Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have one of these? Super Everdrive for SNES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default anyone have one of these? Super Everdrive for SNES?

http://shop.retrogate.com/Super-Ever...NES-DSP-US.htm

so anyone have this AND the snes powerpak and can give me the pros and cons of each....and your general feelings about them.

p.s. still waiting for a bigger price drop on both devices
    Last edited by MyTurnToPlay; 03-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Please make the title of your thread more clear (ie. specify what you're actually talking about)...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Price drop? I think the prices are more likely to hold or even increase over time rather than go down. No mass production or distribution in this field for such an effect.

I own both an NES and SNES PowerPak and a Gen/MD Everdrive. I highly recommend kit from either source. Your choice is going to come down to what suits you best, and others will have a hard time determining your own specific criteria, because they're not you. From what I have heard and what I know about each of the SNES carts, I'd say go PowerPak and buy a CF card with it from RetroUSB at the same time so you don't have to hunt for one that will work and not give you grief.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-23-2011 at 10:29 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a NES powerpack and a Super NES everdrive. I am pretty happy with both. The powerpacks usually cost a bit more but they are very nice quality and pretty much ready to go out of the box. The everdrive I bought comes as a bare board so there is some cutting, sanding, label making/buying, SD card buying, ect that has to happen to make your Everdrive nice and usable. The trade off is the money you save. The Powerpack has the DSP-1 chip so it will play games like Pilotwings and Mario Kart. The Everdrive will not unless you order the super duper deluxe version from Stone Age Gamer but the price pretty much gets up to the same as the Powerpack. I recommend both solutions, both have their strengths.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Powerpak is more expensive, especially if you buy only the Super Everdrive board and do the case yourself. Krikzz does many updates for his cards, and does respond to customers on Assembler Games. You can get DSP-1 on the Super Everdrive, or do it yourself technically. Saving games is much easier/better on the SED. However, game loading is much slower. Powerpak uses CF cards, so the largest SNES games load instantly. SED takes maybe a minute for the big ones, but they stay in ROM memory. I'd say the biggest issue with the Powerpak for SNES is the CF card compatibility issue. Too many people have had issues with certain games and the cards, and for me personally, I didn't want to go down that road.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

double post
    Last edited by Greg2600; 03-23-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Its' really a case of you get what you pay for. The SNES Powerpak is one of the best flashcarts out there.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Super Everdrive does a better job thanks to it's save system. I've never encountered a 60 second load time and they've been very reasonable.

And you don't have the mystery surrounding compatibility with the PowerPak (Both with CF cards and some revisions of the SuperNes) and you actually have a creator of the device and also a supplier in StoneAgeGames that will talk to their customers and potential customers.

I've seen some person trying to get help from the PowerPak creator and just be repeatedly ignored via email, private messages at the forum, and help threads even though he's clearly active there and is even viewing the thread asking why he's ignoring the help request from the customer in question. There's no shortage of forum post from quite a few people with poor things to say about Bunneyboy's customer support (Although I've never heard of anyone that was ripped off either, it's just difficult to contact him and he often seems to ignore people for long lengths of time despite having their money).

The automatic saving more than makes up for the slight load times (I don't time it, but don't think I've seen a load time go much past 15 seconds). Assuming you don't mind waiting for a few seconds for your game to load and don't want to play Star Ocean, the better save system of the Super Everdrive, lower cost, and better customer support makes it the way to go.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-23-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

One thing to remember is that Krikzz in the Ukraine is doing these carts full time now, I think's its his main source of income. Bunnyboy does them on the side. He was always very attentive and helpful when the NES powerpak came out, but I think he simply had no good answer to the CF Card issues. I remember the snesdev-parodius forum just being a slew of varied issues with the cards. I think a combination of a firmware/perhaps hardware update from him may have solved most of the CF issues.

PS: There's also that sd2snes project in Germany, where supposedly they're able to emulate all special chips on their FPGA. Still waiting to see that....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered a Super Everdrive a few weeks ago, hoping to have it soon! I heard the SNES Powerpak has a pretty annoying process where you have to manually create SRAM files for each game, so I don't think it is worth the extra price. Considering there is only a handful of hacks that exceed 48 Mbit (most notably the non-SDD-1 hack of Star Ocean), the fact that the SNES Powerpak can work with the theoretical maximum size for a snes game is not really an advantage.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not too familiar with supported games for the Super Everdrive, Anyone have a list of games that would NOT be supported if I purchased the SED+DSP1 version? I know of Star Ocean, but what else? And would I really be missing out on some damn good gaming if, for example, I cant play Star Ocean and the other games? I am a fan of rpgs but do those missing games justify the extra $$$$

the more research i do, the more i'm leaning towards buying the Super Everdrive. The price is lower, the save feature is more efficient, and i've been checking out youtube videos of it and the load times are seriously not a big deal. i mean, come on, who the hell cant wait 50 seconds to play a game.

thanks for the input guys, it really helped. any other thoughts would also be appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only games that are incompatible are on this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ancement_chips
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I own the SNES Powerpak but have never used the SNES Everdrive.

Does the Everdrive have problems loading games with incorrect/no headers, or oddball file sizes? That's the one gripe I have about the Powerpak, a lot of oddball stuff like betas, trained games, or unlicensed efforts won't load due to it header problems.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    The only games that are incompatible are on this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ancement_chips
    Except if you get the DSP-1 chip on it, all DSP-1 games will work. Yes, Star Ocean is too big. Also, the BS (satellaview games) don't work, but I think do work on the PowerPak. Those being BS Zelda (I think) and BS Excitebike.

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I own the SNES Powerpak but have never used the SNES Everdrive.

Does the Everdrive have problems loading games with incorrect/no headers, or oddball file sizes? That's the one gripe I have about the Powerpak, a lot of oddball stuff like betas, trained games, or unlicensed efforts won't load due to it header problems.
    No issues in that regard whatsoever. Krikzz has used his SD Card interface in several different cards now, no issues. Once in a blue moon a cart might be defective, and you have to send it back to be replaced, but it's a low failure rate. He tests them first. The problems you speak of with the PowerPak are all due to the CompactFlash interface. I don't know the reason, I don't think bunnyboy (creator) has ever fully identified the cause. It's why I never bought one. Had it worked as smoothly as the NES PP, I would have probably a year ago.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 03-25-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Also, the BS (satellaview games) don't work, but I think do work on the PowerPak. Those being BS Zelda (I think) and BS Excitebike.
    Actually I played BS Zelda on my Everdrive last weekend and it worked fine. I played the "hardware compatible" version of the rom from the BS Zelda site. I couldn't get the other versions to work, so I am assuming those mostly work on emulators.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yeah. after all of this, my own research, and youtube vids...i'm going to buy the Everdrive.

way too many issues with the powerpak, and retrousb customer support seems atrocious, whereas I've seen Krizz go out of his way to please his customers. In my opinion, that kind of service is very important, and is also indicative of the product.

Everdrive here I come! Cant wait to play Earthbound!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Purkeynator View Post
    Actually I played BS Zelda on my Everdrive last weekend and it worked fine. I played the "hardware compatible" version of the rom from the BS Zelda site. I couldn't get the other versions to work, so I am assuming those mostly work on emulators.
    Anyone know if the BS Golf game works on Everdrive?

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Purkeynator View Post
    Oh, that's good to hear. Remember the Satellaview games were designed to work with that unit, and were also designed with timers and required certain downloads. None of them work, even on an emulator, without modification. This website has done extensive work, including language translations and sprite replacement, and is probably the site you went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Anyone know if the BS Golf game works on Everdrive?
    Would probably work if someone has done a hack to get it to work on SNES/SFC hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Would probably work if someone has done a hack to get it to work on SNES/SFC hardware.

I'm pretty sure Kiddo's hack would work on an Everdrive. Would like confirmation from someone, though. His hack works on the PowerPak, and I heard the unhacked version works fine on a ToToTek flash cart.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Mine is in transit from Ukraine, so I'll test it (if I find the rom) when I get it, hopefully within a week. If nobody else does.