Thread: TV for retro gaming?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    *snip
    If it's 60hz I'm hoping it doesn't cause me problems because of my headaches. I can't use a CRT computer monitor at 60hz or the flicker just kills me. Although I will admit the TV does not look as flickery as a 60hz CRT monitor at least.

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    The shimmer around the borders of objects sounds like "dot crawl" to me. This is normal for a composite connection and upgrading to an s-video connection should solve the problem.
    Thank you so very much. I read the Wikipedia article and it describes my problem perfectly. I'm confident now that my TV is fine, I'm just getting dot crawl and color bleed from the composite video.

As far as cabling goes I'm just using the standard composite cables that came with the gamecube. I have a bit of a problem because I have two gamecubes a dol-001 that supports component and a dol-101 which does not. The dol-001 is broken so I'm going to have to try and figure something out here. I may end up just paying nintendo to repair one.

I would just substitute with a wii but I'm planning to run the wii on a EDTV I own, and I still want to be able to use the gameboy player.

edit: I just realized I can use s-video cables out of the analog port.
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 03-19-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody here have any recommendations for s-vdieo cables for my gamecube, and ps2? Also component cables for the xbox (the xbox is for another TV). It's basically impossible to find first party connectors so I was wondering if you know of any good third party cables.

The last thing I want is to make the situation worse, or introduce video lag. Getting away from video lag is why I bought this dang tv in the first place!

Edit I've always been sketched out by third party cables.

Will this work well or do you have any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-N64-S...0553417&sr=1-1

edit: I'll just let this thread die since all my questions about the TV have been answered and I'll start another.
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 03-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Running through s-video helped so much, completely eliminated the dot crawl. I still notice on very very small text though it isn't totally clear like the composite screenshot earlier in the thread. You can periodically notice an effect by staring at it which I think is some sort of artifact from the scanlines.

As I said I'm sensitive to this and haven't used non-progressive standard def in over 8 years.

What I'm seeing is had to desribe, it's almost like a black line periodically goes through which like I said is probably just the scanlines. But if it's not a small texture I don't notice a thing, it's only on really small text. Does everything sound normal for my wega?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[ignore this post. It appears an earlier thread about my questions was answered and I just didn't see it]
    I have a sig?

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking on craigslist I found a 27" Sony Wega 2005 energy star model. Does anybody know if this model has any difference in picture quality compared to previous models?
    Just my two coins.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordandavid View Post
    Looking on craigslist I found a 27" Sony Wega 2005 energy star model. Does anybody know if this model has any difference in picture quality compared to previous models?
    Ugh lately my TV has taken to doing this effect where the whole image will kind of shimmer or shake for about a minute and it has been doing it about once an hour. The effect lasts for about 10 seconds but I'm worried that it means it's dying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I had a similar model for many years. In terms of picture quality you truly got out what you put in honestly.

That said Laserdiscs looked pretty damned good on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sooo it might be a little weaker or wear out more over time?? I'm just asking because I'm assuming the energy star model might be "underpowered" or what have you.

And thanks everybody for your patience in putting up with my annoying nit-picking questions. I'm just interested in investing (a mere ~$50) in the best retro gaming tv and some s-video cables once and for all to play my N64 and SNES at their absolute graphic peak. I'm not a graphics junkie, I would just like my games to look (and possibly sound) as good as they possibly can.
    Last edited by jordandavid; 03-28-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Just my two coins.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sooo it might be a little weaker or wear out more over time?? I'm just asking because I'm assuming the energy star model might be "underpowered" or what have you.

And thanks everybody for your patience in putting up with my annoying nit-picking questions. I'm just interested in investing (a mere ~$50) in the best retro gaming tv and some s-video cables once and for all to play my N64 and SNES at their absolute graphic peak. I'm not a graphics junkie, I would just like my games to look (and possibly sound) as good as they possibly can.
    I'm in the exact same boat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

It's my understanding that being of "Energy Star" compliance was far more a label to slap on the box to garner approval of economics and boastfulness. IIRC the specs the Energy Star people demanded could be manipulated in interesting ways somewhat like the marketing department does for computer monitors and TVs in general.

In all likely hood the fact it's an Energy Star complaint screen won't affect it's performance. For sound though I always recommend you use a separate stereo system, nothing ever sounds good built into a TV.

Now if you wanted to be REALLY anally retentive you could try to find one of the handful of SCART capable TVs in the US and RGB mod every console you have. There is a certain type of screen used in the broadcasting industry that readily accepts RGB but the name of it escapes me at the moment. Check out an arcade screen then go look at s-video or composite, you'll never look at screens quite the same way again and will forever have SCART envy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    Now if you wanted to be REALLY anally retentive you could try to find one of the handful of SCART capable TVs in the US and RGB mod every console you have. There is a certain type of screen used in the broadcasting industry that readily accepts RGB but the name of it escapes me at the moment. Check out an arcade screen then go look at s-video or composite, you'll never look at screens quite the same way again and will forever have SCART envy.
    I've looked into RGB modding my 64, but it requires a specific model #, and I've looked into the results of some amateur RGB modding attemps and the majority seem to have some kind of dim screen/flashing problem or something.

Eh emm, I wrote that, googled RGB mod N64 really quick, and found this: http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbn64.htm
    Seems easy enough. Might try it some time if I get another 64.
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone have any opinions of Sony's KV-36FS100 Trinitron? Can get a 27" model for next to nothing as a backup. First possibly good deal I've seen around here for a while and that's about as heavy as I care to go.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

they are ok, not the greatest, I feel that totally flat tubed CRTs don't look quite right, sony's older curved Trinitrons look better to me.
    the model number you mention seems to be 36" but you say you don't want to go bigger than 27" so which is it?

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-we...36fs100/specs/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My N64 Is Fine On My Living Room Samsung TV...