Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How *do* you download save games to a PS2 memory card, anyway?

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

wait so you're saying my ps2 to ps3 memory card adapter can be used like a dexdrive of sorts? lol cuz really thats what i always wanted, to be able to download gamesaves off gamefaqs directly from my ps3 or pc (but ideally ps3) and store them on a ps2 memory card and play em on my slim ps2 (or ps1 if dealing with ps1 saves)

all i need are the drivers?!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jordandavid View Post
    This is discussed here, http://www.firstadopter.com/forums/s...p?threadid=229 .

and DDR oriented, here (#6 is particularly useful) http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89030

and under the subtitle "Legend" they list several of the gameshark type options here: http://www.ddrfreak.com/versions/sav...php?version=77

All of these links explain it better than I could, but I've never actually tried it myself. Good luck. And what particularly are you interested in this for?
    I was just wondering how it was done. At the moment there's no actual game saves I want to download, but I might want to mess around with a lot of the exploits and homebrewn tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    It's a good thing that the original model is cheap to purchase and easy to find.
    And more likely to break after a few months, if its not broken already.

I might pick up a fat PS2 sometime, but I don't trust them very much at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Free McBoot will work on all PS2 models except the last PS2 "Slim" model - the SCPH 90000 units (the one with the built-in power supply). This is because Sony took out the BIOS call that allows FMCB to work - they also, apparently, nerfed the USB ports to prevent hacking through them from what I have been told).

Currently you cannot play imports or backups through softmods (including FMCB). However, if you have a PS2 "Fatty" with a Network Adapter or a specially modified early model PS2 "Slim" (the first slim model had both IDE and SATA on the motherboard) you can use hard drives for game installs using either HDLoader or its replacement, the recently released Open PS2 Loader ("Opal").

I have a couple of PS2 Memory Card adapters for the PS3 which allow you to use the memory cards through the USB port. However, I don't believe that anybody has managed to make a driver to make this unit work on a PC/Mac to allow you to transfer games saves to/from a computer.

Such a driver would also make FMCB installs much easier instead of using the various cheat disc methods that are available. The method I've used is the Codebreaker one which I've managed to get the hang of.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I also forgot to add - if you wish to go hard driving on the PS2 you don't need to worry too much about whether or not the DVD-ROM drive works. You can install games through your PC using the WinHiip program which I find to be very useful.

But you have to have the drive attached to your computer for this to work so you may want to do installs in groups to reduce the amount of instances where you need to pull out the drive from your PS2.

Yes, you can also install games from the PC to the PS2 without removing the drive but it is extremely, mindnumbingly slow so WinHiip is your best bet when you have a dead laser.

On my current PS2 with hard drive I don't even have the power hooked up to the DVD-ROM drive. I do have a PS2 "Slim" as a backup and for those games I can't get to work on a hard drive.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Oh yeah, go here: http://www.sksapps.com

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I just watched a Youtube video about the HDLoader/playing games from a hard drive method. It said that the games will run but cutscenes/FMVs will be sluggish. Is this only for some games, all games, only with older software, or is it just complete nonsense and the guy is doing something wrong?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Since you're not streaming off the disc, cutscenes can be choppy.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I just watched a Youtube video about the HDLoader/playing games from a hard drive method. It said that the games will run but cutscenes/FMVs will be sluggish. Is this only for some games, all games, only with older software, or is it just complete nonsense and the guy is doing something wrong?
    It depends on the game, I guess.

I personally never experienced this issue, though. I've played a few games with cut scenes and I haven't encountered any issues with playback. Though, YMMV.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    There are compatibility modes in both HDL and OPL that will allow you to tweak various settings. If the cutscene is choppy then it is likely that you may need to slow down the drive access since some games rely on the DVD-ROM drive speed for timing.

On HDL there is one setting for drive speed. On OPL you can adjust the drive access speed in addition to using an alternative read mode and even a setting that can allow you to bypass most FMVs.

As for what you posted, and based on my own experiences with HDL and OPL, it appears that this person is doing something wrong.

At this point I have not had any problems with any cutscenes from any game I have managed to install (and I've installed about 40). The only problems I've had is sound issues with two of the "Hitman" games and I've tweaked the settings to fix them.