Thread: Cleaning game boxes?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cleaning game boxes?

I have a variety of old game boxes both cd cases for the playstation, dvd style cases for newer systems, and a couple older style boxes for gameboy games. However what I'm most interested in, and what is most relevant is if you guys had any tips for cleaning up my dvd style cases to make them more presentable.

Several have stickers on them, a variety of gunk (I don't even want to guess what that stuff is) building up on the covers, and a couple have even been written on with a sharpie.

Does anybody here have any tips for getting these cases in a presentable form?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well first off...take the artwork out of the dvd cases before you try to clean them up.

I use goo gone for most of my sticker needs. As far as the sharpe goes, I would just use some rubbing alcohol and see what you can get done with that. The gameboy boxes are a little trickier. I've been able to peel a number of stickers off of NES boxes without damaging them. They're usually not too difficult to remove without causing any damage if the sticker residue is old enough. I've actually used a TINY amount of goo gone on several boxes and it worked well. I can't remember if the gameboy boxes are glossy enough to handle a tiny bit of liquid on them, but I'm betting they are. You can even use a blow dryer to loosen up some of the stickers a bit before you try to peel them off. Someone else might have a better suggestion than me but that's what I do.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    Well first off...take the artwork out of the dvd cases before you try to clean them up.

I use goo gone for most of my sticker needs. As far as the sharpe goes, I would just use some rubbing alcohol and see what you can get done with that. The gameboy boxes are a little trickier. I've been able to peel a number of stickers off of NES boxes without damaging them. They're usually not too difficult to remove without causing any damage if the sticker residue is old enough. I've actually used a TINY amount of goo gone on several boxes and it worked well. I can't remember if the gameboy boxes are glossy enough to handle a tiny bit of liquid on them, but I'm betting they are. You can even use a blow dryer to loosen up some of the stickers a bit before you try to peel them off. Someone else might have a better suggestion than me but that's what I do.
    Thanks man I've heard of goo gone and I'll check it out... but how would I get the art out of the cases first? The main problematic cases are xbox games.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    Thanks man I've heard of goo gone and I'll check it out... but how would I get the art out of the cases first? The main problematic cases are xbox games.
    It’s just paper, open the DVD case slide the paper out from the top or bottom. It’s not that hard. :/
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    It’s just paper, open the DVD case slide the paper out from the top or bottom. It’s not that hard. :/
    Uh unless you are talking about just taking the manual out which is inside the case, the outside is covered in plastic and as far as I can tell the paper below the plastic is glued to the front of the case. I might be wrong but I still have no idea.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh unless you are talking about just taking the manual out which is inside the case, the outside is covered in plastic and as far as I can tell the paper below the plastic is glued to the front of the case. I might be wrong but I still have no idea.
    Uh, no I’m not talking about the manual but you might as well remove everything from the case.

http://www.mmdesign.com/faq/faq_dvd.htm Do step 4 part 1

Or you could do this...

My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Uh, no I’m not talking about the manual but you might as well remove everything from the case.

http://www.mmdesign.com/faq/faq_dvd.htm Do step 4 part 1

Thanks, I'm a retard but I got it with the first diagram.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rather than cleaning them I've decided to just swap them with blank dvd cases. I'm also printing up art for discs I've got second hand without boxes. A good website for game case art is http://cdcovers.to/ if anybody is interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rather than cleaning them I've decided to just swap them with blank dvd cases. I'm also printing up art for discs I've got second hand without boxes. A good website for game case art is http://cdcovers.to/ if anybody is interested.
    I don't blame you for doing this...but I (personally) have never been satisfied doing so. Well...other than for Doom 3 on xbox. I switched out the green case for a black case because I saw it more fitting.