlegs more often than not, and some of those jerks will even charge $30+ for their bootlegs, making you think that they're legit (since bootlegs are usually priced much lower than official albums).

There are a few sites you can count on to always sell legit. I recommend Cocoebiz, Otaku.com, and Play-Asia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the sites! Yeah I was thinking that as I looked at Ebay. That would be incredibly annoying, especially at those prices.

I found the Monster Hunter Tri soundtrack for £10 inc. shipping so there's a good start!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The VGMdb forum is filled with people who know where to get the legit soundtracks on eBay. Be sure to ask them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic