Thread: pandora gaming/pc device

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default pandora gaming/pc device

Just came across this and it looks great. It a device that is like the ipad with moving controls like a console has because it was made for game and to also be used like a pc. The games and emulators come from those who make it and upload them to the shop. As far as the pc part goes it has usb ports and according to the site if it can be used by a pc's usb it can be used with this. To find out what else this can do and to buy it for $500 u.s or 440 euro go here http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php Please allow 7 days for them to ship it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aside from this^ oddly spambottish entry, I've also come across the Pandora. I've heard about this device years ago, and in March it was finally released.

The Pandora is a handheld console that runs on Linux. The idea behind this system is that it's intended to be an OpenSource console - Anyone can create games and software for it. Even it's OS is OpenSource, it runs on a slighty modified Ångström-Linux-release. As such, it can also be used as a mini-computer, running on a 600Mhz-processor with 256MB RAM.

It has 2 SDcard slots, inbuilt 802.11b/g WiFi and BlueTooth, and on the back USB-Port, TV/A (S-Video) and UARTS-ports. In size its about the same as a Nintendo DS.

^this was a prototype picture apparently, the casing doesn't look this worn out in reality if I understand correctly.

The Pandora costs about 500$ (or 440 €) and can only be ordered from the manufacturers website.

Since it runs on Linux, games that run on that OS can also be played on the Pandora. The website lists over 200 games currently available, amongst them classics like Turrican II, Quake 1 or Dungeon Master. As its Open Source, there is also a range of games "inspired" by Super Mario or the Sonic the hedgehog-Series available.

And of course, it runs emulation - more than 50 emulators are already verified to work on the system. So basically, stick a MAME-emulator on it, and off you go.

I have to admit, I'm intrigued. It appears that this little device is pretty capable. But can a community-based only Open Source-handheld device really succeed in the market?

Still, I have half a mind of getting one myself, if only for curiosity. But 440€ is a bit hefty a price tag at the moment; and I don't think it will go down any time soon...

What do you guys (and gals) think of this device? Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this thing?
    Praise Raul and calm the beef min.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Control pad and button placement doesn't look bad, but the analog placement is terrible. I even picked up my DS and messed around as if the DS had analog sticks in the location and it's clearly something that would be extremely uncomfortable with even a minute of play like that.

However, I've heard about the Pandora before. With the amount of power that it has, I'd assume it should run emulators up to 64bit well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, apparently it's capable of running N64 on emulation, a Dreamcast emulator is in the works, and I've heard that it should also be able to handle PSP-games...

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks a bit coarse there on the backside. What's the build quality on this thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I said, that pic with the ports on the back was apparently from a prototype. The finished product looks like this:

Though I admit, the matté casing looks a bit cheaper than the glossy ones of DS and PSP and the like.

However, I'd also be interested in the build quality. Anyone got any hands-on experience with that device?

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It does look much neater indeed. Sorry about that. I just glanced upon the product and even failed to notice the very "spam-like" first post as it read on.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ashens

Good old Ashens has reviewed this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2CA0...&feature=feedu

It's nice but I dunno about that $500 price tag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thing needs either a price drop or a motherboard upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    it can also be used as a mini-computer, running on a 600Mhz-processor with 256MB RAM.
    There are already mobile phones with more than double those specs.