Thread: Power Base Converter for Sega Genesis question

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power Base Converter for Sega Genesis question

You know the Power Base Converter, the thing that plugged into the Genesis cartridge slot, so you could play Master System games on your Sega Genesis.

Did it have it's own AC adapter? Did it have it's own video output? Or did it get it's power from the Genesis and use the Genesis's video output.

The reason I'm asking is because I have my Sega Genesis hooked up to a RGB monitor for a super incredible picture, and I was thinking that I could play Master System games in RGB if I had a Power Base Converter.

I wonder if it would work. If it used the Genesis's video output, I think it would have to work. But the thing is that the Sega Master System never had RGB capabilities. So I'm not sure how that would affect the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

It takes everything from the Genesis. I have a picture on my site somewhere I think, but I can't find it at the moment. I don't know if it's capable of RGB output though.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since when does the Genesis have RGB output?

It's got R/F and A/V, same as the SMS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon Lad
    Since when does the Genesis have RGB output?

It's got R/F and A/V, same as the SMS

Actually, alot of video game systems have RGB output, but you would never have known it, unless you heard from somebody else. The manufacturers of the systems never really publicize it, because less than 1 percent of their customers really care about RGB capabilities.

Here is a breakdown of systems that work in RGB.

TurboGrafx-16 - RGB output
    Sega Genesis - RGB output
    Super Nintendo - RGB output
    Sega CD - RGB output (via the Genesis)
    Sega 32X - RGB output (via the Genesis)
    Atari Jaguar - RGB output
    Sega Saturn - RGB output
    Sony Playstation - RGB output
    Nintendo 64 - RGB output (only after internal modification)

That's pretty much the breakdown of systems that have confirmed RGB capabilities. I currently have a Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn and Atari Jaguar all working in RGB right now, and I can tell you that picture quality is absolutely fantastic. Were talking drop dead gorgeous.

You've never really experienced any of these systems to the fullest extent until you've experienced them in RGB.

Now to get RGB from these systems, you need 2 things.

1. An RGB monitor that handles the 15hz frequencies (or something like that)
    2. A specialized cable that connects the system to that RGB monitor.

I happen to have a Commodore 1084S-D1 monitor that handles these frequencies no problem. I was able to get custom RGB cables made by a company called Redmond Cable a long, long time ago. Unfortunately, they no longer make RGB cables for game machines. I'm currently in the process of trying to get a specialized RGB cable made for 3 different systems. My TurboGrafx-16, my Sony Playstation and my Nintendo 64. Then Nintendo 64 is definitely the most difficult, because you actually have to open up the unit and modify it from the inside for RGB output.

You can go to www.gamesx.com to find all about RGB. Check out there RGB Primer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The power base converter uses the Genesis for power, no additional power source is needed. It can play carts and cards, but you cannot use the 3-D glasses attachment with it since the adapter will not fit natively, although you can use it if you either hack or open the converter to make it fit. The converter also has no SMS BIOS, which means no built in familiar SMS logo when starting a game, or any other built in game for that matter. But, it will allow certain Tec Toy titles to be played that will not work on the original SMS, like Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter Animation. That's about all I can think of regarding the converter. Maybe too much info for yah, but hopefully it helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    but you cannot use the 3-D glasses attachment with it since the adapter will not fit natively
    It works just fine, it just doesn't fit flush like it does with the SMS. You can even stuff both of them onto a CDX & that monstrosity works too.

The Genesis & the SMS both output RGB video. They both use the CXA1145 RGB chip & have identical pinouts at the 8-pin connector. The Power Base convertor should work just fine with the Genesis RGB output.