Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S-video or component?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to play old consoles in what they regularly supported for the time (non-modified), like composite for NES/Genesis/SNES and S-Video for Saturn. I think I use component for PS2, although I'm not sure I don't like composite better if it's for certain games (like 2D stuff). To me it looks better for it to be normal, like how both the designers and players saw it at the time. I don't really like it ultra clear or sharp.

I use HDMI for PS3... it may be that modifying old consoles for better cables is the way to go with LCD. Haven't really tried. I'm using a SONY CRT for the old stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    My tv has 1 set of component hookups but I'll need a switcher because I have more than one thing I want to hookup component and I don't want to constantly replug every time I want to use a different console.
    A $15 unpowered system selector from GameStop or Wal-Mart would expand that to 3 or 4 connections for a small price and not affect the signal quality noticeably.

Just don't expect to push something like a 720p signal through it someday, since you'll probably find it's not quite up to the task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    I like to play old consoles in what they regularly supported for the time (non-modified), like composite for NES/Genesis/SNES and S-Video for Saturn. I think I use component for PS2, although I'm not sure I don't like composite better if it's for certain games (like 2D stuff). To me it looks better for it to be normal, like how both the designers and players saw it at the time. I don't really like it ultra clear or sharp.

I use HDMI for PS3... it may be that modifying old consoles for better cables is the way to go with LCD. Haven't really tried. I'm using a SONY CRT for the old stuff.
    The designers used RGB monitors in most cases.
    For stuff like Atari VCS, where the blurring of pixels is actually used for shading, it makes sense to go for the low fidelity image, but for most anything else, the clearer the signal the better.
    If you want to soften the image to give it a more authentic 'retro' look, just turn down the sharpness on your tv/monitor. That way you can still have the benefit of better colour separation and less interference, and still avoid overly sharp pixels.