Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castlevania Artbook Manga

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Castlevania Artbook Manga

while spring cleaning, i found an item that i had long forgotten about. tucked inside my hard cover copy of "have a nice day" (by mick foley) i found a small book called "Dracula X: nocturne of night art book." i got this little book when i preordered Castlevania: symphony of the night on PSone.

after some research, i finally found a website that knows what it is. follow link: http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Symph ... book_Manga

this is the only information i can find on it. i was wondering if anyone else has heard about it. If I were to sell this how would I price it being that I can not find any trace of it on ebay or amazon.

I live in USA, btw. (If this should effect the value of it.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

over 50 views, and no one knows? dang...

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It was also part of the initial Japanese release of the game (along with a music cd). Not sure if this is true or not but I read that not many places gave away the art book in the US. I'd imagine $15-$20 would be as much as you could get for it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would never sell it for 20 dollars. I guess people are going to have to buy it from someone else. Oh wait... they can't. No one else has it.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Interesting item! I love Kojima's style, so that's the kind of artbook (or manga) that I'd definitely go for!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, very interesting. I never seen one or even heard of a SotN preorder bonus before now. Could you post a photo up in here? I know I'd spend more than $20 if I were to stumble upon one... As long as it isn't a tiny flimsy ashcan format type thing. If it's hardcover, I certainly couldn't pay what I'd guess to be it's market value.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-28-2011 at 07:32 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Here's what Wikipedia says:

"The Japanese version was packaged with a small manga based on the game, an artbook, and a soundtrack compiled of most of the Castlevania games released before Symphony of the Night. The Japanese version also had unlockable interviews with the Japanese voice actors. The North American release did not receive any of these bonuses, but the art book and a compilation of music from past Castlevania games were included with European pre-orders."

If that's true, then it wouldn't be terribly uncommon considering it would've been with every copy of the Japanese game (first print run, that is, not the budget re-releases) and with a fair number of European copies.

I do have a copy of the original Japanese print run with the soundtrack, but I have no idea where the manga or artbook disappeared to. My fiance bought it way back when it was new, before the game even reached the US. He even bought some weird proto version from Chinatown, before the Japanese release, but that either disappeared or got destroyed and it was just a CD-R anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Yes, very interesting. I never seen one or even heard of a SotN preorder bonus before now. Could you post a photo up in here? I know I'd spend more than $20 if I were to stumble upon one... As long as it isn't a tiny flimsy ashcan format type thing. If it's hardcover, I certainly couldn't pay what I'd guess to be it's market value.
    Don't worry, it's not rare at all and it wasn't a hardcover deal either. It's just a little comic book/instruction manual style and sized manga/mini art book that came with like every first print release of the Japanese edition of the game and as a pre-order in Europe. It was a pre-order at some US Game Stop stores but pretty much everybody got fucked with that seeing as the store pretty much got in no copies of the book. literally $20 is the absolute max you should pay for this thing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Don't worry, it's not rare at all and it wasn't a hardcover deal either. It's just a little comic book/instruction manual style and sized manga/mini art book that came with like every first print release of the Japanese edition of the game and as a pre-order in Europe. It was a pre-order at some US Game Stop stores but pretty much everybody got fucked with that seeing as the store pretty much got in no copies of the book. literally $20 is the absolute max you should pay for this thing.
    Seeing that you can not buy a copy of it any where else, it is worth more than 20 dollars. But if I am wrong, prove it. I seriously welcome any further proof that someone else has one for sale.

Also, you are incorrect to compare it to an instruction booklet. The cover is much stiffer. It also has a book cover over the entire thing. So there are two different covers (another detail not often found on "little comic book/instruction manual."

So please, show us where we can all buy a copy for 20 dollars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaekwon15 View Post
    Seeing that you can not buy a copy of it any where else, it is worth more than 20 dollars. But if I am wrong, prove it. I seriously welcome any further proof that someone else has one for sale.

Also, you are incorrect to compare it to an instruction booklet. The cover is much stiffer. It also has a book cover over the entire thing. So there are two different covers (another detail not often found on "little comic book/instruction manual."

Hey man, you got something marginally cool there. No need to be an ass about it.

No matter how rare something is, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh sorry for my memory of something I haven't pulled out since like 1997 is a bit fuzzy. Also why are you getting so butthurt over this? I'm not telling you to sell the thing for $20 so settle the fuck down, no need to start being a prick over something so insignificant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

There's no way to tell what something is worth until someone pays for it. While I think it could be worth more, no one can say for sure when there's no evidence to back it up.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Slipcovers are the norm for Japanese books.

It's hard to find for sale because, for the most part, it was never available in the US. Rarity doesn't equal value. There are plenty of much rarer game-related items that are worth $20 or less, and I can think of dozens of game-related items from Japan that I have been trying to land for years, even though I know that when I do find them for sale they shouldn't cost much at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Oh sorry for my memory of something I haven't pulled out since like 1997 is a bit fuzzy. Also why are you getting so butthurt over this? I'm not telling you to sell the thing for $20 so settle the fuck down, no need to start being a prick over something so insignificant.
    You made two posts to reminded us all how easy to find and cheap this item is (All the while you were clearly wrong). One post would have been enough. You were asking for the type of response I gave. So do not act surprised that reacted to your trolling.
    Last edited by jaekwon15; 03-29-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Can anyone confirm if the book is the same no matter what country it was given away in?

Here's a BIN on eBay for a complete copy of the original Japanese edition: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dracula-X-Noctur...item2a0da7f51c

If the book indeed has no variations, I wouldn't expect much more than half of that seller's price. Asking prices aren't usually good to go off of, but this one looks to be close considering the higher-priced copies that never seem to leave.

You made two posts to reminded us all how easy to find and cheap this item is. One post would have been enough. All the while you were clearly wrong.
    Can you prove he's wrong? Can you prove that book is worth more than $20?
    Last edited by Kyle15; 03-29-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the book is the same no matter what country it was given away in?

Here's a BIN on eBay for a complete copy of the original Japanese edition: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dracula-X-Noctur...item2a0da7f51c

If the book indeed has no variations, I wouldn't expect much more than half of that seller's price. Asking prices aren't usually good to go off of, but this one looks to be close considering the higher-priced copies that never seem to leave.

Can you prove he's wrong? Can you prove that book is worth more than $20?
    Very good post. I like it when the grown ups talk to each other. As opposed to... well, you know.

I have been asking this question for years, an no one has given me as good of a lead like the one you have. Thank you.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Given the information that's been presented in this topic already, it's already obvious that it's not a rare item since the game was a big hit in Japan. That would also back up it not being very valuable.

Taking a look through Japan Yahoo auctions, I see several copies of the game with the artbook, many priced around the equivalent of $20 (and that's for the book AND the game and music CD and such). Any foreigner could buy those copies too if they wanted (through a middleman), so add maybe another $20 tops for middleman fees and you have many more copies available for about 40 bucks like the eBay auction. I don't know how much value the book contributes, but logic would suggest that people aren't paying $39 for an artbook and a buck for everything else. Like Kyle, I don't think it's contributing to any more than half of the value.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 03-29-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Given the information that's been presented in this topic already, it's already obvious that it's not a rare item since the game was a big hit in Japan. That would also back up it not being very valuable.

Taking a looking through Japan Yahoo auctions, I see several copies of the game with the artbook, many priced around the equivalent of $20 (and that's for the book AND the game and music CD and such). Any foreigner could buy those copies too if they wanted (through a middleman), so add maybe another $20 tops for middleman fees and you have many more copies available for about 40 bucks like the eBay auction. I don't know how much value the book contributes, but logic would suggest that people aren't paying $39 for an artbook and a buck for everything else. Like Kyle, I don't think it's contributing to any more than half of the value.
    Interesting. Thank you for your input too. I think that if were to ever sell this manga (and that's a huge IF) I would pair it with my copy of SOTN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You were asking for the type of response I gave. So do not act surprised that reacted to your trolling.
    You're going to find that that's not the way things work here. You act up enough, regardless of whether you were goaded into it, and you're going to get told by a mod. Read the rules, trolling is to be ignored.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You made two posts to reminded us all how easy to find and cheap this item is (All the while you were clearly wrong). One post would have been enough. You were asking for the type of response I gave. So do not act surprised that reacted to your trolling.
    Amusingly I posted saying that it wasn't rare, nowhere did I say that it was easy to find. Also how were my responses of a trolling nature? It's cute that you're getting so bent out of shape over something so silly.

I like it when the grown ups talk to each other. As opposed to... well, you know.
    I don't think you should consider yourself an adult after the way you've responded to this thread.