Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV for retro gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ninjamohawk

Any CRT with a bubbled-out screen should look accurate. I use a Sylvania TV from 1992. Looks superb.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the base of the 27inch wega is only 26 inches wide(needed for it to sit on) and speaker to speaker its 30 and a quarter

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjamohawk View Post
    Any CRT with a bubbled-out screen should look accurate. I use a Sylvania TV from 1992. Looks superb.
    Do you mean a non-flat screen? The Wega I'm getting is flatscreen. The only downside I've heard about flatscreen tvs is that older light gun games do not work so well, however that is not of great concern to me. I would rather have better picture quality for the majority of my games and sacrifice the ability to duck hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    the base of the 27inch wega is only 26 inches wide(needed for it to sit on) and speaker to speaker its 30 and a quarter
    Thanks for the information, that's really good to know. It should only be hanging off the back of the stand less than half an inch and if it's anything like my other Wega that won't be a problem.

The man I'm buying the TV from said he would drive it to my house and help me get it up the stairs for an extra $10 but I'm thinking of giving him a $20 instead for his efforts. It is a 20 minute drive after all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its only like 16-17 inches deep. but light gun games work as intended on this "flat screen" tv. they just dont work on lcds and plasmas.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its only like 16-17 inches deep. but light gun games work as intended on this "flat screen" tv. they just dont work on lcds and plasmas.
    That's even better, thanks for the info again.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you're welcome =)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I would go with a newer flat CRT with S-Video and component inputs. Just make sure it isn't 100/120Hz otherwise light guns won't work.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm confused... there are several 32" SONY WEGA tvs on craigslist in my area, but everyone is talking about the 27", is the 27" the largest non-HD WEGA made?
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordandavid View Post
    I'm confused... there are several 32" SONY WEGA tvs on craigslist in my area, but everyone is talking about the 27", is the 27" the largest non-HD WEGA made?
    No, they made a 32" as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 32" is just too dang heavy.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just really interested because I'm still gaming on like a 23" magnavox with no A/V or S-Video input, just cable. I'm sick of it, and there are several Sony WEGAs on craigslist in my area

Edited:

So the FD = non-HD?, I'm seriously puzzled

And I'm assuming the 27" is also recommended because it is the most manageable size/weight while retaining a large crisp picture?
    Last edited by jordandavid; 11-30-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    Just my two coins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so does the name "Trinitron" automatically denote the HD version or could it still be either?

I'm just really interested because I'm still gaming on like a 23" magnavox with no A/V or S-Video input, just cable. I'm sick of it, and there are several Sony WEGAs on craigsllist in my area

Edited:

So the FD = non-HD, I'm seriously puzzled

And I'm assuming the 27" is also recommended because it is the most manageable size/weight while retaining a large crisp picture?
    I have the 27" because it's not too big and not too small. It's still heavy and awkward to move, but it's much easier than the larger sets. Mine is a Trinitron Wega. Trinitron refers to a technology used by Sony to produce a brighter picture. It doesn't have anything to do with HD. To my knowledge there is no 4:3 tube set that was ever made by Sony that is HD (above 480p that is). I could be wrong, but I've never heard of one. They did, of course, make several widescreen tube sets which I would not recommend using for playing older games.

In my opinion Sony produced some of the best tube TVs ever made in the late 90's and early 2000s. Mine is pushing 10 years old and has never had a single issue. Magnavox and Panasonic also made really great products around that time, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find one in the size/price range you're looking for.
    Last edited by Darko; 03-15-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the 32' weighs like 300+ lbs. good luck finding a stand to put it on that wont crumble under the weight. the wega was a trinitron on crack, outstanding image quality. i do believe that sony made decent sized tube HD TVs, but again... the weight was ridiculous. CRTs produce the most accurate colors, and handle varying resolutions much better tan the stretching and pulling of todays LCDs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the 32' weighs like 300+ lbs. good luck finding a stand to put it on that wont crumble under the weight. the wega was a trinitron on crack, outstanding image quality. i do believe that sony made decent sized tube HD TVs, but again... the weight was ridiculous. CRTs produce the most accurate colors, and handle varying resolutions much better tan the stretching and pulling of todays LCDs.
    So I got my 27 inch now in the same room as my 32HD both Wegas

Downside is while the picture quality looks decent on the 27 inch, it's nowhere near as good as the 32HD because of scan lines. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I haven't used a SD CRT in about 8 years, but should the scanlines really be this prominent?

Oh and I almost dropped it trying to carry it in the house even though another guy was helping me. I take meds for my migraines and one of the side effects is muscle weakness so I'm still learning my limits. I felt totally fine carrying the tv one minute, but when I tried to step up to go inside I collapsed but managed to hold the TV from hitting the floor.

The nice gentleman who delivered the TV to my house also carried it up the stairs for me when I was unable so I tipped him an extra $15 over what we agreed. Currently I only own more modern systems such as the gamecube and when I tested the gamecube, while the image quality wasn't bad, once again I noticed very prominent scanlines. Is this normal behaviour? It looks better on my hd even upscaled as a result because on the 32HD Wega you can't even see the scanlines.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    Maybe I'm just spoiled because I haven't used a SD CRT in about 8 years, but should the scanlines really be this prominent?
    Yes, the difference is very noticeable when compared side by side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas View Post
    I can second that. I have a 46" Plasma sitting right next to the 27" Wega.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas View Post
    Well that sucks

I'm not sure if I should keep my gamecube on the old HD or the new SD. I never really noticed any input lag on the old HD anyway, but maybe that's just because I got used to it. Then again I'm very sensitive to input lag on a computer so I don't know.

However, I hooked up my ps2 to the SD TV and popped in dino crisis (a ps1) game and I don't know if it is just psychological and a placebo or not, but I thought it looked a hell of a lot better. I also noticed that I was able to corner and move my character with much more ease. The first time I played through that game on the HD I was constantly running into walls.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    Well that sucks

I'm not sure if I should keep my gamecube on the old HD or the new SD. I never really noticed any input lag on the old HD anyway, but maybe that's just because I got used to it. Then again I'm very sensitive to input lag on a computer so I don't know.

However, I hooked up my ps2 to the SD TV and popped in dino crisis (a ps1) game and I don't know if it is just psychological and a placebo or not, but I thought it looked a hell of a lot better. I also noticed that I was able to corner and move my character with much more ease. The first time I played through that game on the HD I was constantly running into walls.
    That's good old crappy scaling, you can see it in action while watching a news ticker that's displayed in SD on an HD display. The words come in all slow and wide near the side and get skinny and faster as they approach the center of the screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ninjamohawk

I really wish I still had our Trinitron from when I was a little kid. It was massive and heavy as all crock but man did it look gorgeous.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjamohawk View Post
    I really wish I still had our Trinitron from when I was a little kid. It was massive and heavy as all crock but man did it look gorgeous.
    But the scanlines man... dem scanlines

Then again I've just checked tv on it and modern consoles not any oldschool consoles yet which is what I bought it for.