Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DS or replace DSLite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DS or replace DSLite?

So I came home tonight to the glorious gift of a completely chewed up DS Lite on my living room floor...thanks dog!

So my question is, do I get a replacement or get the 3DS? I've still have a pretty extensive backlog of DS games that I want to play though and I liked the Lite because it plays GBA games. I do have a GBA SP, but the brightness on the Lite is much, much better than on my SP. I'll eventually pick up a 3DS, but there aren't any 3D games that I'm interested in right now.

I'm pretty torn here. What do you guys think?

Also, if anyone needs a completely pristine box, instructions, etc for the white DS Lite...PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In this particular case, I'd go for the DS Lite. If there's nothing on 3DS yet that interests you, no point in buying it right away. You definitely want the DS for GBA games.

Of course, you will wind up spending more in the long run this way, as you'll be buying a new DS and then a 3DS down the line.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

But does it work?

If it still does, you can purchase a replacement case and pass everything to the new case.

If it does not work, then I would recommend another DS Lite.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd buy a 3DS. If you're already interested in purchasing a 3DS and you're going to do so at a future date, then why waste $130 picking up a DS Lite then another $250 on the 3DS. Like you said, you already have a GBA SP, and you probably have a Gamecube with Gameboy Player, so I'd say spend the extra $120 and you won't have to pay extra to upgrade later.

Also the DS Lite has crappy buttons. It just feels so cheaply made. You're better off using something besides DS Lite to play not only GBA games but DS games.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-27-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe you could find a used DS Lite, one in decent condition. That way you can still have a Lite for playing GBA games on, but save a bit of money over buying a new one.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like a DS Lite is your best bet for your needs at this time, given a budget.

But personally, if money isn't an issue, I'd consider another option that will cost a few dollars more than just buying a new DS Lite. Buying a used, good condition, backlit SP for GB/GBC/GBA games is ideal since you get GB/GBC compatibility and the button layout is ideal for all GBA games (Where as A & B on the DS pad isn't always ideal for GBA games like the Super Mario World port). And the backlit model uses the exact same screen technology as the DS Lite and the Game Boy Micro, unlike your original SP model with it's signifcantly dimmer screen. The backlit SP (I like calling it a SP2 since the screen was such a leap in quality) is just as bright and clear as a DS Lite and came out right around the same time.

And pick up a DSiXL for DS software. You'd have access to the DSi shop, you'd have the largest screens available (Significantly larger than those on the 3DS), and you'd be able to play your DS software in it's native resolution. And you'd have the often critical d-pad for DS software in an ideal position, where as it's moved to a secondary and less comfortable spot on the 3DS in favor of an analog stick being the primary control mechanism.

The BC on the 3DS doesn't sound ideal. Load times are slightly longer and the games have to be scaled to fill the bottom touch screen and fill the full 4:3 area of the top widescreen, which apparantly hurts the graphics substantially in some games. To play them in their native resolution on the 3DS requires playing in a smaller window.

This way, you get the best handheld experience possible for GB/GBC/GBA/DS games (Your only loss would be a handful of DS games that used the GBA cartridge slot for such things as rumble). And by the time you've worked through your DS library, there will likely be a 3DS revision out that is superior with some actual 3DS software that you'd want to play.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-27-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To clear up a few things...

1) The DSLite is completely unplayable by a long shot.
    2) I do have a micro as well (the spiffy CE one actually).
    3) I do have a GBA player on my GC.
    4) Money isn't really an issue although I'm not going to go out and buy both on the same day out of principle.

I'm really leaning towards following the "buy the DSXL" advice. I mean, the 3D is very cool (played one for about 20 minutes the other day) but I just can't see myself getting into ANY of the launch titles whatsoever. I'm an RPG guy these days. I've been playing through DQIX and just bought DQVI.

That beings said, is the resolution of the XL any different than the DS? I'm sure it's not, but I've never actually played one personally.

Also, does the XL work with a flash card? I've been running some homebrew apps on the Lite that I really don't want to be without, but it's not a necessity.
    Last edited by Darko; 03-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The screens of the XL are the same resolution as any other DS. So no scaling is involved that will negatively affect the picture quality.

As for flash cards, I can't help you there. I wouldn't be shocked if what you bought for your DS Lite had somehow been locked out from playing on the DSiXL by Nintendo.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-27-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fatalstar64's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Fatalstar64

My DS lite was stolen, but luckily the 3DS was a month away and honestly I'd say get the 3DS. I got Ridge Racer 3D and it just looks like your looking into a window into another world. As for not being able to see the 3D short of you having vision problems or blurry vision in one eye (or a pirate), you will see it it's right in your face. As for the headache propaganda I played 40 mins max 3d and I'm fine.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why buy another DS Lite?

Think of it this way:

3DS = $250
    DS Lite = ~$100 (?)

Thus, to justify buying a DS Lite AND then a 3DS later, you'd have to wait until 3DS is all the way down to $150 to break even.

That will take YEARS, IMO. Probably 2013 at the earliest, maybe later. You'll also miss the intangible of all those games at launch.

Just suck it up and get the 3DS, IMO.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I think that spending the extra money on something you MAY want later on down the road is not a good idea. Why drop the extra cash when you can get something that fully suits your needs for less?

Getting a used DS Lite/DSi/DSiXL or whatever seems to be the best route to go, I think. I'm usually really good at justifying an upgrade to a new product, but I just can't here.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fatalstar64's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Fatalstar64

If you get a DS lite your gonna lose money on it most likely if it's around $80 or even worse $150 for a new one. You will also feel kinda foolish when Zelda and Starfox are around the corner. Why buy a dying system when for a bit more you're set up for the next 5 years? I was in the same position you were in and couldn't justify a temporary system.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Leo Ames' idea of a DSiXL is pretty good. The DSi XL is amazing. I'd get one myself but I'm patiently holding out for a 3DS XL.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm patiently holding out for a 3DS XL.
    ^^
    That'll be cool. I hope they do it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of each. The DSI XL is the one to go with. The 3DS is awesome, but I enjoy the XL more (untile we see a Mario game in 3D). The bigger screen makes me happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Considering that DS software doesn't look nearly as good on the 3DS unless you play in a small window, I think not automatically going with the 3DS isn't necessarily a bad idea if he's most concerned with best enjoying his big backlog of DS software.

This is Digital Press, not Game Faqs. The average user here doesn't automatically move on the day a successor is released. His entire post had to do with best enjoying his DS software. Considering the site we're at, there's no reason to think that he won't still be playing DS software 10-15 years down the road.

And the best way to do that is by not going with a 3DS. The 3DS is a fine system, but only if you want it for 3DS software. There are no shortage of reports of the experience being less than adequate for playing DS software. Uncomfortable position of the d-pad, longer load times (Slight, but it's still there), and most of all, the resolution issues.

If someone wants to get the most out of their DS library, I highly recommend going with a DSiXL unless you're on a budget. If saving every buck is important and you want to join the 3DS club soon, then I suppose sucking it up and dealing with the issues with DS software would be an option. Or if you've played what you want to death with just a game or two left that you want to experience, I suppose putting up with a less than ideal picture would be worth it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to give everyone an update, I went with the XL. I picked up the bronze/black model new and, other than getting used to the size, I'm pretty happy with it. I almost took it back and switched it out for the smaller version, but I'm going to keep it for a couple more days before I make that decision. It seems like I lost some image clarity with the bigger screen but it could just be my imagination.

I'll probably pick up the 3DS in the 4th quarter of this year after a few more games release.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I was toying with the idea of getting a 3DS but much like you there's just nothing to pull me in that's out there right now. That having been said I will eventually get one just not anytime soon barring some excellent must-have title. Since seeing this thread, I've been thinking about getting an XL but the one thing holding me back from doing this is the lack of the GBA slot on the bottom. I noticed that you mentioned GBA compatibility as a part of your decision in the OP. did you find a solution for the XL or was that a casualty?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's amazing how cheap NEW XL's are on craigslist right now.

Like $100-120. I'm tempted to get one just to have one. The Mario Kart bundle seems cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd say XL too. Maximum DS enjoyment to be had with that big screen!