Thread: Crysis 2 PC and home system performance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Crysis 2 PC and home system performance?

I have not played it well enough to know whether I really like it or not, but I can comment on performance so far from what I have played of it on both my Crossfire system and my sons gaming system here. My Crossfire system initially had a weird texture issue going on with the water at the beginning. AMD released 11.2 CAP4 which resolved that. Regardless of the texture fix, actual performance was more sluggish with two cards then one, with the fps being 10-15 fps lower then single card performance. My crossfire system uses a Athlon II X4 635@2.9ghz pair with two HD 5770 cards. Running a single 5770, with the game set to 1360x768 and "Hardcore" settings, resulted in this:
    2011-03-25 03:47:46 - Crysis2
    Frames: 41207 - Time: 807336ms - Avg: 51.041 - Min: 31 - Max: 89

My sons system uses a Athlon II X3 435@2.9ghz paired with a single HD 4830. I ran the game in the same area I did on my Crossfire system, with the game set to 1280x768 and "Advanced", and his minimum fps was recorded as 27 fps, and the average was 37fps. I dont remember the max fps off hand though. Gamer mode was quite a bit faster on his, but since it was fully playable in Advanced, that is going to be the setting for him to play it at as the performance/visual trade off was good. I may try the game on my FX-62 SLI 8800GTS system in a day or two also, if I have the time.

Anyone else run it yet on their gaming pc? Also, hearing things about the PS3 release not being up to snuff, and that the 360 release is much better. Anyone try both that has any thoughts on that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been checking my Redbox for Crysis 2, as I would enjoy a nice look at that game. I'd prefer the 360 version, but would get the PS3 version if it was there. Haven't seen it yet at any of my local redboxes. I have Blockbuster Online, and they send out games, but the games have to be really old. They don't send brand new ones.

I've been thinking about building a legit PC for awhile now. I'd like to play games on it, and also be able to edit HD video. I'm thinking of going with a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k cpu, along with a GeForce GTX 560 Ti gpu. Both seem to be the best bang for the buck items in the CPU and GPU category right now. I'd love to be able to go to the i7 2600, so I could then use the triple channel memory, I'd get much better performance with my video editing, but there is just such a huge price difference in going that route. I still have to get a Case, power supply, heatsink for CPU, memory, LGA 1155 type motherboard, hard drive, etc. I'm trying to fit everything together for like $850. It's going to be damn near impossible