Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why does MAME suck so bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Most of the complaints about MAME seem to stem from a lack of effort put forth by users to read, configure, or otherwise put effort into their setup.

What do you want for free?

My MAME setup isn't perfect and we've spent only a few hours going through configuring it... granted we're also trying to get Hyperspin going as well... but it's great when things finally get running the way I want them to. Hooray for victories!

Put some effort in and you'll be rewarded.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Most of the complaints about MAME seem to stem from a lack of effort put forth by users to read, configure, or otherwise put effort into their setup.

What do you want for free?

My MAME setup isn't perfect and we've spent only a few hours going through configuring it... granted we're also trying to get Hyperspin going as well... but it's great when things finally get running the way I want them to. Hooray for victories!

Put some effort in and you'll be rewarded.
    I spent the last 3 weeks working with hyperspin and I am loving it. I'm no expert but I've had to do a lot of trouble shooting on my own setup. Feel free to drop me a line if you get stuck.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why should it take three weeks to get a game running? I never have to spend three weeks to get a game running in Kega Fusion, Gens, NNNesterJ, Ootake, ZSNES, Applewin and other emulators.

People saying I can't complain because it's free want things to stay the same and never improve. So if MAME cost $1 I'd be able to complain all I want? I wouldn't be told that I suck when I say something else sucks?

You're not allowed to say something is bad unless you spent money on it?

For instance, if I visit a city and I see buildings in poor repair I'm not allowed to say, "wow, this place looks like shit" without first living there for a year and paying taxes?

If MAME is improved (made easier to use and more compatible out-of-the-box with more games) then arcade preservation will live on and more people will know about the classics in the future.
    Last edited by stalepie; 03-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also I already know about frontends. I've been using MAME for over ten years. I don't think it fixes the underlying issues in the code because it's just a frontend - the graphics on top (the menus, GUI). It does however add to the confusion and hassle a new user experiences when wondering about the best way to set up MAME. Does he choose this frontend? That frontend? This version of MAME? The one released 2 years ago during a certain month so that his romset is compatible with it?

For instance, some ROMs I just downloaded work in mame.exe but don't work in MAMEPPK. Why is this? I thought I had the new editions of both these programs, so I figured MAMEPPK was just a graphical version of the newest mame.

It's very disorganized.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    Why should it take three weeks to get a game running? I never have to spend three weeks to get a game running in Kega Fusion, Gens, NNNesterJ, Ootake, ZSNES, Applewin and other emulators.
    This is something I try to explain to people when they say they want to start owning arcade games and it actually also applies to console emulators vs. arcade emulators.

You never have to spend three weeks getting a game you just bought working on your NES, Genesis, Atari 2600, etc.

You can spend upwards of YEARS getting an arcade game you just picked up at auction or off craigslist running properly.

These are arcade games, junior. This is the big leagues. These games are infinitely complex and very poorly documented by their manufacturers. Most arcade games were expected to last for a few months and then be replaced by the next title. These were never intended to be consumer products and because of that you have to actually put some time into them to get entertainment back in return. Instant gratification is something for players, not operators. And if you're getting into arcade games, if you're going to own and maintain arcade games, then you're an operator! If you want to get heavy into MAME and have it do all the things you want it to do, exactly in the fashion you want it to perform, then guess what - you're an operator in almost the same sense.

But once you get everything set up right and take the time to understand why you have to do things certain ways, you'll find it way more rewarding and way more enjoyable than loading up a ROM of Super Mario World to play for 15 minutes before getting bored and moving onto the next game in the list.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 03-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Also I already know about frontends. I've been using MAME for over ten years. I don't think it fixes the underlying issues in the code because it's just a frontend - the graphics on top (the menus, GUI). It does however add to the confusion and hassle a new user experiences when wondering about the best way to set up MAME. Does he choose this frontend? That frontend? This version of MAME? The one released 2 years ago during a certain month so that his romset is compatible with it?

For instance, some ROMs I just downloaded work in mame.exe but don't work in MAMEPPK. Why is this? I thought I had the new editions of both these programs, so I figured MAMEPPK was just a graphical version of the newest mame.

It's very disorganized.
    There ARE no underlying issues in the emulator's code. You can see what's broken and what isn't at http://www.mametesters.org/ . All your issues seem to be caused by incorrect romsets, which they have no obligation to keep supporting.

And I'm saying this again, BLAME THE ROM SITES for not posting any updated romsets and insist on using sets from versions that would run fine on six year old machines.

If you want a frontend, and you want it built in, get MAMEUI. End of problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    This is something I try to explain to people when they say they want to start owning arcade games and it actually also applies to console emulators vs. arcade emulators.

You never have to spend three weeks getting a game you just bought working on your NES, Genesis, Atari 2600, etc.

You can spend upwards of YEARS getting an arcade game you just picked up at auction or off craigslist running properly.

These are arcade games, junior. This is the big leagues. These games are infinitely complex and very poorly documented by their manufacturers. Most arcade games were expected to last for a few months and then be replaced by the next title. These were never intended to be consumer products and because of that you have to actually put some time into them to get entertainment back in return. Instant gratification is something for players, not operators. And if you're getting into arcade games, if you're going to own and maintain arcade games, then you're an operator! If you want to get heavy into MAME and have it do all the things you want it to do, exactly in the fashion you want it to perform, then guess what - you're an operator in almost the same sense.

But once you get everything set up right and take the time to understand why you have to do things certain ways, you'll find it way more rewarding and way more enjoyable than loading up a ROM of Super Mario World to play for 15 minutes before getting bored and moving onto the next game in the list.
    So you don't want MAME to be easier to use.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And why deride console games? I don't get that. They used much the same hardware as the arcade.

"junior"... this place is so insulting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

So you don't want MAME to be easier to use.
    Yeah, we should go back to the early days when there weren't any rom checkers, rom CRC databases, and frontends. Uh huh.

Edit: Console games are included in a separate fork of the project called MESS. There's some console-based games on MAME at the moment but they're not working properly.

And I'm trying to not be sarcastic here. But failing at it, obviously.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    There ARE no underlying issues in the emulator's code.

yeah there is. That's why they improve it. Are you saying MAME hasn't improved since its early releases? Are you saying it is now in perfect form and they do not need to release any more updates ?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, we should go back to the early days when there weren't any rom checkers, rom CRC databases, and frontends. Uh huh.
    If people hadn't of complained there probably wouldn't be.

Why is everybody so insulting here? I haven't insulted anybody?

Some of my first posts people started making fun of my screenname.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys are a bunch of schmucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

So what are these underlying issues? The fact that it can't run certain games, or the fact that your roms don't work because they aren't meant for the version of the emulator you're using?

We keep replying to you, trying to explain things, and you aren't listening.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Console Emulator- Emulates one system, and multiple games.
    MAME emulator- Emulates multiple systems and multiple games.

MAME is complex because what it has to do is complex, just man up and go through the setup process, after you're done, have some fun, or complain on some forums. Take your pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Edit: Console games are included in a separate fork of the project called MESS. There's some console-based games on MAME at the moment but they're not working properly.
    MESS is a good point to be made. I use MESS to take screen shots of Tomy Tutor games for one of my columns at Retrogaming Times Monthly, as it's one of the few emulation platforms that run them. I've BARELY configured MESS and have encountered problems getting things to run but I've been able to work them out eventually. If I was going to be using it all the time then I'd spend more time on setting it up, but I'll probably only run the Tomy Tutor fork for like two hours total ever, so it's not worth it to me.

In that way it's just like the MAME discussion here, where you have to spend some time getting things configured if you're going to use the program on a regular basis.

stalepie - you aren't that dude that's been on a personal crusade to attempt to bring down MAME on a bunch of other forums, are you?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys are a bunch of schmucks.

@echo ON

I seriously do not understand how this thread came to be. MAME has given me orgasms!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    In that way it's just like the MAME discussion here, where you have to spend some time getting things configured if you're going to use the program on a regular basis.

stalepie - you aren't that dude that's been on a personal crusade to attempt to bring down MAME on a bunch of other forums, are you?
    No, I've used stalepie since AOL 2.5, although I think I saw someone on a forum in the Netherlands using it once.

Arcade gaming should be easy to do for the player - for instance, "back in the day," in an arcade, a player simply walked up the machine, put a quarter in and pressed start. That is how most games worked. Kids played. You did not need to "man up" or "join the big leagues" or something in order to play the game.

Someone above took 3 weeks working on getting a game running in MAME. That is my answer to Kitsune regarding where I see problems with MAME.

Edit: Well, I've used other names besides this, but I think this is the first time I've bashed MAME. I actually don't hate it that bad. I think it must be an extremely hard product to produce, emulating all those old games.

My real name is Matt Dickinson.

I guess MAME is fine and I won't complain about it anymore, as I said earlier in the thread when I started to back out. I don't know. Don't care that much.
    Last edited by stalepie; 03-18-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The biggest issue, like others have mentioned, is the use of outdated romsets on the wrong version of MAME. That's really the one thing I really really miss from the old mame.dk site: it listed properly which version of a given ROM was for which version of MAME. Maybe there is another site that does a similar job of listing those ROMs like mame.dk did (I sure hope so), but seems like it isn't the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Okay, he asked if you were that particular person because there's this weirdo that keeps going to several classic gaming and emulation forums to bash MAME for some obscure reasons nobody understands. For what it's worth, I don't believe you're that guy.

jcalder8 was talking about setting up the Hyperspin frontend to work like he wanted. I imagine he meant that he set it up to run ALL his emulators, which would take a long time for someone who isn't busy all day. He probably didn't spend three full weeks working on that.

MAME isn't meant to be easy to use. That's because in theory, it's not meant to be used for playing games. At least that's what some of the devs used to say a while back.

Chill, dude.

Edit: Lady Jaye, the best way to do that these days is to get a program like CLRMame, use that to scan and fix your romsets, and it'll save you some time. These days there's torrents released whenever MAME is updated so you can just pick the ones you need to download. Downloading roms from websites isn't really worth the hassle anymore because of lazy webmasters who refuse to post the newer romsets, and instead leave ancient ones up that won't work with later versions of the emulator.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 03-18-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Downloading roms from websites isn't really worth the hassle anymore because of lazy webmasters who refuse to post the newer romsets, and instead leave ancient ones up that won't work with later versions of the emulator.
    That does come in handy every now and then though when you're looking for an ancient romdump to run on an early version of MAME, like the stuff used on the GP2X.