Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV for retro gaming?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TV for retro gaming?

Hi, I'm new to this forum but it seems the best place to ask. I recently have developed an interest in reliving my childhood by reinvesting in classic console gaming. However, I understand that modern lcd televisions create input lag, ghosting, and reduced image quality from scaling / de-interlacing and any number of other negative side-effects.

I currently have access to both a HD LCD, SD LCD, HD Plasma, and of the greatest interest a Sony KV-30HS420 30-Inch FD Trinitron WEGA. The Trinitron is what I've been using for gaming on my cube / ps2 / xbox and it seems to work pretty well. What I'm wondering is if anybody has any experience or recommendations as to how well this television would handle older consoles such as the nes / snes / n64 / genesis / etc.

I'm not really interested personally in any of the older consoles such as the magnavox odyssey (even though I enjoyed playing it and I might want one in the future).

In a nutshell I'm asking how well this TV will preform regarding image quality, and input lag on those older systems such as the nes. I hope this is the most appropriate forum and somebody is able to give me some guidance. Thanks in advance

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you want the real experience, go to a local goodwill or other donation center and pick up a nice 80's wood panelled CRT television for 10 bucks. I still say CRT is the best picture for any system that was made in the era when all we had were CRT televisions. LCD televisions look terrible!
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 03-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just buy yourself a CRT television and reap the results of nostalgia.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    Just buy yourself a CRT television and reap the results of nostalgia.
    The Sony Trinitron I mentioned is a CRT but it's a HD CRT. I was wondering how much of a difference it would be between a 1080i and a 480i tv in terms of quality and input lag because it would have to upscale the image. However my tv supports both native progressive 480p and 1080i so it wouldn't have to de-interlace.

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    if you want the real experience, go to a local goodwill or other donation center and pick up a nice 80's wood panelled CRT television for 10 bucks. I still say CRT is the best picture for any system that was made in the era when all we had were CRT televisions. LCD televisions look terrible!
    I didn't even realize you could get tvs at goodwill. 0_o

Would picking up a standard def old school crt work better than just using my HD CRT?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a 27" inch sony wega. bar none the crispest image for a CRT. its got s video compnent and composite. slap a switcher on and you are in business. go on craigslist for a good deal, sometimes people are just giving them away.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you haven't noticed any lag or picture quality issues with the CRT Wega with those last gen systems, older consoles should be just fine. If there is an issue, the TV should have an option in the on screen menu to turn off upscaling (the setting might go by some other name like DRC) Try it out and see if there's any noticeable difference.

Be sure to get s-video cables for the old consoles that support it (SNES, N64) Genesis looks amazing too if you can get someone to mod the system with an s-video jack.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas View Post
    If you haven't noticed any lag or picture quality issues with the CRT Wega with those last gen systems, older consoles should be just fine. If there is an issue, the TV should have an option in the on screen menu to turn off upscaling (the setting might go by some other name like DRC) Try it out and see if there's any noticeable difference.

Be sure to get s-video cables for the old consoles that support it (SNES, N64) Genesis looks amazing too if you can get someone to mod the system with an s-video jack.
    Based on suggestions in this thread I'm actually looking at purchasing a 27 inch trinitron wega off craig's list for $50

My current HDTV works fine for last gen consoles and therefore handles 480i upscaling fine, I'm just worried about how it will handle things like 240p on the snes.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

other then my plasma 42 inch i have a old skool JC Penny (yes i said JC Penny the place where you buy clothes) color tv from the early 80s perfect for NES, Master System, and Atari goodness!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have the HD version of the wega. The SD one is problably better anyway for older systems. I just need an appropriate stereo reciever so I can hook up some nice speakers. I'm having a hard time finding a new one that still takes svideo at a reasonable price.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    i have a 27" inch sony wega. bar none the crispest image for a CRT. its got s video compnent and composite. slap a switcher on and you are in business. go on craigslist for a good deal, sometimes people are just giving them away.
    By a splitter do you mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-2875...110926&sr=1-20

If so I already have one I'm using. I'm going to be picking up my 27 inch today and it sounds great, I'm just hoping I won't have problems getting it home and up the stairs because it weighs 60 pounds

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yup, that kind of splitter will work perfectly. 60 lbs? pshhh it weighs 103 according to the manual. grab someone to help you cause the weight is all at the front.

*remember to lift with your legs lol*
    Last edited by cynicalhat; 03-14-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yup, that kind of splitter will work perfectly. 60 lbs? pshhh it weighs 103 according to the manual. grab someone to help you cause the weight is all at the front.

*remember to lift with your legs lol*
    Yeah I checked the manual later and noticed the weight... it's a bit worrying to be honest. I don't think I'm going to be able to do this by myself and the only other person around who could help is my mother who is getting up there in years (and I don't want to break her).

I mean I want the tv but am I really going to even get this thing up some stairs without movers?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can do it, even if its a few stairs at a time. grab it from the font (display side) and get your hands around the lower sides and keep your back as straight as possible. put it on the floor and squat. grab around the lower sides and try to stand a bit. use your legs NOT your arms/back. take it up a stair or three and put it back down and rest for a a few seconds. repeat till its up the stairs. flex your stomach muscles for added stability.

*if your back hurts, STOP!*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can do it, even if its a few stairs at a time. grab it from the font (display side) and get your hands around the lower sides and keep your back as straight as possible. put it on the floor and squat. grab around the lower sides and try to stand a bit. use your legs NOT your arms/back. take it up a stair or three and put it back down and rest for a a few seconds. repeat till its up the stairs. flex your stomach muscles for added stability.

*if your back hurts, STOP!*
    What I'm thinking I'm going to do is tell the man I'm purchasing it from that I really don't feel I'm going to be able to move it up the stairs by myself nor am I willing to hire movers to get it done. I'm going to ask him how much I would have to pay him extra to ride with me to my house and help carry it up the stairs. If he's unwilling or wants more than an additional $50 to carry it (the TV is $50 to begin with) I'll probably just call off the purchase.

I'm a scrawny guy and I don't feel confident in my own abilities to move it up stairs and my parents (who I'm living with at the moment because I'm obviously very successful in life ) are really too old to help.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

look in the basement or something for a two wheeled dolly or something to give you leverage. 103 lbs isnt thaaaat much. when i got my tv in 2004 i got it up and i was scrawny as all heck also. i was just determined to get that thing up stairs cause my old tv broke.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

ya know its funny i was at a super market that deals with bulk called BJ's (its like COSTCO) and i remember seeing a 20 dollar fold up dollie that folds up into the size of a brief case and can hold up to 180 pounds.. .not that helps your situation really lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This all the way. I also have a 27" Sony Wega with a switcher that has component/svideo/composite. I'm sure you can pick one up for next to nothing now. They look great. I think you're making the right decision.

Also, I might suggest searching for a good switcher on CL also. I picked mine up for $15 bucks. It has space for 7 consoles, etc. It also has a remote to switch between the inputs and a programmable LCD screen that says what system you've switched to.
    Last edited by Darko; 03-14-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

look in the basement or something for a two wheeled dolly or something to give you leverage. 103 lbs isnt thaaaat much. when i got my tv in 2004 i got it up and i was scrawny as all heck also. i was just determined to get that thing up stairs cause my old tv broke.
    Right now I've got two different potential offers lined up for the same TV, the 27 inch SD Wega. I'm a little worried too because the only stand I have not in use is only 28 inches across while the TV is close to 31

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    ya know its funny i was at a super market that deals with bulk called BJ's (its like COSTCO) and i remember seeing a 20 dollar fold up dollie that folds up into the size of a brief case and can hold up to 180 pounds.. .not that helps your situation really lol
    I'm basically going to see if either of the sellers are willing to help move it up the stairs for <$50 and if they aren't I may look at the dollie. The other problem is that I'm not totally financially independent because I'm living in my parents house while I finish up college and they can't understand why I would want an old SD CRT when I already have a HD plasma at my disposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it's not ideal, you might look for a 20"-24" set for about $20-$30. You can still play the games you want without worrying about weight. I have a 20" Sony that I bought randomly one day and it actually got the job done really well. Buy something nice and big when you get a place of your own and have plenty of room for it. I have a 40-something inch Magnavox that would be awesome to play older games on...but it weighs at LEAST 150-200lbs. It's at my parent's house because there is NO WAY IN HELL that I'm going to move it until I find a place for it to sit for YEARS.
    Last edited by Darko; 03-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    While it's not ideal, you might look for a 20"-24" set for about $20-$30. You can still play the games you want without worrying about weight. I have a 20" Sony that I bought randomly one day and it actually got the job done really well. Buy something nice and big when you get a place of your own and have plenty of room for it. I have a 40-something inch Magnavox that would be awesome to play older games on...but it weighs at LEAST 150-200lbs. It's at my parent's house because there is NO WAY IN HELL that I'm going to move it until I find a place for it to sit for YEARS.
    The way you feel about the Magnavox is kind of the situation already with our 150 pound 36 inch HD Wega. My Dad's away on business right now but I know that when he gets back he's going to be pissed because he won't understand why I need another TV, combined with the fact it's another bulky thing taking up room (in his eyes). I plan on taking both when I move out permanently but I'll be hiring movers then.