Thread: Is this normal for PS2s?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Is this normal for PS2s?

So I got a PS2 2-3 months ago, and have been really enjoying it, but I've noticed some quirky behavior. Its annoying, and to an extent worrisome, however for the most part I've been able to play games on it just fine.

The behaviors I've noticed are:

Getting hung on sounds - That is, sometimes a sound effect will continually loop even when the object causing said sound is no longer in range, or indeed even in the current area. For example: sounds of jet turbines or whatever will continually loop in Armored Core 2 even when I go back to the menu or start a new mission. I've only noticed this happening with Armored Core 2 and Eternal Ring so it may be something to do with how From Software codes their games.

Playing seamlessly, then needing to take a huge loading break right in the middle of action. For example, I played Metal Gear Solid just fine, got to the sequence after you first meet Meryl where you have to blow away the guards. The first two times, the guards killed me, so I continued, crawled under the bed to get the ration, was standing up... and suddenly the game pauses and a "loading" icon appears in the corner. The PS2 makes a lot of noise for anywhere from thirty seconds to five minutes, then the game resumes as normal.

Something like this has happened at least once in every PS2 game I've put in, and its always during something normal where you don't expect huge loading times, such as opening an item inventory in King's Field IV or Eternal Ring or sometimes when I'm just running around in Shadow of the Colossus. With some of these games, it happens only once or twice throughout the whole time I'm playing the game, while with others it seems to happen at least once every time I turn the game on.

Shadow of the Colossus' graphics seem kind of glitchy - This could just be the game, but I'll notice that, instead of being seamless, objects in the distance will just "pop in." Also, the brightness is inconsistent. I'll be in a dimly-lit cave, and the next second there's sunlight everywhere. One instance happened just now which I'm sure was a glitch, when the wall and floor textures of the space I was in simply disappeared (I could still see distant objects just fine). Either Wander found some really good mushrooms, or...

Now that I've described the symptoms, here's the specs of the console:

PS2, slimline in the SPCH-75000X line. It has a Matrix Infinity modchip.

And here's the games and their condition:

Armored Core 2 - been through at least one buffer.

Eternal Ring - Almost brand-new, been cleaned with a soft cloth.

King's Field: The Ancient City - Buffered once.

Metal Gear Solid - (Okay, so its actually a PS1 game, but still). Version from the collection. Seems basically brand-new.

(I haven't tested MGS2 yet)

Shadow of the Colossus - Game seemed almost-new when I bought it (note that its the original, not the Greatest Hits release), but I've noticed a ring appearing near the outer edge, and this ring seems to be getting bigger.

----

So there's the facts as they stand, now: should I just get a new PS2 (and try to find a non-modchip way to play my imports, which I do have a collection of), or are all these things normal and I shouldn't worry about it?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    For example, I played Metal Gear Solid just fine, got to the sequence after you first meet Meryl where you have to blow away the guards. The first two times, the guards killed me, so I continued, crawled under the bed to get the ration, was standing up... and suddenly the game pauses and a "loading" icon appears in the corner. The PS2 makes a lot of noise for anywhere from thirty seconds to five minutes, then the game resumes as normal.
    Not sure if there's a compatibility issue with MGS, but the PS2 making a loud noise most certainly does not sound normal. My fat PS2 went through hell and back and I've never heard it make any kind of noise before.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mayhaps the lens of the laser needs a good cleaning and gears need a good lubing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's just PS1 discs, or just some other type of disc, it's the lense laser burning out. I have fixed plenty of original PS2s with this issue and never found one for slim PS2s.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think it may be a problem with your PS2.

I'm a pretty big AC fan and none of the AC games have kept repeating sounds. With Shadow of the Colossus I'm pretty sure I've never experienced any pop in, but it is an open world game so there's always the possibility. Same with King's Field.

I will say that some games that are open world on the PS2 can have reduced frame rate because of silent loading(SotC and Blood Omen 2) or major frame rate issues when it's loading the next part in an area without giving a loading screen or having an elevator type cutscene(Blood Omen 2.) I can say that SotC is one you listed that the frame rate while running lower, didn't have any major frame rate issues.

Do you know anyone who could lend you a PS2 to check out and see if you're having the same issue?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it sounds like the ps2 is having issues loading things in a timely fashion or loading them incorrectly. Take the unit apart, there are many tutorials on the internet. take the cd drive assembly out of the unit and clean the rails and the little thing that looks like a glorified screw. wipe them down using a clean rag being careful not to leave any foreign material. apply some lithium grease to the drive rails and screw looking deal (i use a qtip to apply). move the laser assembly up and down the rail 2 or so times. put the whole system back together. since this is a slim line model you can clean the lens with a tip and (i use windex) cleaner once its all back in place. grab a long CD that you don't care much about. turn the unit back on and play the cd and quickly scroll through the tracks so that the laser assembly moves up and down the rails. wipe off any grease that may have splattered (this is why you take a cd you dont care much about). then call it a day. i have revived many cd/DVD drives with this manner.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Who installed your mod chip?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I don't know. It was modded when I bought it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

A bit of an update: I was looking at it and I noticed that the little gold band behind the laser lens was creased a little bit. Could this possibly cause my problems?

Amazon has brand-new PS2s for $99.99 and I think I'm gonna grab one for comparative purposes and just in case this one goes bust on me. If that happens, I'm gonna look for a soft-mod way to play imports.

EDIT: Also, cleaned the PS2 (but only insofar as it didn't require disassembly--I don't trust myself with that). Seems to play fine, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've also noticed though that it'll lose the read on disks if I so much as TOUCH the lid. Again, not sure if that's normal or not.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 03-15-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

None of what you've described is normal, including disc read issues when touching the lid. Something's wrong with that system.