Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody have any experince with Intel OverDrive processors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are plenty of Socket 370, Socket A, Slot 1, and Slot A boards that are packed with both pci and ISA slots that will run fine with cards like the AWE 32 or 64, Voodoo 2 cards, etc. My current DOS box is using a IWill KK266 with a Athlon 1ghz, Geforce card, and a AWE 32 infact. I don't have any issues with this set up. You do have to be mindful though that some of the VIA 133 chipset based motherboards had issues with Soundblaster 512 and Live cards in Windows though. Also, I wasnt just saying the 2k1 mark, I was saying up to it, because that is the timeline you pointed out for the Pentium 2 handling Windows related titles. As stated prior, the Pentium 2 started to show its limits for 3d games in 98. There are still a couple of years there in the time frame you mentioned that the PII was not up to snuff.

EDIT: So I don't look like I am talking out of my ass, for a example list:
    Blood II: The Chosen, Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now, Carmageddon TDR 2000, Quake 3, DethKarz, Heretic II, Powerslide ,Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Unreal Tournament, Daikatana, Shogo, Interstate '82, Requiem: Avenging Angel, Sports Car GT , NOLF, NFS High Stakes, Test Drive 6, Deus Ex, Rollcage Stage II, Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.², Hitman: Codename 47, and MDK 2.

All of these titles were released during the 98-2000 time frame, and all of these titles get held back by the Pentium 2 when the games are running maxed out at 1024x768 or higher. No one wants to put up with sucky frame rates and low res/details. On titles like these a 550 mhz on up cpu is starting off good, and past that even better. Something in the 700-750 mhz range will give you a lot of umph, and 1 ghz is heaven (unless its a Celeron 1ghz, as those suck).
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 04-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread makes me feel bad. At my previous job, we were throwing away tons and tons of old systems like the ones you guys desire. Stuff like pentium 2 and pentium 3 computers. All with real intel motherboards. I still have a few of those old systems left, I think about 2 or 3 but I tossed a bunch a coulpe of years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember my 486 overdrive processor, and how it could almost handle Quake.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Avoid the Pentium overdrives for 486 systems especially if you use Vesa Local Bus cards otherwise just get a used one I collect CPUs and haven't seen a dead one yet just be careful 486 overdrives come in different varieties some requiring a 487 coprocessor socket that most boards lack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too have TONS of "classic" computers/components. I even have an old Dell 667 tower with a NIC, and agp. Not sure if has ISA. It does run, but needs an os. Let me know if you are interested.

My good ol dosbox/classic gaming PC currently is a AMD K6-2 300, OC'd to 600mhz, 768MB ram, Voodoo5 5500 AGP, Quantum "Bigfoot" 10GB HDD. Also have a functioning SLOT A AMD PC as well that I used as a backup years ago.

But definitely put 100$ to better use than the "Overdrive"
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!