Thread: Question on "as is" auctions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question on "as is" auctions

If a seller says an item is tested to play but is also sold as is, what happens if it shows up broken. Do you as a buyer have any grounds to contest it or are you just screwed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For a lot of sellers "as is" usually means that something is wrong with it, or it's damaged in some way without saying so outright, so you can expect a problem if you buy it.

I'm not sure if it has any real standing in a Paypal dispute though. I don't use it personally because it will make people stay away from your auctions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    For a lot of sellers "as is" usually means that something is wrong with it, or it's damaged in some way without saying so outright, so you can expect a problem if you buy it.

I'm not sure if it has any real standing in a Paypal dispute though. I don't use it personally because it will make people stay away from your auctions.
    I don't say it in my auctions, I'm just curious about a couple auctions I saw that said tested, working, as is no refunds. Basically I was wondering if I could paypal dispute and win if it was broken when I got it.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yes. Buyers are allowed to return anything if they choose. Sellers stating "no returns" in their listings are just trying to scare people, eBay prohibits all "no returns" policies...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Hm. Isn't there a policy difference between ebay us and ebay uk in that regard? I wouldn't know, as I of course list on the us site.
    Lum fan.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Yes. Buyers are allowed to return anything if they choose. Sellers stating "no returns" in their listings are just trying to scare people, eBay prohibits all "no returns" policies...
    This has always confused me. eBay allows sellers (such as myself) to check "returns NOT accepted" in the returns policy on a listing page, but then they allow buyers to return an item really in any instance. If a buyer gets something and is just unhappy with the item (they paid too much for it or have buyer's remorse) there's nothing to stop them from filing a SNAD case and forcing a return.

As for "as-is" items it usually means a seller can not fully test the item, and they only guarantee the item working to the amount as described. For instance if they say a copy of Zelda: LttP plays but otherwise is "as-is" it may have a dead save battery or some other problem that the seller was not able to initially figure out. I would stay away from as-is video game listings because there may be a problem with the game that the seller is aware of but does not want to admit.

For the record I myself sell things in "as-is" condition but only when I cannot find any way to test the aforementioned item, or when it has obvious flaws. There are some instances when people don't mind buying something broken or with issues but when I do sell items of that nature I try to make it *really* obvious that it is broken (not some "oh it works but is "as-is" as well lulz" kind of thing at the very end of the auction).
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I sell certain things "As-is" when I'm not selling a complete item.

I recently sold a copy of Loom on 5.25" floppies as is. I sold it not because of the floppies, but because of the contents, which were in excellent shape, and said "the floppies are a bonus item."

I had no complaints on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    This has always confused me. eBay allows sellers (such as myself) to check "returns NOT accepted" in the returns policy on a listing page, but then they allow buyers to return an item really in any instance. If a buyer gets something and is just unhappy with the item (they paid too much for it or have buyer's remorse) there's nothing to stop them from filing a SNAD case and forcing a return.
    I haven't sold anything in an age, just going by what I've been told. So there is still a tick box for no returns, yet general eBay policy allows almost any sort of return? That's screwed up then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Listing something "as is" is pretty much just a seller's way of trying to cover themselves. If the item winds up not working when you get it, they can just say "sorry, but I said as is!"

Or at least, they used to be able to. I think people still use that term now because they might think they can still get away with that, or just out of habit.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ebay is an oxymoron. On one side, they allow the seller to decide not to accept returns, yet Ebay will enforce a return. While in theory it doesn't make sense, the only explanation I can come up with is this: even though an item is labeled as "as is", if the buyer is not happy, they can return the item if the seller permits. However, we usually see "as is" with "no returns". If this is the case, Ebay permits a return if it is significally worse than "as is".

Confusing? It is. Think about it this way. Let's believe the postal service is not responsible for the folliwing mishap. A seller can say that the physical condition of an item is excellent, but that it does not work and is sold "as is" with "no returns". However, if the buyer receives it and the seller lied about the condition (say it's severely damaged consmetically), the buyer does have a right to return. Why? Because "as is" is interpret with regards of the item working, not the condition. And since the seller stated it was in great condition, there was deceit from the seller.

There is a problem with this, however. And it's buyer's deceit. A buyer may very well know an item is damaged and he/she gets it in the exact condition the seller stated. The buyer may try to repair the item and if they are not able to do so, they can do a chargeback with Paypal to accept the return. I don't think it's an ethical practice since the seller was honest and it's the buyer who is deceitful. This is very, VERY common in retail, when a customer returns an item stating it was damaged when in fact they just needed it for a special occassion. This is why many employees verify the item before refunding, because quite honest, the customer cannot be believed.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!