Thread: Sega CD Model 1 DOA

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD Model 1 DOA

Ok, DOA may be a bit over dramatic.

Ok, I got a Sega CD from my girlfriend for Christmas. She asked me what I wanted, and I said Sega CD. I had a small collection of games I had retained from when I was younger and I dont generally care for emulation in the long run, I wanted the real hardware again. She spots one on ebay with the Sega Genesis that the guy claimed works, but doesn't have spare power cords to sell with it, which happens. I get it, and Neither the Sega Genesis or CD work properly. The LED is dead in the Sega Genesis and wouldn't load a cart leading me to believe the system was just dead, but I cleaned the cart slot in good measure and it works. The Sega CD on the other is in bad shape, its all messed up. its been apart so many times that screws are missing all over the place in the system, and it has the ejecting tray problem, also the CD assembly keeps on falling off the track. I understand that the issue can be one or both of two causes

1) The Belt being not tight enough to pull the tray up

2) the switches not being pushed to let the system know the tray is closed.

I can not get a hold a new belt, and I do not know the correct positions the switches have to be in different modes of operation.

Can someone help me with both issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

You may also want to keep in mind that since it's obvious it has been "repaired" before, it may be missing parts or had additional damage done. You can never tell when you end up with hardware like that.

In my younger days I would spend weeks working on stuff like that but these days, if the item isn't all that rare, I'll opt for replacement or one that while dead is still all there in good shape.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Check the other threads that I have replied to

Check the other threads that I have replied to, this is going to be tough to do with out some detailed pictures. What you want to do is to open the tray and make sure that the cog wheel/gear hits the switch when the tray is fully closed. You will have to manually do this. To open the tray release the side clips and use the rear gear to move the tray open.