Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best computer gamepads?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best computer gamepads?

I don't know if this is the most appropriate forum but I don't want to continue to clog up all the other ones

Anyway, currently I play modern pc games and like to emulate rare / prototype / pal only games. I've been using a combination of the xbox 360 controller and a logitech elite. I'm just looking for recommendations for what you think the best controllers for the pc would be, also for modern pc games like street fighter 4.

Thanks.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

IMO the Xbox 360 controller really is the best PC controller out there at the moment...and on Windows 7, it's automatically recognized and works like a champ.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    IMO the Xbox 360 controller really is the best PC controller out there at the moment...and on Windows 7, it's automatically recognized and works like a champ.
    Unless you want to use the triggers. Please tell me they fixed that in the last three years since I tried.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are so many PC controller options that you should pick whichever's the best match for your favorite game genres. I rarely play games on a PC but when I do it's either MAME/emulators or doujin shmups. Since I'm a diehard console gamer, my favorite PC controllers are the Saturn USB pad and the HRAP3-SA arcade stick.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

if your computer is bluetooth ready, i'd say just go with the dualshock 3, no muss no fuss, ready to go pretty much out of the box (assuming of course u already have a ps3)
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits View Post
    There are so many PC controller options that you should pick whichever's the best match for your favorite game genres. I rarely play games on a PC but when I do it's either MAME/emulators or doujin shmups. Since I'm a diehard console gamer, my favorite PC controllers are the Saturn USB pad and the HRAP3-SA arcade stick.
    You are the second person to recommend that... the 360 I'm using works well for modern games but I haven't been totally happy with my logitech elite so I may need to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    if your computer is bluetooth ready, i'd say just go with the dualshock 3, no muss no fuss, ready to go pretty much out of the box (assuming of course u already have a ps3)
    No ps3, no bluetooth computer. If it was bluetooth I would be willing to buy the controller by itself if it was good enough but I don't think that option is going to work out.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I'll second this, unless you're using MAME. In that case, any kind of joystick with a USB plug is the way to go. I'd recommend the 360 Madcatz TE stick. Good parts, solid build, and it's plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Unless you want to use the triggers. Please tell me they fixed that in the last three years since I tried.
    I've never had a problem with the triggers in the two years I've had my PC 360 controller, sir.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

USB adapter + PS1/2 controller, or a 360 controller. Depending on what you're playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I hear ya. It's useless on GTA: San Andreas because of the triggers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    I hear ya. It's useless on GTA: San Andreas because of the triggers.
    Really? I haven't tried GTA:SA but the triggers work great in every game I have tried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you could only use one trigger at a time because of the way Direct Input caters to stone age flight sim controllers instead of properly supporting controllers that people actually buy and use.

As far as pads go, I like having at least one pad with four face buttons, and another with six, just so I can get a proper layout for all consoles.
    I use an arcade stick more than anything these days though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think you could only use one trigger at a time because of the way Direct Input caters to stone age flight sim controllers instead of properly supporting controllers that people actually buy and use.

As far as pads go, I like having at least one pad with four face buttons, and another with six, just so I can get a proper layout for all consoles.
    I use an arcade stick more than anything these days though.
    Maybe it's because of the operating systems we were on. I'm using my 360 controller on windows 7 and it works flawlessly there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    I don't know if this is the most appropriate forum but I don't want to continue to clog up all the other ones

Anyway, currently I play modern pc games and like to emulate rare / prototype / pal only games. I've been using a combination of the xbox 360 controller and a logitech elite. I'm just looking for recommendations for what you think the best controllers for the pc would be, also for modern pc games like street fighter 4.

Thanks.
    Why would you want to use any controller other than the Xbox 360 pad? In other words, if you tell me what you don't like about the controllers you currently have, I can do a better job recommending alternatives to you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099 View Post
    Why would you want to use any controller other than the Xbox 360 pad? In other words, if you tell me what you don't like about the controllers you currently have, I can do a better job recommending alternatives to you.
    The 360 works flawless other than the d-pad. For dpad games I don't really like the button layout on the logitech elite... while it mirrors a playstation in that they are in a cross pattern I find it uncomfortable for nes / snes emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've just bought a couple of the Saturn USB pads. Still waiting for em in the mail...but it was either that or the rather expensive 360 style PC pad.... eek. And I'm only using em for old school stuff so it makes no sense to get the 360 pad.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the best PC Gamepad ever made, especially for emulators. Unfortunetely I don't think you can hook it up to modern computers.

Gawd I miss my Gravis Gamepad.

If someone could make a USB version of that controller I would be all over it. All I need is 4 buttons. That's it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    This is the best PC Gamepad ever made, especially for emulators. Unfortunetely I don't think you can hook it up to modern computers.

If someone could make a USB version of that controller I would be all over it. All I need is 4 buttons. That's it.
    I have to agree with you. The thing was a simple, clean design and was able to take a lot of button mashing abuse. A USB version of this would make a lot of PC gamers happy. I guess my favorite of what is available now is one of those PS2 style Logitec gamepads.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I have to agree with you. The thing was a simple, clean design and was able to take a lot of button mashing abuse. A USB version of this would make a lot of PC gamers happy. I guess my favorite of what is available now is one of those PS2 style Logitec gamepads.
    Ugh I hate those things because of how the control stick area is square if you know what I'm talking about.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    A USB version of this would make a lot of PC gamers happy.
    But wait, there's more!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148623

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Out of curiosity, I finally tried one of those with my Gravis Gamepad II (the one that looks vaguely like a Dual Shock) and I couldn't get it to center, even with the switch on the back set to legacy mode. It seems to work fine with a simpler pad, though - and this is Win 7 64-bit, mind you.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)