Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Why does MAME suck so bad?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what I don't like about MAME? 1 word: ACCURACY. I emulate a lot of side-scrolling and vertically-scrolling Shoot-em-Ups in MAME(and some 3D rail shooters), and I've compared MAME to the original arcade boards and realized I'm not getting the proper experience with MAME. With the games I emulate, it's so horribly off it makes me sick. Konami games are the most affected, and I will list some of them:

-Gradius/Nemesis: In the newest releases of MAME, the colors are WAY too bright, and in all releases, the volume balance between the different sound chips is wrong, the music plays too fast and generally sounds WAY off compared to the original board.
    -Salamander/Life Force: Volume balance is, again, quite a bit off, the Stereo sound is reversed, the music plays WAY too slowly and any sound produced by the emulated VLM5030 is almost completely wrong
    -Gradius II/Vulcan Venture: Volume balance problems, music is too slow, START screen seems to disappear too soon, emulated uPD7759 seems off
    -Gradius IV: Severe performance issues, music is too slow
    -Salamander 2: NUMEROUS graphcial errors, recent versions of MAME have major speed issues with this game, sound effects are missing extra echo/reverb effects
    -Super Contra: Incorrect volume balance, music is considerably slower than on the original board
    -TwinBee: MAJOR volume balance issues, missing sound filters

Other problem games:

-After Burner II: Emulated YM2151 produces incorrect notes
    -1942: Sounds off
    -Arkanoid: Has issues since the AY-3-8910/YM2149 core was updated
    -Thunder Force AC: Flaws with the emulated uPD7759 and YM3438, noticeable volume balance issues, music is a bit too fast
    -Raiden and Zero Wing: Emulated YM3812 leaves a bit to be desired

I've actually reported many of the issues with the Konami games listed to MAME Testers, and what have they done about them? ZERO! Absolutely nothing. So the hell with that, for use on a modern Windows XP/Vista/7 computer, I compiled my own modified version of MAMEUI v0.138u1 and will not upgrade to any newer versions of MAME until the MAME team improves on the games I like which are far from perfect.

Along with that, I've got an older computer running MAME for MS-DOS v0.36 and v0.57, both versions which I use exclusively for games using a Yamaha YM3812 for sound. If you recall, versions of MAME prior to v0.60 can make use of Yamaha YM3812s and Yamaha YMF262s on older ISA sound cards(the early SoundBlaster sound cards come to mind) for 100% authentic sound off those games. With that in mind, I set up the computer with a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 sound card(contains a YMF262, which is backwards-compatible with the YM3812) and have set up both versions of MAME to use the YMF262 on the SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 rather than MAME's emulated YM3812/YMF262 depending on the game. And I will never upgrade any version of MAME until the MAME team straightens things out with the problem games I listed.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    You know what I don't like about MAME? 1 word: ACCURACY. I emulate a lot of side-scrolling and vertically-scrolling Shoot-em-Ups in MAME(and some 3D rail shooters), and I've compared MAME to the original arcade boards and realized I'm not getting the proper experience with MAME. With the games I emulate, it's so horribly off it makes me sick. Konami games are the most affected, and I will list some of them:

-Gradius/Nemesis: In the newest releases of MAME, the colors are WAY too bright, and in all releases, the volume balance between the different sound chips is wrong, the music plays too fast and generally sounds WAY off compared to the original board.
    -Salamander/Life Force: Volume balance is, again, quite a bit off, the Stereo sound is reversed, the music plays WAY too slowly and any sound produced by the emulated VLM5030 is almost completely wrong
    -Gradius II/Vulcan Venture: Volume balance problems, music is too slow, START screen seems to disappear too soon, emulated uPD7759 seems off
    -Gradius IV: Severe performance issues, music is too slow
    -Salamander 2: NUMEROUS graphcial errors, recent versions of MAME have major speed issues with this game, sound effects are missing extra echo/reverb effects
    -Super Contra: Incorrect volume balance, music is considerably slower than on the original board
    -TwinBee: MAJOR volume balance issues, missing sound filters

Other problem games:

-After Burner II: Emulated YM2151 produces incorrect notes
    -1942: Sounds off
    -Arkanoid: Has issues since the AY-3-8910/YM2149 core was updated
    -Thunder Force AC: Flaws with the emulated uPD7759 and YM3438, noticeable volume balance issues, music is a bit too fast
    -Raiden and Zero Wing: Emulated YM3812 leaves a bit to be desired

I've actually reported many of the issues with the Konami games listed to MAME Testers, and what have they done about them? ZERO! Absolutely nothing. So the hell with that, for use on a modern Windows XP/Vista/7 computer, I compiled my own modified version of MAMEUI v0.138u1 and will not upgrade to any newer versions of MAME until the MAME team improves on the games I like which are far from perfect.

Along with that, I've got an older computer running MAME for MS-DOS v0.36 and v0.57, both versions which I use exclusively for games using a Yamaha YM3812 for sound. If you recall, versions of MAME prior to v0.60 can make use of Yamaha YM3812s and Yamaha YMF262s on older ISA sound cards(the early SoundBlaster sound cards come to mind) for 100% authentic sound off those games. With that in mind, I set up the computer with a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 sound card(contains a YMF262, which is backwards-compatible with the YM3812) and have set up both versions of MAME to use the YMF262 on the SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 rather than MAME's emulated YM3812/YMF262 depending on the game. And I will never upgrade any version of MAME until the MAME team straightens things out with the problem games I listed.
    ... So wait.

You've compiled your own version of MAME, even hacked it to use external hardware, and yet you don't submit the needed patches to fix those problems?

Ah. Aah. I think I just had a small stroke. I'm gonna go lie down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The three weeks thing is just because of a lack of time - we could probably figure it out in a few hours... but since this is all just a temp machine for fun distraction keeps getting in the way.

"Oooh I wanna play Elevator Action 2 again!"

That plus we're using a customized mini-xp and X-Arcade and just generally doing weird stuff.

On my home machine with just plain MAME it took me about 5 minutes, and most of that was moving roms around and changing an INI or two :P
    Last edited by skaar; 03-19-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... So wait.

You've compiled your own version of MAME, even hacked it to use external hardware, and yet you don't submit the needed patches to fix those problems?

Ah. Aah. I think I just had a small stroke. I'm gonna go lie down.
    I didn't hack MAME to use external hardware in any way. Read this carefully:

If you recall, versions of MAME prior to v0.60 can make use of Yamaha YM3812s and Yamaha YMF262s on older ISA sound cards(the early SoundBlaster sound cards come to mind) for 100% authentic sound off those games.
    Those versions of MAME WERE ALREADY DEVELOPED for use with old sound cards containing Yamaha YMF262s and YM3812s. I did not modify MAME v0.138u1 to work with those sound cards. Here's what I've done for some of the games with problems:

-Gradius/Nemesis: Emulated Z80 runs at a lower frequency, emulated K005289 was modified to output sound at a higher pitch than the twin emulated AY-3-8910s, adjusted the volume balance to match the original arcade board, several parameters in the emulated AY-3-8910 were changed
    -Salamander/Life Force: My version of MAMEUI works with 3 different Yamaha YM2151 cores. Salamander and Life Force make use of one of the cloned and modified YM2151 cores to speed up the music, the emulated VLM5030 has had some parameters altered(but I can't figure out how to make the emulated VLM5030 sound just like the real chip), volume balance was adjusted to match the original arcade board
    -Gradius II/Vulcan Venture: This uses the second cloned YM2151 core as with the cloned core used in Salamander, the music is too fast. Volume balance was once again adjusted in accordance to the original arcade board and some heavy low-pass filtering was added to the emulated uPD7759
    -Super Contra: Uses the same cloned YM2151 core as Salamander, volume balance adjusted according to the original board
    -TwinBee: Volume balance adjusted according to the original board(filters are still missing, however)
    -1942: Sounds much closer to the original arcade board with the modified parameters in the emulated AY-3-8910
    -Thunder Force AC: Volume balance adjusted according to the original board

I would release the fixes, but since these are all hack-ish in nature, this is something the MAME team seems to frown upon. I don't know how any of the chips work. Most of my fixes all came together thanks to experimentation and dumb luck.

What's the MAME team's policy on modified versions of MAME? If I could release my modified version of MAME, I would.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

You can. Just release the source, and it's cool. They frown upon closed source versions of the emulator.

Also, have you tried -asking- MAMEDev if they would consider including your fixes? Who knows, maybe they'd at least take a look and offer pointers, or incorporate your fixes.

Edit: And of course, those are Konami games, their devs were always high on crack so emulation will be imperfect until someone fully reverse engineers their chips and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    Why does MAME suck so bad?
    because you're one of them spoiled brats taking everything for granted ?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra SA View Post
    because you're one of them spoiled brats taking everything for granted ?
    What a wonderful, insightful, post from a long time user. Truly a work of art and worthy of bumping this old topic.

I guess I should give this MAME thing another shot. I fully admit that I assumed, at the time, that it was an issue with the emulator and not an issue with me. All the other emulators I had been using (and keep in mind that I had -just- started experimenting with emulators) were drag and drop affairs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I downloaded mameuifx 0.152, this is easy to use and gives you the option to play split screen games such as Outrunners in full screen 1 player.
    I then downloaded the full mame 0.152 romset (35gb) all the ROMs played with no problems.
    Also found a lovely piece of software from emumovies that scanned all my ROMs and found the snap shots and artwork and then put them in the correct folders automatically.
    I use Maximus Arcade frontend as its easy to set up and looks very nice on the eye.
    You can launch loads of other emulators from Maximus Arcade.
    Last edited by mattmayatt; 01-30-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I respectfully disagree with the OP.
    I've been using iMAME on my iPad [now] Air for a couple of years now,
    before Apple spitcanned it, with precisely ZERO problems.

OK, so having to use iExplorer to get the ROMs in it,
    as opposed to easy-as-cake ["2010" reference! lol] iTunes File Sharing,
    is a unwanted extra step, but it only has to be done one time & then it's smooth sailing!
    "Technology Alone Is Not Enough.
    Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
    It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing."

STEVEN P. JOBS

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy smokes man! MAME is dead easy to set up and run.

Here's what I'd recommend (for playing games prior to 1994):

On the PC:
    - MAME32 v.035 on Windows XP

On the Mac:
    - MacMAME on OS9.x (time to fire up that old PPC Mac)

And if you want REALLY easy to use, try MAMEoX on a modded XBOX.

If I were to ask for just one thing in MAME, it would be a super-precise speed trottle for fine-tuning the game speed, per game).

Other than that, I think MAME is awesome and regard it is a GIFT that should be appreciated. We're luck it even exists at all.