Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do you want games these days to last???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sometimes I dont have alot of time and just wanna play a quick game of something, others i got all day to play. The only thing that needs to be left out of games are the unskippable cut scenes....especially on the games that require multiple play throughs. i think sometimes the cutscenes are just there to make the game seem longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More than 5-8 hours , who really spends 60 dollars for a game to just end in a weekends time?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd rather a game be too short rather than too long. I could put down an average time by genre but for me it's really a game-to-game basis.

I could have stood for even more content in Super Mario Galaxy 2, for example. Just that good. However, I'm about 15 hours into Dragon Quest 8 and I already think it is gonna run wayyy too long. Metroid: Other M (yes, I realize most dislike it, but I enjoyed it) took me about 10 hours, and 2 hours were cut scenes, and I think that game was just right in length. But Devil May Cry 3 took me 30 hours and I thought that was perfect too.

Basically, I consider a game worth the money based on 2 conditions: if it is an ARCADE style game (like Street Fighter, or Raiden Trad) then I divide the money spent on purchase by the total credits I would have poured into the arcade based on replays/continues. I don't obsessively keep playcounts, it's more like a general guess kind of thing. I figure I have put at least 150 credits into Raiden Project so far, and that game was a quarter in my arcade. I paid $30 for Raiden Project, so I'm good.

Second, is total purchase price divided by hours of enjoyment. If I get $2 per hour of entertainment out of it, then it was worth it. Metroid: Other M might have only taken me 10 hours to beat, but I spent at least 12 more hours replaying through segments, so I almost achieved my arbitrary $2 per hour rule.

sorry for the novel

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really understand this preference for short games. "Yes, please give me less content for full price!"

Give me a good long game, 30 hour adventure, 50 hour RPG, hell, I'd like to see a 20 hour FPS or Rail shooter.

I think it's a shitty developer that can't keep me interested for a long period of time.

Different locations, different challenges, engrossing story. 7 hours? I'm just getting warmed up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    I don't really understand this preference for short games. "Yes, please give me less content for full price!"
    I guess it depends how much time you have for gaming. I don't have any more than (maybe) a few hours per week. If you give me a 50 hour game, I'll never be able to finish it. Something 10-20 hours is almost too much. Short and sweet, that's what I like.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

I agree with most of the comments above. Only a few points to add...
    Sometimes where or when the save points are can make a difference in game length, since I like to have a good spot to end my session.

One thing that can be annoying is when a game is going along at a decent pace, but then the end boss takes weeks to get the game finished!
    For me, Geist, Silent Hill 2 & Resident Evil 5 come to mind.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    However, I'm about 15 hours into Dragon Quest 8 and I already think it is gonna run wayyy too long.
    If you're already finding it dragging, I'd honestly recommend abandoning it now seeing as you've barely scratched the surface. I'm a self-admitted slowpoke in RPGs, but my fiance, who goes through them briskly, spent around 100 hours on that game (and that's without even doing the post-game bonus stuff). He really enjoyed the game the whole game through, but I imagine it would be a miserable experience to complete the game for someone who's not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like long games, but like everyone else, I'm busy. So what is critical to me is being able to save at any point. I hate it when I have to "get to a save point".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shingetter View Post
    I like long games, but like everyone else, I'm busy. So what is critical to me is being able to save at any point. I hate it when I have to "get to a save point".
    This too. I have shit to do, man. Im getting older, (mid 20s) and the time to play games better be worth it or decent length. Games in the old days was a few hours or 5 minutes, it didnt have to be epic all the time..just because we have the tech now to extend and make things grander doesnt mean we have to have these kinds of games all the time (which of course isnt all games nowadays)

@joshnickerson except at the end of that comic i wouldn't have come back, i'd redo the final panel shot of the comic with the game on the shelf with spider webs and dust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

RPGs should last at least 40-50 hours

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.